Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2024, 12:08 PM   #1

LifePo4 drainage question

You know how it goes sometimes, you search for the answer to YOUR exact question and it doesn't quite match. So pardon me if I missed this particular scenario:
We have a new GeoPro 2024 19FDS trailer with 2 x 100 amp solar panels. I swapped out the 2 lead acid for 2 x 100amp lithium near the end of the season with the hopes of one more trip, but instead had to close it up for the season. I opted to cover the trailer during the off season due to dust and grime, so there went the solar panels keeping things charged.
After about 6 weeks, I checked the charge on the batteries and was surprised to see them at about 10%, yikes! I charged them back up and now recharge every 2 weeks. My question, is there something specific to this model that drains the batteries so quickly? I do not keep anything knowingly on in the trailer.
Solutions? Disconnect the batteries? Turn off all the breakers? Keeping the charger hooked up 24/7 is not a preference. There is a switch at the battery that I turn off, but this does not solve the problem.
Thanks for some suggestions!
MrCampALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:22 PM   #2

6 weeks
42 days
190ah
= 0.198 amps per hour

Good for a trailer parasitic load
Would not look further for any drain

If you want zero parasitic
Take the main negative cable off the battery
Old 04-12-2024, 01:31 PM   #3

Yup, disconnect the negative lead. My 2x206Ah LiFePO4 batteries sat uncharged for 18 months but completely disconnected from the trailer. They were fully charged (13.6V) at the start and 13.4V (99%) after 18 months. The propane detector draws .22A so if I had left the batteries connected to the trailer for 18 months, they would have been dead as a doornail.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:49 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Disconnect it. I have one sitting in basement past two years waiting for me to install it, still at 50% it was (or just above that) all this time. They barely self-discharge. The battery disconnect does not affect CO alarm draw, which seems to be a big parasitic draw.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM   #5

I think most people, when they get into a serious re-do of their electrical system, install a true battery disconnect. One connected directly to the battery, with ALL loads connected to the load side of the switch.
Just don’t forget to turn it on before towing, and make sure you turn off solar before battery, and battery before solar when turning the system on.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:04 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
I think most people, when they get into a serious re-do of their electrical system, install a true battery disconnect. One connected directly to the battery, with ALL loads connected to the load side of the switch.
Just donít forget to turn it on before towing, and make sure you turn off solar before battery, and battery before solar when turning the system on.
Very important what Half Ton Heavy said, battery must be connected to controller before panels are energized, lest you risk solar controller damage.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:20 PM   #7

It makes sense to install a disconnect switch, but until then, regarding the comments about simply disconnecting the negative on the battery, is this problematic in its own right to possibly damage the solar controller?
Old 04-12-2024, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCampALot View Post
It makes sense to install a disconnect switch, but until then, regarding the comments about simply disconnecting the negative on the battery, is this problematic in its own right to possibly damage the solar controller?
No, you you just have to be cognizant to turn of the panels before shutting the whole coach down.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:53 PM   #9

Panels are not producing power as it is under covers
If the controller has more than one output voltage would be best to connect to battery before removing cover

Or disconnect panel s as well
Old 04-12-2024, 08:56 PM   #10

This discussion about battery disconnect switch and solar controllers. Is there a DPDT battery disconnect available somewhere? If so that could kill power to both battery and solar with just one switch. I may go searching, even though I don't have solar (yet).
Old 04-12-2024, 09:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidfo View Post
This discussion about battery disconnect switch and solar controllers. Is there a DPDT battery disconnect available somewhere? If so that could kill power to both battery and solar with just one switch. I may go searching, even though I don't have solar (yet).
I just use a DC breaker for my solar panel disconnects. SPDT that way it disconnects both + and -. I flip those off first, then disconnect the batteries. Opposite sequence for powering up. Someone convinced me that I needed this vs. a fuse or a single pole breaker. I have two independent arrays that go to 2 MPPT's so I have 2 of these breakers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5710 2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	298647   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC wiring 290RL rev 2 copy.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	298648  
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCampALot View Post
You know how it goes sometimes, you search for the answer to YOUR exact question and it doesn't quite match. So pardon me if I missed this particular scenario:
We have a new GeoPro 2024 19FDS trailer with 2 x 100 amp solar panels. I swapped out the 2 lead acid for 2 x 100amp lithium near the end of the season with the hopes of one more trip, but instead had to close it up for the season. I opted to cover the trailer during the off season due to dust and grime, so there went the solar panels keeping things charged.
After about 6 weeks, I checked the charge on the batteries and was surprised to see them at about 10%, yikes! I charged them back up and now recharge every 2 weeks. My question, is there something specific to this model that drains the batteries so quickly? I do not keep anything knowingly on in the trailer.
Solutions? Disconnect the batteries? Turn off all the breakers? Keeping the charger hooked up 24/7 is not a preference. There is a switch at the battery that I turn off, but this does not solve the problem.
Thanks for some suggestions!
There are parasitic loads such as smoke detectors, CO detectors, LP detectors, radio keep-alive memory. All operate off of the 12-volt system. Normally these are powered 24/7/365 until the battery goes dead.

The solution is a suitable switch to disconnect the solar system even though it is covered, and a suitable switch to disconnect the batteries thus removing the parasitic loads.

Must remember to turn the battery switch ON FIRST and then turn the solar switch ON last. And solar OFF first and battery OFF last.

The breakers are for 120-volt systems. Turning off the converter breaker will also prevent the battery from charging. At this point, I would prefer to keep shore power connected, as I do, all of the time. Problem solved.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:07 AM   #13

Thanks to all for your replies! As always, there is more than solution.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:09 PM   #14

Get a smart shunt so you know exactly what your batteries are doing at any one moment.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
Get a smart shunt so you know exactly what your batteries are doing at any one moment.
Or get Bluetooth connected batteries. I bought and installed a cheap shunt. I consider it wasted effort & $$. At the time I had a non Bluetooth battery in the bank. Iíve since replaced it so all batteries are matching. If I need to rewire my system, Iíll remove it.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, question