Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #1

Light on power cord

Just noticed last night, that the little LED power light is not on the power cord. Everything is working. Big deal? Just puzzling. If anybody has any answers, I would like to hear them.
Thanks in return.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Not sure what you are referring to.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #3

Lou, I think he has a power strip with a switch on it.

Some of those switches are lighted and some are not. Did this one ever light? In any case, if the cord works it probably isn't worth worrying about.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure either, but going to ask. Never seen a light on a power cord, however I have a 30 amp RV extension cord, that does have a small orange neon bulb that comes on when the extension cord gets power. It lights up the end that the RV cord lugs in to. Now is the bulb in maybe an extension cord, and you aren't using it right now?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Not sure what you are referring to.
The factory furnished 30amp power cord on our 12Flagstaff 8528RKWS has a small red led light on the trailer end that lights when the cord is plugged into power. The light is on as long as the male end is plugged into power and the female end does not have to be plugged into the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00050.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	17678   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00051.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	17679  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #6

if everything is working but the light on the cord don't worry about it the bulb might be out because it got dropped I don't think the light means anything except there is power which you already know because everything works

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #7

The only way I can see the 30 A power cord light is when I am (Laying/Crawling) on the ground directly under the screw on connection at the trailer. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Thanks.

Seems pretty useless since the breaker should be off when you plug in or unplug anyway.

You will know pretty quick if the pedestal is broken since you should test the outlets BEFORE you plug in.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

My cord has the "idicator" light on it as well. Personally I would rather have the older style, hard wired cord like my last trailer had. I also don't care for the bright yellow cord. I prefer black. This is something I may change down the road if there is room for a cord storage bay.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #10

Yup, ours has the same red light on the cord. Never really understood the need for it, as it is only easily visible at night...that is without laying on the ground directly below the cord.

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
My cord has the "idicator" light on it as well. Personally I would rather have the older style, hard wired cord like my last trailer had. I also don't care for the bright yellow cord. I prefer black. This is something I may change down the road if there is room for a cord storage bay.
May change your mind when the Temporary summer mowing help at the Campgrounds says,(I didnt see that black wire in the grass! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
May change your mind when the Temporary summer mowing help at the Campgrounds says,(I didnt see that black wire in the grass! Youroo!!
Good point, except I rarely camp in campgrounds.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #13

Yes I guess it is called an indicator light, yes it is towards the bottom. The light kinda reflects off the camper, I can see it coming out of my garage. That is how I noticed it. But with all the problems I had with my "other" RV, I am very cautious with this one.
JeffnTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #14

I recently installed a 30A Marinco detachable cordset. Not as happy with it as I thought I would be. The plug/connector have a poor fit as far as I am concerned. But now we have a nice compartment available for storing stuff where the cord use to push into. Great for stuff you don't use much like emerg. supplies and spares.

Anyway, if you can't see the indicator light from the topside, the factory installed the insert into the inlet house wrong. Easy fix if you want. Can you imagine the factory making an error like this?

I like the indicator light because once I have turned the breaker on, if you glance at the light and see it on, you know you are good to go and don't have to go inside your RV to confirm power is on. I know, you should be checking to see that the recept. is wired correctly first, but in any case, you should never turn the power on unless you have the cord plugged in first at both ends first. Never.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
...Anyway, if you can't see the indicator light from the topside, the factory installed the insert into the inlet house wrong. Easy fix if you want. Can you imagine the factory making an error like this?...
I think you might be mistaken, if you turn the fixture over on the trailer to put the indicator light on top, the cover door will be on the bottom. I think it should be on the top as furnished by FR.

Big question is why did they put the indicator light on the wrong side?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #16

dunnc, I'm not sure sure about this. The lid and light on ours are both on top. I just looked at it and I can't see any screws on the face of the insert. They must be accessible from the inside? I am pretty sure that the insert piece with the prongs on it is separate from the housing, otherwise there'd be no way of attaching the cable connector and getting wiring on the interior side to the part with the prongs on it. Maybe it depends on who the manufacturer is. Our is Marinco but there are 2-3 others out there like Conntek. Funny, I just can't picture in my head right now how I put it together.

Am wondering if maybe there is a keyway and slot that makes it possible to install the insert in place in only one spot?

I can't imagine a manufacturer making an inlet and cord so that you can't see the indicator light. That's just not right.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
dunnc, I'm not sure sure about this. The lid and light on ours are both on top. I just looked at it and I can't see any screws on the face of the insert. They must be accessible from the inside? I am pretty sure that the insert piece with the prongs on it is separate from the housing, otherwise there'd be no way of attaching the cable connector and getting wiring on the interior side to the part with the prongs on it. Maybe it depends on who the manufacturer is. Our is Marinco but there are 2-3 others out there like Conntek. Funny, I just can't picture in my head right now how I put it together.

Am wondering if maybe there is a keyway and slot that makes it possible to install the insert in place in only one spot?

I can't imagine a manufacturer making an inlet and cord so that you can't see the indicator light. That's just not right.
Don't know, when it quits raining, I will take the receptacle off the trailer and see if it can be turned. I would like the indicator light on the top. I painted a black stripe on the cord to help with orientation as CRS has infected me pretty bad.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Don't know, when it quits raining, I will take the receptacle off the trailer and see if it can be turned. I would like the indicator light on the top. I painted a black stripe on the cord to help with orientation as CRS has infected me pretty bad.
Finally got around to removing the receptacle. I found you can remove 3 small screws that attach the actual receptacle to the door/trim ring and rotate the receptacle 120° which will put the light on the cord at either 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position. Either is better than the 6 o'clock position from the factory. This (2 o'clock)position makes it so you position the light on top, insert and twist to the right for seating. Makes no difference to the operation, just makes it easier to plug in the power cord for us old coots with CRS.