RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-17-2021, 09:29 PM   #1

Lighted Mini Rocker Switch

All,
Tried searching but no luck. Does anyone know if there are lighted mini rocker switches for the panels that light up all the time? The only ones I can find only light up when you turn the switch on.

I want to replace the light switch in the panel so I can find it in the dark. I already have a battery light switch nearby, but it's really bright. Wakes up the campground when I turn it on .

Just trying to find a lighted switch if they make them.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:56 PM   #2

Yes they make the type of switch you are describing, but I have no personal experience with them.

https://www.mouser.com/new/carling-technologies/carling-hr-halo-rocker-switches/

There's a video on that page that may be helpful
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #3

Thanks for the response.

I couldn't find any direct replace mini rockers that light up all the time.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #4

There are independent lamp circuit spst rocker switches but I think the mounting body is the same as a dpdt switch. In this example just switch the 12Vdc in and out and terminate the light ground side to chassis ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ON-OFF-Contura-II-Wiring-Diagram.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	246187  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
There are independent lamp circuit spst rocker switches but I think the mounting body is the same as a dpdt switch. In this example just switch the 12Vdc in and out and terminate the light ground side to chassis ground.
I think bubbles is right. Just try swapping the wiring on your present lighted switches, if you have any, and see if the light in the switch stays on all the time. Be care NOT to switch the ground terminal on the switch, as you could short circuit the +12 volts to ground.

The downside is when your RV is not being used, these lighted switches will be a constant drain on the battery unless you are on shore power or use the battery disconnect switch.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I think bubbles is right. Just try swapping the wiring on your present switches and see if the light in the switch stays on all the time. Be care NOT to switch the ground terminal on the switch, as you could short circuit the +12 volts to ground.

The downside is when your RV is not being used, these lighted switches will be a constant drain on the battery unless you are on shore power or use the battery disconnect switch.
Yes, I did forget to mention specifically to also try it with existing switch so thanks for picking up on that for the OP.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, I did forget to mention specifically to also try it with existing switch so thanks for picking up on that for the OP.
I have some lighted switches lying around so Iíll try to wire one with the light constant on and report back.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I have some lighted switches lying around so Iíll try to wire one with the light constant on and report back.
This just in.......

Illinois has just reported a state wide power outage.
It was preceded by a sound.....

PFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #9

I found what I needed at Allied Electronics, (866)433-5722. They have been a great source for my needs.

https://www.alliedelec.com/
hupmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
This just in.......

Illinois has just reported a state wide power outage.
It was preceded by a sound.....

PFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

Figures. Always thought it would happen there or in Washington or New York...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:36 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep posted for the wiring experiment.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:37 PM   #12

Lighted Mini Rocker Switch

Hello,
You can contact Sigma Switches at 574-294-5776 or www.sigmaswitches.com and we will direct you where to make the purchase.
Abyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #13

I grabbed a lighted switch I previously removed from my RV, labeled Sigma, Elkhart, IN. The switch has terminals labeled (blank), +, -. With the battery negative connected to -, and the battery +12 volt supply connected to the unlabeled terminal, the light will be on in either switch position (illustrated in the photos but not real clear), while in the on position only, 12 volts will pass on to your switched lights or device attached to the + terminal.

Typically this switch is wired ground to -, 12 volt supply to +, and the blank terminal is the output to your light fixture or device. The light in the switch lights only when the switch is on. If you swap the wires on the + and blank terminals, the switch light will always be on, and the switch will work as normal to control your light fixtures or device. No special switch needed if you want it lit up all the time.

The schematic for the switch is as bubbles posted earlier. The SPST switch contact is between the (blank) and + terminals, the switch’s light is internally wired between the + and - terminals.

I will not be liable for problems caused by anyone rewiring their switches. I only show what I observed with my switch during my test.

Ken, since I used an isolated battery for the test, no widespread power outages occurred as a result!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47B2FA80-5E22-473F-8CEB-70228A8E9E73.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	246212   Click image for larger version

Name:	08AD4697-C6AA-4B96-BF50-485944922010.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	246213   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9CD0678-022E-4F7A-AAE3-1A9E5EAB81B5.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	246214  
Old 01-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #14

I pulled the panel earlier to take a look. Then accidentally turned on the water pump which then caused water to go past the pump check valve. Went outside and saw water on the ground. I leave my fresh tank open all the time and connect with city water. Anyway, had to fix that issue, so I quit with the switch. I may mess with it again tomorrow.

My switch connectors were labelled 1, 2 and 3. I think 1 is ground, based off testing it with my meter. Of course, all the wires are white. Is there a standard for what goes to what with that numbering sequence?
Old 01-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
I pulled the panel earlier to take a look. Then accidentally turned on the water pump which then caused water to go past the pump check valve. Went outside and saw water on the ground. I leave my fresh tank open all the time and connect with city water. Anyway, had to fix that issue, so I quit with the switch. I may mess with it again tomorrow.

My switch connectors were labelled 1, 2 and 3. I think 1 is ground, based off testing it with my meter. Of course, all the wires are white. Is there a standard for what goes to what with that numbering sequence?
Typically with your switch terminal 3 or the copper colored terminal would be the ground wire for the light. Terminals 1 & 2 would be swapped to illuminate the light continuously and the switch still function as installed. I did say "typically". It is easy to check the switch with your meter.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:43 PM   #16

To make it easy turn the switch on. Disconnect one of the wires. If the light goes out and the thing it turns on is still on you have found the light ground wire. Turn the switch off, reverse the 2 wires and reconnect the light ground wire; the light should illuminate with the switch off. If the wire you pull from the switch turns off what it controls; that is not the light ground wire. Reconnect the wire and try again with another wire.

Tags
light, switch