Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

lion energy lithium batteries

e been thinking about lithium for some time and have read everything i can about them. the 'gold standard' seems to be the 100ah battle born batteries. but we all know their price.

there is a very good sale at costco.com for lion energy ut1300 lithium batteries. they are group 24 size and a 2 pack of them through costco.com is $250 less per battery than the battle born list price.

has any body used these batteries and how have they worked for you?

i have one concern that i am still trying to understand. we have an onan 5500 generator and the onan manual says the generator needs a minimum of 450 CCA to start. when we start the generator is normally cranks for least 10 seconds or so before it starts. i can't find a spec on the lion batteries that tell me if they will support this starting load.

i have read some posts about people that installed lithium batteries (perhaps not a name brand) and were then unable to start their generator.

has anybody used the lion batteries to start generators? what size generator? how did they work?

the costco.com sale ends on july 5.

thanks
Old 06-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #2

Their spec's say they can discharge up to 150 amp continuously. I'm thinking that any discharge rate greater than 150 amp will cause the BMS to shut down.

Now the question is what does your generator's starter motor actually draw? Before investing in these batteries it might be a good idea to use a clamp type DC ammeter and read the cranking current on the generator while cranking. BTW, cranking current can increase significantly when temp COLD.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:54 PM   #3

i fully concur with titanmike. CCC is cold cranking amps and it is a measure of the amps that a battery can provide at zero degrees Fahrenheit. the greater the temperature the more the battery can provide.

so it looks like two ut1300 batteries (2) can provide a peak of 300 amps (150 per battery) yet the generator might need a minimum of 450.

the specs on the battle born batteries say they will provide 200 amps per battery for up to 30 second and even more on a surge basis?

so back to the question, will these batteries start the generator?
Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 PM   #4

You can message Lion and ask them. The only caveat is that what they tell you may or may not be correct LOL. I contacted them for the torque specs of thatir battery bolts and they came back with..."just tighten them firmly".

The problem with Lion is that they have had 3 versions of their 12V batteries come out in a 6 month period. What happens when you have 2 or more of their batteries and one takes a dump? Chances of them finding a battery for you that matches your remaining ones may or may not happen. The exact same thing just happened with some Renogy LiFePO4 batteries. Customers are pissed because one of their batteries failed and now they have to swap out all of their old batteries.

How many batteries are you planning on buying?

Personally, even though the BattleBorns are more money, for the most part they are the least hassle and they are put together in the USA and you can talk on the phone with techs that are actually the ones building the batteries. The Lion guys are just having a manufacturer in China make them for them. In fact, you can likely buy the exact same battery from a China supplier for less than Lion/Costco is selling them for.

Buy once...cry once!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:54 AM   #5

I was able to start my generator when I was at 8% SOC. This was when my Battery Control Center was defective.

See thread My coach batteries stopped charging from the alternator. (Bad SDC-107A)

I did have four Battle Born batteries at that time.

I did remember an older post of someone that purchased some cheaper lithium batteries. He had to start his engine first to start his generator.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #6

i did contact lion about the starting capacity and didn't get a good definitive answer. i also remember a couple of threads about people putting in off brand lithium batteries that were not able to start the generator. that's got me concerned as we have a 5th wheel and it would take battery cables and a jump start to get the generator started if the lithium batteries were unable to do it. that max continuous amperage of 150 amps on their lithium is a concern. battle born specs say 200 amps for 30 seconds. saving a couple of dollars is not always the best approach.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i did contact lion about the starting capacity and didn't get a good definitive answer.
Not surprised.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
e been thinking about lithium for some time and have read everything i can about them. the 'gold standard' seems to be the 100ah battle born batteries. but we all know their price.

there is a very good sale at costco.com for lion energy ut1300 lithium batteries. they are group 24 size and a 2 pack of them through costco.com is $250 less per battery than the battle born list price.

has any body used these batteries and how have they worked for you?

i have one concern that i am still trying to understand. we have an onan 5500 generator and the onan manual says the generator needs a minimum of 450 CCA to start. when we start the generator is normally cranks for least 10 seconds or so before it starts. i can't find a spec on the lion batteries that tell me if they will support this starting load.

i have read some posts about people that installed lithium batteries (perhaps not a name brand) and were then unable to start their generator.

has anybody used the lion batteries to start generators? what size generator? how did they work?

the costco.com sale ends on july 5.

thanks
Suggest you might want to look at YouTube videos by love your RV. He has done several several videos on Lion batteries

Also great caution made be in order before using a lithium battery to start an engine. Depending upon the batteries you may need as many amps of battery as the cold cranking equivalent required for your engine.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #9

Angry Batterys

Don't buy junk from China.
Marc G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc G View Post
Don't buy junk from China.
Good luck finding much that isn't made in China.

You probably made your post using a computer or phone that was made in China (even if it had an American name).

Old 07-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #11

Made in China

You are correct, but what I am saying is if an American made product is available, purchase it over a Chinese Product.
Marc G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc G View Post
You are correct, but what I am saying is if an American made product is available, purchase it over a Chinese Product.
I prefer to purchase the product that meets my needs and is good quality.

It's not always the American made product that fits that criteria.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #13
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I prefer to purchase the product that meets my needs and is good quality.

It's not always the American made product that fits that criteria.
Yep, quality and price. I don’t give a rip where it is made.

I have recently added a rule that I won’t buy a product being shipped FROM China. I ordered a nice leather case/wallet for my phone about 3 months ago. It hasn’t even left China yet. I have disputed the charge and emailed the company to cancel the order.

When you buy online, look for the words, “ships from...”
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries