Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #1

Lithium battery question

I have a 233s roo.
1: can I just buy a lithium battery to replace an agm battery.
2: can I have a mix of battery types. One lithium one agm
Plan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan Man View Post
I have a 233s roo.
1: can I just buy a lithium battery to replace an agm battery.
2: can I have a mix of battery types. One lithium one agm
On #1, yes you can buy one and replace an AGM. You can also use your existing converter/charger however it won't fully charge the Lithium battery unless it has the ability to force it into a 14.4 volt or more output like the Charge Wizard on Progressive Dynamic's units. The regular converter will top battery charge around 90% and won't "cell balance"..

On #2, you might get away with a Lithium and AGM battery in parallel but because of the totally different characteristics I certainly wouldn't.

If you have one Lithium battery and a charger that will fully charge it, you will have essentially the same capacity of two AGM batteries as the Lithium battery can be discharged far deeper (without long term damage) than the AGM. At 1/4th the weight of two AGM's too.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #3

Do I then need to replace the converter on the camper or is there some alternative. If I only charge to 90 percent would that damage the lithium battery? Or does it defeat the whole purpose
Plan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan Man View Post
Do I then need to replace the converter on the camper or is there some alternative. If I only charge to 90 percent would that damage the lithium battery? Or does it defeat the whole purpose
A Lithium battery will maintain voltage regardless of charge state whereas a typical battery will slowly drop voltage while in use. Therefore, a standard converter that isn’t designed for Lithium batteries will be looking at that voltage and assume the Lithium battery is fully charged and won’t go into a bulk charge state. Basically you’ll constantly be trickle charging.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

Do not mix battery types, it will only lead to frustration and $$. If you do go lithium, I recommend the wfco lithium converter, it is plug and play, and keeps the batteries at the correct voltage of 13.6 long term, and charges to 14.6 when needed.
I strongly recommend this over say, the PD which is just a simple power supply that does not have the correct float voltage.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8950l2-mba/

I bought mine on ebay for half retail brand new in box from a retailer.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
Do not mix battery types, it will only lead to frustration and $$. If you do go lithium, I recommend the wfco lithium converter, it is plug and play, and keeps the batteries at the correct voltage of 13.6 long term, and charges to 14.6 when needed.
I strongly recommend this over say, the PD which is just a simple power supply that does not have the correct float voltage.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8950l2-mba/

I bought mine on ebay for half retail brand new in box from a retailer.
2X
Do not run lithium & AGM in parallel. I did this spread to understand the voltage of my Battle Born batteries.

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery