Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Good Ole Dad

Lithium Lio n Battery. Just 1?

Anybody use Just 1. I Have 2 Deep Cycle Batteries on my TT. The Newest Battery is almost 3 Years old and it Looks like I May have the Beginning of a Cell Failure (1st Cell next to Positive Post is below 2 Volts after Charging.). The Oldest is almost 5 years Old. I have been Interested in The SOK Lithium Iron Phosphate . I do not want to Replace both of the Deep cycle Batteries. I do not Boondock much but would still be Able to with an LION because of how low you can Draw it. Am I missing something Here? O Great Minds of FR what say You.
Hensley Arrow.
2021 262RL StarCraft.
G.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

If you have two lead acid 12 volt batteries in parallel then only half should be u sd ed before recharging. If both are around 100 amp hours capacity then following the 50% rule you only have 100 smps available. If you've been following this practice and you've hsd plenty of battery power for your needs then a single LiFePo4 100 amp hour battery should be plenty.

A converter change would be as advisable for fully charging it but a "hack" that works OK is to purchase a Battery Minder with lithium capability. Use it to top off the battery after existing converter has done most of the heavy lifting. One like a NOCO Genius is half the cost of a converter and can be plugged into a power outlet when hooked to shore power. Doesn't need to be disconnected while converter is working either. It'll just provide the higher voltage to top off and cell balance when no load on systen like at night.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #3

Just a note not sure about SOK Lithium worth a check with MFG, but Battle Born Lithium's can hold a charge for a year and per manufacture do not need a "trickle charger" you can put them away, unplug for up to a year if put away at full charge.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.D. View Post
Anybody use Just 1. I Have 2 Deep Cycle Batteries on my TT. The Newest Battery is almost 3 Years old and it Looks like I May have the Beginning of a Cell Failure (1st Cell next to Positive Post is below 2 Volts after Charging.). The Oldest is almost 5 years Old. I have been Interested in The SOK Lithium Iron Phosphate . I do not want to Replace both of the Deep cycle Batteries. I do not Boondock much but would still be Able to with an LION because of how low you can Draw it. Am I missing something Here? O Great Minds of FR what say You.
Lithium is the way to go.

But do not mix a new LiFePO4 with a lead-acid battery in parallel. Trash the old lead-acid batteries. They have different charging voltages.

Also because of the higher LiFePO4 voltages, you will need a way to recharge it.

Bottom line is one 100ah LiFePO4 battery will replace two 100ah lead-acid batteries.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
...Bottom line is one 100ah LiFePO4 battery will replace two 100ah lead-acid batteries.
And the next four or so replacement lead-acid batteries. LiFePO4 batteries outlast the heck outta lead-acid batteries.

When my LA batteries start dying, I am going LiFePO4.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
Good Ole Dad

Thank You All for the Comments.
Hensley Arrow.
2021 262RL StarCraft.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #7

TItanMike's idea of the trickle charger to allow for the use of the existing converter is an interesting idea that seems to solve the problem easily.

I had settled on the dc-dc charger solution in my mind. Thank you for this additional option.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #8

We started out with one, a few months later I ran across a deal that I couldn't refuse on a second one so went ahead and picked it up.

Battle Born recommends the batteries be within 2 yrs in age, so I figured I get the second and not have to worry about batteries for a very long time.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #9

I replaced 2 lead acid as well with 100ah battleborn, also relocated behind the power panel under fridge, stays at room temp. I haven’t ran out of power while boondocking, I do have solar though, one thing I have noticed is charging is faster, I do have the lithium charger.
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #10

Just finished installing my 2 Battleborns. Found a sale through Northern Arizona Solar for $849, but that was short lived. I would wait a little as they seem to be going down. I contacted Progressive Dynamics about my switchover to Lithium. I have a PD4575 converter. Their tech told me to use the Power Boost button, which increases the charging voltage to 14.2 volts for 4 hours. It then will drop back to 13.4 volts. That should be enough to bring them to full charge. I would probably just shut the converter off after that. The lithium replacement for my converter just maintains a 14.2 volt charge all of the time. It does not throttle back at all. They state that you cannot go back to AGM or wet cell if you convert to that converter. I don't think I ever will, but why spend the money if my original converter will do the job. Won't know till next spring when I get to use it all. Check to see what converter you have and contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend.
If you are going to go Lithium, plan on installing a Victron, or Renogy monitor. Your idiot lights are just not adequate to monitor your battery condition. The guys on this site are very helpful in setting up your system. They have helped me with everything from solar, to DC to DC charger, to inverter, to battery monitor, to circuit breakers.
Remember, Battleborns have a 10 year warranty. Have you ever seen a wet cell, or AGM with that kind of warranty. I figure they'll outlast the trailer.
Also watch Will Prowse videos on YouTube. He gives you the lowdown on cheaper Lithium's, and many other solar setups that apply to RV's.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Remember, Battleborns have a 10 year warranty. Have you ever seen a wet cell, or AGM with that kind of warranty. I figure they'll outlast the trailer.
And that's just the warranty period. Many who have been working with LiFePo4 batteries are starting to think that the 10 year period is very conservative. Unless one is discharging them at max rate daily and recharging at max rate as well there are some who are saying that 20 plus years may be in the cards. That of course assuming normal environmental conditions.

Fancy way of saying the better you care for them the longer they'll last.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #12

I've seen a number of videos on how to increase the life span. Heat is the enemy for the cells.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #13
Good Ole Dad

You Guys and Gals Rock. TitanMike you Solved an Issue I didn't Realize I had. Charging while Boondocking. Noco here I come, Ha. So I am Starting with 1 LION 12v 100 ah, going to use My TT Inverter and a NOCO (When I have Champion Running) to Keep the Battery Filled Up and what ever else is needed at the Time. I have a Battery and Monitor Bought and should be here in about 2 Weeks. We will try this out in January in the High Dessert of Southern Calif. If the Heater will Stay on all Night Long that Means Momma's going to be Happy.
Hensley Arrow.
2021 262RL StarCraft.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #14

Hi All-- First post, so sorry if I'm retreading old ground.

I am trying to replace my house lead-acid with a Battle Born 100 AH. The alternator is too big (I'd need 4 Battle Borns to sop it up safely) so on their recommendation I bought the Orion-tr DC-DC charger. I also know how to switch our converter over to Lithium. The thing I cannot find is exactly how to hook things up. We have the standard BIM-160. Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing how to hook things together? I assume the BIM needs to stay in place as it connects to the BCC and controls some functions, and that I can't use the BIM as the power source for the Orion since the BIM voltage senses and switches on and off.

Can anyone help? Sorry if the answer is out there--I haven't been able to find it
J and R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery