Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 05:24 PM   #1

Looking to add a battery monitor

Looking to add a renogy battery monitor with shunt to my 2019 coachmen freedom express pilot. I'm assuming the fuse panel has a direct power and ground as this set up requires that. If so how do I access the panel ro tap into it, thanks.
Tweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #2

The shunt needs to be installed in a manner that it is the ONLY ITEM between battery and ALL ground/negative wires.

If you have only ONE wire connected to the battery negative post and that wire goes all the way to the Fuse panel then you can install the shunt between that wire and the negative connection to the power panel.

If not, you won't get accurate readings.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:59 PM   #3

So I will need to put it in line before the power goes into the fuse panel then?
Tweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeder View Post
So I will need to put it in line before the power goes into the fuse panel then?
The shunt needs to be the ONLY electrical connedtion to the NEGATIVd POST of the battery. It can be at the battery or at the power panel's negative connection but with nothing connected to battery negative between battery and Shunt but wire connecting shunt and battery.

Because things like radio memory, lpg leak detector, awning power, and tongue jack are connected direct to battery, the best way to make sure all current in and out of the battery is accurately measured, shunts are mounted AT the battery and not at the power panel.

This has made bluetooth shunts like the Victron Smart shunt popular as all information is transmitted wirelessly to a smart phone. Connect shunt to negative post, connect 12v system negative to shunt, and run a positive lead from battery to shunt to provide the few milliamps needed to power the Shunt.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:23 PM   #5

The shunt is connected to the negative side of the battery. I bought th Aili battery monitor on Amazon for $44 I think it does a good job especially for the price.

You can see the shunt mounted to the wall in the attached picture. I made a box to put the meter in. We just got back from a month long trip and it worked fine..

https://a.co/5rmxCab
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_171324.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	275807   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220320_182748.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	275808  
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:25 AM   #6
Steve & Linda M.

I installed the Victron in our, just Sold, Class A. The latest version, with Bluetooth, is : https://www.amazon.com/VICTRON-SMART...%2C124&sr=8-50

I had the older version with the shunt and Bluetooth device being separate units. They almost provide too much info, IMO. But it's handy for checking battery state.

I did have to run a rather long ground cable to the shunt, and back. There was no room for all that equipment in the battery compartment.

As noted by others, run the main ground cable to the shunt. Then a return cable back to your main, I assume coach, ground. I added one of these, black one, in the battery compartment. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:43 AM   #7

Make sure the shunt unit you buy has built in Peukart compensation or it will QUICKLY go out of synch with reality...this is the major difference between the cheap shunt units and the 150-200 buck units like the victron and trimetric. The cheaper ones are useful compared to taking voltage readings... but if you plan to boondock a lot..you want an accurate picture to know what is left in your batts based on HOW they are being used today... and when they are 100% full and you can turn off the generator.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Make sure the shunt unit you buy has built in Peukart compensation or it will QUICKLY go out of synch with reality...this is the major difference between the cheap shunt units and the 150-200 buck units like the victron and trimetric. The cheaper ones are useful compared to taking voltage readings... but if you plan to boondock a lot..you want an accurate picture to know what is left in your batts based on HOW they are being used today... and when they are 100% full and you can turn off the generator.
You will need to sync up the meter often regardless of Peukart compensation or not. Heck, entering the Peukart compensation factor is no more than an educated guess in the first place and I don’t remember it even being something you could do with a Trimetric. Inputting the charge efficiency is also a guess. So is Ah capacity. I guess what I’m saying is they’re useful and I have one, but they’re not gospel.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeder View Post
I am not sure the Negative Runs to the panel like the positive does. To be safe I would put the shunt near the battery/batteries. Get a really heavy cable from batteries to shunt then everything else that wants ground, including to the frame, goes on the other side of the shunt. The shunt will want some + so take it right off the battery too.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:09 PM   #10

WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
I made a box to put the meter in.

Quality Craftsmanship, Elegantly simple, Beautiful wiring, real nice stain color.

Are you taking orders?
Richard in Milwaukee
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post
Quality Craftsmanship, Elegantly simple, Beautiful wiring, real nice stain color.

Are you taking orders?
Richard in Milwaukee
Sorry I'm not taking orders, but Thank you for the compliments. I had some 3x 1/4" oak trim and walnut stain lying around. FYI it takes a 54mm or 2 1/8" hole saw for this meter.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
The shunt is connected to the negative side of the battery. I bought th Aili battery monitor on Amazon for $44 I think it does a good job especially for the price.

You can see the shunt mounted to the wall in the attached picture. I made a box to put the meter in. We just got back from a month long trip and it worked fine..

Every time you post it, I love that clean homemade battery box.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Every time you post it, I love that clean homemade battery box.
Thank you,

I used 280ah lifepo4 cells and there wasn't any pre-made boxes. The wood worked out as it gave me a place to mount the BMS and battery balancer. ( just make sure your screws don't go all the way through) with all the potential vibration I could make the box tight enough fit that when I turn it upside down the cells will not fall out. I also made the bottom of the box bigger so I could fasten the box to the floor.

Using a router to round off the edges just gives it a more finished look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_162945.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	275867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_201802.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	275868  

Tags