Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2022, 09:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM2109S View Post
Hclarkx, that is an option for the microwave. A previous house microwave operated like yours, continuously at a reduced power v cycling full power. Loved it!, and I believe it too was a Panasonic. It was the only microwave I've owned that didn't cycle full power.

That doesn't solve the toaster or Keurig problem though. The Keurig is a heavy draw at 1475w. I could get a stove top percolator but my kids would be super disappointed since they gave me the Keurig Mini specifically for camper use.
See above post. Our Nespresso sneaks in under the wire at 1025W.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:10 PM   #22

The inverter microwaves can vary power like that.
Pretty sure they use a type of toroidal transformer too, and that's why they don't weigh a ton anymore.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
The inverter microwaves can vary power like that.
Pretty sure they use a type of toroidal transformer too, and that's why they don't weigh a ton anymore.
Yes. My kitchen is at the back of the fiver. Shedding about 10# back there was a bonus with the microwave swap-out.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #24
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Indeed it does. That's where the inverter comes in. Panasonic uses the inverter to set magnetron voltage per the level setting (0-10). As such the input power is a function of the level setting and does not change while cooking. Here's how it varies with setting:

Level --- input power

10 ----1460W
8 ------1260
6 ------960
5 ------790
4 ----- 680
3 ------416
2 ------416
1 ------416

Level 3 does oatmeal in 10 minutes without boiling over. Level 1 warm cat food. Level 5 does baked potatos in 15-20 minutes. Level 5 does two lattes in 5-6 minutes.

It's slow but we are usually not in a hurry when camping.
This is excellent. Would be nice to have microwave without having to upgrade inverter. You are right, slow is fine when camping. Would be nice to reheat a plate, or my mug of coffee without firing up the gas oven. I'll be sure to look for this type of microwave when I need to replace the OEM one.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:12 PM   #25

I'm impressed that you warm cat food. We thought we spoiled ours

Quote:
Indeed it does. That's where the inverter comes in. Panasonic uses the inverter to set magnetron voltage per the level setting (0-10). As such the input power is a function of the level setting and does not change while cooking. Here's how it varies with setting:

Level --- input power

10 ----1460W
8 ------1260
6 ------960
5 ------790
4 ----- 680
3 ------416
2 ------416
1 ------416

Level 3 does oatmeal in 10 minutes without boiling over. Level 1 warm cat food. Level 5 does baked potatos in 15-20 minutes. Level 5 does two lattes in 5-6 minutes.

It's slow but we are usually not in a hurry when camping.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:34 PM   #26

So, the BMS rating is also the limit at which it will take charging amps, but can the BMS be relied upon as a charge limit?

I've never been one to press anything to its point of protection, and just consider those limits something to avoid approaching.
If those batteries can be used like that they could be a drop in replacement for me.
My inverter/charger is selectable, and can be set to Lipo4, and my solar charger is also selectable.

My alternator will still attempt to throw as many amps at the house batteries as they'll take up to its limit of 230 or whatever the exact rating is unless I install a DC to DC charger, too. We rarely boondock, but I sure would love to lose the lead/acid weight.
I don't have or care about installing an inverter, because if we want to use the microwave, it's not going to be in the wee hours, so we'll just run the generator which doesn't ever get much use anyway.
One of the 100 amp batteries would be better than the 2 27s we have now, if they could be considered a drop in replacement.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:03 PM   #27

The BMS will not "limit" charging current. It will simply open a switch (internal solid state switch) if the charging current gets too high for the BMS or the battery. When this happens the battery will still supply load but no charging will occur. The BMS will close that switch in a few seconds, but open it again if the charge current is still too high. And repeat.

Using the BMS this way is not ideal and may be a bit risky. When the battery is suddenly removed from the charging system, the voltage may spike a bit before the charger brings it down to it's bulk voltage setting (within milliseconds). This is not necessarily a problem but best to avoid if possible by sizing the charger.

The BMS does balancing and otherwise just protects the battery from abuse.

Whether the LiFePO4 is a problem for the alternator depends on several things. If the battery is close to the alternator and the wire is short and not small, you are correct to be concerned. A DC-DC converter rated comfortably below the BMS/Battery max charge current is wise.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:47 PM   #28

In other words cycling on its limit, gotcha, I agree not a good idea.

Quote:
The BMS will not "limit" charging current. It will simply open a switch (internal solid state switch) if the charging current gets too high for the BMS or the battery. When this happens the battery will still supply load but no charging will occur. The BMS will close that switch in a few seconds, but open it again if the charge current is still too high. And repeat.

Using the BMS this way is not ideal and may be a bit risky. When the battery is suddenly removed from the charging system, the voltage may spike a bit before the charger brings it down to it's bulk voltage setting (within milliseconds). This is not necessarily a problem but best to avoid if possible by sizing the charger.

The BMS does balancing and otherwise just protects the battery from abuse.

Whether the LiFePO4 is a problem for the alternator depends on several things. If the battery is close to the alternator and the wire is short and not small, you are correct to be concerned. A DC-DC converter rated comfortably below the BMS/Battery max charge current is wise.

Tags
battery