RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #1

Lost AC Power on A212HW

During my camping trip this weekend, the AC power initially worked. Camper was plugged into the campground 30 amp power post. AC power in the camper quit working after the first day when I turned on the AC. Initially, resetting the GFI breaker started the outlets again, but after trying to run the AC, everything quit. Tried turning off the AC breakers at the power source post and turned on again. Reconnected the power cord connections again to the camper. tried two different site power posts, but did not fix. Found the converter fan does not run. I replaced the fuses in the converter and did not fix the problem, although when each fuse was replaced, the converter fan would run for 1 second, then quit. Also tried turning on and off the converter circuit breakers, but nothing worked. DC power continued to work fine and fridge continued to work on propane. No AC power. Is this a bad converter, or suggestions?
SJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:13 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You will have to do a little trouble shooting. check your batteries and see what the voltage they are at. If the converter is working (12V charge side) you should see something above 13V if not then check to see if the converter is actually receiving the 110V from the pedestal. Check the wiring to the main broker for the converter ensure it is tight and check the breaker for proper operation. Let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:06 AM   #3

It sounds like when you turned on the AC (air conditioning) the main 30 amp AC (alternating current) breaker in the trailer may have tripped. Were there other high draw appliances running (electric water heater, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc) besides the converter at that time? If so, you may have been trying to draw more than 30 amps total and tripped the main 30 amp breaker in the trailer. Sometimes when a breaker trips it goes to a middle position and it isn't readily apparent that it has tripped. You didn't mention trying turning the main breaker off and on, only the breaker for the converter. Resetting the main breaker in the trailer would be my next step.

The converter only recharges the battery, so a bad converter wouldn't explain not having power to the AC (alternating current) outlets or the AC (air conditioning) not working. Even without the converter working the DC lights and appliances, including the refrigerator on propane, will continue to operate until the battery is dead.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #4

Back home and AC Power now Working

I am flummoxed by this AC power issue. I am back home and now everything works fine again. Tried same power cord and new one too and both worked. Need to do some electrical measurements to see if there are some issues. When was camping, tried to flip breakers both at the campsite electrical box and also on the power converter itself. At the time nothing fixed the issue. Will update later if I find out something.
SJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJMSP View Post
I am flummoxed by this AC power issue. I am back home and now everything works fine again. Tried same power cord and new one too and both worked. Need to do some electrical measurements to see if there are some issues. When was camping, tried to flip breakers both at the campsite electrical box and also on the power converter itself. At the time nothing fixed the issue. Will update later if I find out something.
Did you test the campground pedestal with a meter?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:55 PM   #6

X2 what bikendan said, it may have been the campground
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
I use a 30 amp cord at home with my 50 amp rig and few weeks ago I noticed the clock on the microwave was not on. Using a circuit tester I also found the receptacles on the GFCI with no power. The TV, sound bar and other night lights on the non-GFCI protected receptacles would show wiring was reversed but none of the lights on the devices were lit up.

Pushed the GFCI button and the GFCI tripped. Tried to reset it but no luck. Thinking it odd that the microwave would be on on a GFCI, I checked the wiring to the GFCI and I saw incoming power was there. I plugged the tester into other receptacles and the tester showed either ground to hot reversed or the hot to neutral reversed-can't remember.

I replaced the GFCI and no joy. My neighbor is a master electrician and found power to the hot and neutral to the GFCI. He began testing my power cord and found the 30 amp to 50 amp cord adapter with power to both hot and neutral. He asked me to use my 50 amp cord and found everything working correctly. He said the adapter had shorted out. We put everything back together and everything worked.

Bought a new adapter and everything is back to normal.

If you have problems again you might begin at testing your cords.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #8

Don't forget to look carefully at the inside connections of the thru-the-wall connector where the shore power cord connects on the outside. It's in the compartment that the converter and propane heater are in. Make sure that the screws that connect the inside power wires are tight. Look for signs of burnt wiring insulation from overheating.

If that's all good, remove the plastic cover on the converter and inspect the wiring there.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power