Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #1

Lost power to plugs

I lost power to some of the receptacles and the circuit breaker in the power panel is not tripped. The main GFI works and tested ok. However the two plugs in the kictchen do not work. I did test to see if the GFI works on those plugs and it does. Just no power. I assume they are run in series with the main GFI plug. I pulled the plug out seems to be all hooked up. Their cheap plugs. Not your normal plug, you push the wire into a metal clips. Only thing I can think of is it's not wired right for power. Last plug has two blacks together, then two whites together and then grounds. Any ideas.
dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #2

Are you sure u don't have power? The GFI's I have dealt with won't trip and reset unless they have power, are you sure you are testing with a working appliance?
CypressNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo View Post
I lost power to some of the receptacles and the circuit breaker in the power panel is not tripped. The main GFI works and tested ok. However the two plugs in the kictchen do not work. I did test to see if the GFI works on those plugs and it does. Just no power. I assume they are run in series with the main GFI plug. I pulled the plug out seems to be all hooked up. Their cheap plugs. Not your normal plug, you push the wire into a metal clips. Only thing I can think of is it's not wired right for power. Last plug has two blacks together, then two whites together and then grounds. Any ideas.
The outlet you find as the "last" is not the last. One black/white lead to the outlet is the supply, the second set of wires is heading to another outlet in the circuit. Internally is probably a continuous cable. See if you can ID the closest outlet the the GFCI breaker. Read the voltage to either side of the outlet and if good proceed to the next nearest outlet. Eventually the power will not be present so go back to the last one with voltage. Thats where the connection is bad. That style of outlet is special due to its shallow depth. The prong connectors are quite good when made up properly. The last outlet will only have one black and white because there's nothing else to feed. Don't overlook the outdoor recep, its also required to be on a GFCI circuit and will be part of the loop.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Coachmen Adrenaline

what model are we discussing here?
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #5

2010 stealth
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

Well, I fixed the problem. The normal plugs I reattached the wire to the screws. They were just pushed into the back of plug. Then I reinstalled the wire to the wierd plugs. Something worked