Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #1

Lots Of LED Lights

I am considering removing the single bulb, dual filament tail lights from my 2015 Micro Lite 25KS. I am frustrated with the dim lights in daylight. No one seems to notice the low to bright change when braking & turning, or when signaling a turn when the lights are on. It's getting impossible to change lanes.

I want to add three, yes three, LED lights per side: Tail (running)in Red, Turn in Amber, and Stop in Red.

I have a shopping cart ready with 4 red led lights, 2 amber led lights, and a curt 2-3 wire converter 56196. I have attached a preliminary wiring schematic.

Is what I am considering legal? Also, for you experts, what else do I need or change in order to make this work?

Thank you in advance for your trouble!

RollnStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #2

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #3

I guess my question is how would this work? I'm guessing the tail light is all red right now? How will the amber light show through? Maybe a picture of the light would help.

Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #4

What about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Combination-I...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Wiring the backup lights would be a challenge but you could probably rewire the clear for an extra bright red brake light.. not sure if that would be legal..

Have you thought about just adding more brake lights?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SPGDHJM..._9PCHFbCSVQGA7
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Team

Almost all the rest of the world mandates amber lights because they're much more pronounced to the eye than red. So I think your application would be great.

Please post pictures of the final install once you get it done.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

I understand where you're coming from.. I find that people tend to ignore trailer lights in some areas of the US. In large cities they tend to use them as a green light to cut you off. Driving can be very frustrating when that occurs.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #7

I'm not in a position to look for the details just now, but I simply bought an LED replacement fixture to replace the taillight. Turn signal is red but sure is bright.

Also considering adding this:
https://www.opt-7.com/redline-triple...yABEgJ4EfD_BwE
which you could wire for backup lights as well

This is close to the tail lights I got, but not exact.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...s/TLL16RK.html
Old 10-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #8

Look for replacement LED bulbs that are made to fit the standard sockets in your tail lights and side marker lights. It may save you the cost and time of replacing the entire fixture. I would go with the “daylight” style bulbs and go for the maximum on Lumens. Multiple LED components per bulb replacement are also recommended.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Almost all the rest of the world mandates amber lights because they're much more pronounced to the eye than red. So I think your application would be great.

Please post pictures of the final install once you get it done.
X2... I think it's a great idea.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #10

LED Update

Here is where I am now. I have used painters tape to position the lights.
- Stop / brake light at the top (it comes on when I brake!)
- Amber turn signal centered (it cycles on and off with the truck!)
- Tail / running light at the bottom (It comes on when I turn on the lights)
- Turn and tail lights function properly
- Brake and tail lights function properly

Now for the sticky wicket... whether or not the tail lights are on, when a turn signal is on, AND the brakes are applied, strange things occur.

Both brake lights blink simultaneously. During the "off" part of the cycle, the turn signal opposite the turn chosen comes on, then off when the brake lights cycle back on. (Similar to the pair of alternating caution lights or stop lights at intersections.)

The turn signal selected strobes! I am using the 2 wire to 3 wire converter and was convinced I had a ground issue. However, ALL grounds on these lights and the converter are now on a power panel ground strip, with the wires soldered and screwed down securely.

Any ideas??????????????????

Old 10-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #11
Site Team

It sounds like you're getting crossover feedback between lights somewhere. If you're absolutely sue you have the wiring correct, It's possible that you got a bad converter.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Also... make sure that converter is designed for LED lights.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #13

My understanding is the Curt controller will not function with LED lights. Curt’s website does not mention this, but eTrailer use to. May need to contact Curt and ask about the resistance load required for the system to function. LEDs may not provide the appropriate load compared to incandescents.
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:13 PM   #14

I replaced my trailer lights with LEDs for the same reason you listed. It lead to more problems for me because I had to add plate lights and a mount. If I were to do it all over again I would just add a truck tailgate lightbar to the trailer...on to your problem.

I have the same curt controller and i have some issues with it. Here is the etrailer link I found the led refrence https://www.etrailer.com/question-269919.html but strange behavior for me as well on the controller.

My issues
1. It adds a half second of delay as it tries to figure out if things are going to flash. Since I only use it for a third taillight I was ok with this but you may not be...your call.
2. Mine seems to blank out the turn for a second when I hit the brakes while flashing the blinker.
3. Its loud. Not really an issue for you at the back of the trailer.

You may need a resistor on the turn signal if the strobing is constant rather than just a few times when first cut off.

If you combine this with common grounds lots of squirrely things happened to me. I ended up using dedicated relays to isolate stop, right, left. It still will behave as described above but at least I was not getting the construction flash. I tried diodes first but the truck can bus still showed overload until I used the relays.

Hope that helps.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #15

Status Update - Still working on it!

No real update. I just wanted those of you following this understand that when I am done, I will post the solution(s?) to this.

I have sent follow-up questions to both Curt and etrailer, and am looking forward to their responses.

Also, I am separating the ground on the controller and connecting it to the trailer frame.

Prior to beginning this, I had added two feet of wire to each lead on each LED light fixture. Each lead was labeled. The idea was wire this in the bathroom floor in order to eliminate folding myself in half and / or standing on my head. It helped, but... well, there were a few interesting moments!

I have attached photos of the two compartments. I have reconfirmed that what is in there matches my schematic. You will see the ground strips I have added.

Thank you for your involvement and interest in this.

Curb Side Wiring

Street Side Wiring
Old 10-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #16

want to see this thru. need to add some on my class c and our trailer we tow
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light