Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #1

Low power

My battery shows 2/3 charged I’m getting enough juice for house lights radio and television but not enough power for the outlets, refrigerator or the microwave. I turn on the generator and after about five minutes I have enough power for the microwave and fridge but still no power for the outlets any thoughts thank you for your help these discussions are very helpful for a new user owner like me
Mark
Forester 3011DS
Mark Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #2

What you have described as having "juice" are 12Vdc (battery) items. The others are 120Vac items and that's why they work with the generator running; it supplies 120Vac (only) to your unit. The only other way to get 120Vac to the unit is via shore power being connected. You may have a tripped GFCI receptacle (outlet) that may control all others.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #3

Is the refrigerator a residential refrigerator (120 volt only).

My guess would be that the refrigerator, microwave, and outlets are 120 vac devices only. The outlets and microwave are probably not wired to run off the batteries through an inverter. The refrigerator might be run through an inverter. The fact that it is it running off the batteries could be because you do not have the inverter turned on or the batteries are so low they are below the inverter low battery cut off so it is not producing power for the refrigerator.

When you start the generator you are getting 120 volt power as the refrigerator and microwave work. My guess would be that the outlets are not working because the gfci outlet has tripped. If this outlet trips it can cut power to all downstream outlets. Look for this outlet either in the bathroom or kitchen. Now here is the interesting part. You must have 120 power to reset a gfci outlet. So find the outlet, start the generator, and press the reset button on the gfci outlet.

I’ve made many assumptions. Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #4

Mark Ryan,
You can help us to help you by going to UserCP on the bar and selecting Edit Signature. Then put your rig's year, make and model as in my signature. You get more specific advice if we know what kind of rv you have.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
Site Team

You might want to take a look at the 12V side of life in the library electronics section ( Green Bar)

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

You don't give us any info on your rv or refrigerator. Until we know more all any of us can say is if you are boondocking you will never have power for your 120vac outlets, microwave or your residential refrigerator without a generator.

Reading the information on the following thread will help you understand more about your RV and how the electrical systems work.
New to RV's helpful hints by wmtire
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:25 PM   #7

Ah ok I’ll work on that thanks
Forester 3011DS
Old 03-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #8

Thanks everyone, problem solved. The gfci needed reset.
On to my next solution request
Forester 3011DS

Tags
power