Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #1

Red face MagneTek Converter Charger needs replaced?

I have a 32 ft. Forest River Cardinal LX. I recently tried to turn on the lights when plugged into shore power and they were yellow and flashing. I determined that my 12V battery was dead - it was purchased 6/13/2003 - so I replaced it. Everything worked fine, air, lights, fridge and fan for 1 day. I assume this was when the new battery became fully discharged. We attached a battery charger and got things going again after it was fully charged, but the same thing happened again a day later. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have come to the conclusion after lots of online reading that my power converter needs to be replaced. My RV currently has a 55 amp MagneTek converter series 7400 model 7455. What would you suggest I replace it with? The manual that came with the RV is totally useless and does not refer to my specific RV model. Any advise is much appreciated!
CampingNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #2

Since your converter is just a stand alone deck mount and not integrated into a power distribution panel I'd suggest a Progressive Dynamics model 9260 with Charge Wizard.

Buy the model that includes Charge Wizard pendant. If you need to hurry up a charge pushing the button on the pendant will force converter into Bulk Mode which can come in handy if charhing using generator or just finding battery(s) low and you want to charge in mimum time.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try
Old 07-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #4

check breakers, converter is usually on its own breaker. To check if converter is working take voltage at battery without 110 volts connected. Connect to shore power and check again. You should see 13+ volts at battery when plugged in.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #5

Have you checked fuses ON or inside the Magnatek? It may be a simple fuse replacement.
Otherwise...the Progressive or IOTA line (Also with IQ pendant) are good choices and you should buy the one that approximates your planned deep cycle battery amp hours divided by 4. (200 amp hour battery bank (20 hr. rating) = 50 amp or so charger)

This assumes you will be doing boondocking and not remaining plugged in...otherwise you can get away with a 1/10th amp hour charger (i.e. 20 amps in the above case),
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #6

Smile

I probably won 't be boon-docking. Never realized there were fuses inside the converter - checked all the ones on the fuse panel and they were good, so were hte breakers. I will crack open the converter and see what's there. Thanks, learning more each day!
Old 07-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingNewbie View Post
I probably won 't be boon-docking. Never realized there were fuses inside the converter - checked all the ones on the fuse panel and they were good, so were hte breakers. I will crack open the converter and see what's there. Thanks, learning more each day!

They're on the body of the converter.
https://rvcomponents.visonerv.com/cg...md/M3202/s4.pl

This is a VERY old 55 amp charger/converter that is single stage and WILL shorten the life of your batteries if left in full time in one spot. If it is a fuse problem...you can use it but suggest you pull the plug when your unit is no in use so as not to overchage your battery and ruin it over time.
You don't need this big a charger for park use...but you do want a smart 3 or 4 stage charger that you can leave plugged in... like this https://www.amazon.com/DLS-15-AUTOMA.../dp/B007AGB9GG
That's the smallest IOTA and is fine for a single house battery system, Get the 30 amp model if you're carrying 2 house batteries. Similar quality chargers available from Progressive as well. Your choice if you need to replace.

Just a side note for others...wet cell batteries will accept a maximum of 25% of their rated amp hours. Getting any bigger than that will not improve charging time but will make your wallet lighter. If you don't boondock...a model that is left plugged in will be fine with a 10% of rated amp hours charger.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter