Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

making 220 twist lock to RV plug adapter and ground question

As the title says, I have a BS Storm Responder generator. It has a 220 twist lock plug. I have some 8awg wire from a transfer switch install at my house. Can I buy the male 220 twist lock from HD and put the one leg of the 220 into a female RV plug? So only one leg of the generator would be used. I think this should be safe but do you think it will hurt the generator by using just the one leg?

This will not be used often as I have two EU2000 for the dry camping. It is more or less because I like redundancy and for emergencies. I converted the BS gene to natural gas so I want to be able to use it just in case.

Second part.... The Storm Responder reads "correct" and the EU2000's read "open ground" just as the article posted a bit ago said (Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone)

Do I need to care? I would make the N-G plug for the EU2000's but do I need to even care since I do not use a surge protector... Now before I get slammed, order a PI protector yesterday and it will be here next week... But I will probably not use it on generator or should I?
-Pat

Plug on Storm Responder:

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I am not an electrician (don't even play one on TV).

However, I don't see any reason this won't work. Just make SURE you select the correct pins on the 220 socket when you make the pigtail. You will only get one chance to get it right.

The cost of getting it wrong can be quite steep. Make SURE any "electrician friend" is bonded and insured before letting them do it. There are several threads here where "my neighbor the union electrician" cooked my camper and then shrugged and went home.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Ouch.... yeah i'll make sure I test it well before plugging anything in. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote