Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #1

Marker lights and camera install?

I am wonder can I remove the center marker light and install the camera in its place ( legally) ?
If not whatís the best way to attach the camera to the camera back there.. I donít think there is any kind of stud

Thanks Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0653D66E-3B27-423C-A415-53C9666E89B4.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	254555   Click image for larger version

Name:	90C7D5D7-A039-4E66-960E-B97938CF4F7C.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	254556  
Imovaherenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Legally? Not sure.
Transport trucks with flatbeds donít have upper clearance lights.
Tarped transport trucks donít have upper clearance lights.
Transport trucks carrying Sea Cans donít have upper clearance lights.
Youíd still have 4 upper lights if you remove the center one.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

That was my thought process.. but I figured it couldn’t hurt to get more opinions �� ty
Old 05-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imovaherenow View Post
That was my thought process.. but I figured it couldnít hurt to get more opinions �� ty
Since I had no camera prep, that's what I used. I don't think I ever have towed at night.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:08 PM   #5

Update

Dot requires 3 center marker lights if your trailer is over 80 inches wide .. so I’ll just tap the power off the light and mount underneath

“ Trailer Width 80 Inches or More

On trailers that are 80 inches or greater in width, two red clearance lights must be displayed. These two red lamps must be at the rear of the trailer and located at the highest and widest points of the trailer. Usually, the highest, widest points are the body or the fenders of the trailer's permanent structure. Also, two amber clearance lights are required. These amber lights must be at the front and located at the highest, widest points of the permanent structure
.**** Three red lamps for identification must be located on the rear of trailer near the top of the trailer's permanent structure. These must be situated as closely as practical to the trailer's vertical center line.******
Trailers 80 inches wide or more must also have the following reflectors: A red reflector must be located on each side at the rear; an amber reflector must be located on each side at the front.”
Old 05-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
That was my thought process.. but I figured it couldnít hurt to get more opinions �� ty

Once it is installed it will look as though it came from the factory that way.
"Brain Farts sometimes go unnoticed until further Inspection " If they only had a smell.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:04 PM   #7

No, not legally (in the US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Legally? Not sure.
Transport trucks with flatbeds don’t have upper clearance lights.
Tarped transport trucks don’t have upper clearance lights.
Transport trucks carrying Sea Cans don’t have upper clearance lights.
You’d still have 4 upper lights if you remove the center one.
I've posted a link to the Federal standard before. Five lights across the top are required: two at the corners and three near the middle.

I suppose if you removed one and got rear-ended, some sneaky insurance adjuster could say the other driver wasn't responsible because the vehicle wasn't properly marked/lighted.

{SIGH}Took me three or four minutes to find it again. It's Federal Highway Administration DOT CFR 1996, Title 49, Vol 4, ß3393.11 located here. See Table 1 on Page 2.
Line 7 specifies the two red marker lights at the top rear corners.
The first line on Page 3 specifies the three red lights at the rear top near the centerline. (Spacing between them must be between 6 and 12.")

The document is also attached to this post and I will put a copy in the Library. Moderator: I put it in Miscellaneous. If you think it should be in Vents, Fans, and Lighting or Running Gear, or Towing, feel free to move it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CFR-1996-title49-vol4-sec393-11.pdf (286.2 KB, 5 views)

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #8

Mounts are already available

Quote:
Dot requires 3 center marker lights if your trailer is over 80 inches wide .. so Iíll just tap the power off the light and mount underneath

ď Trailer Width 80 Inches or More

On trailers that are 80 inches or greater in width, two red clearance lights must be displayed. These two red lamps must be at the rear of the trailer and located at the highest and widest points of the trailer. Usually, the highest, widest points are the body or the fenders of the trailer's permanent structure. Also, two amber clearance lights are required. These amber lights must be at the front and located at the highest, widest points of the permanent structure
.**** Three red lamps for identification must be located on the rear of trailer near the top of the trailer's permanent structure. These must be situated as closely as practical to the trailer's vertical center line.******
Trailers 80 inches wide or more must also have the following reflectors: A red reflector must be located on each side at the rear; an amber reflector must be located on each side at the front.Ē
Not sure why you are making such a big deal about this. Camera mounts which fit under the marker light are readily available. The kit includes a plate the same size as the marker light base, a short cable, and an arm that matches your camera's mount. You unscrew the middle marker light, make the connections, screw the marker light/plate sandwich back on, and mount/connect the camera.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I've posted a link to the Federal standard before. Five lights across the top are required: two at the corners and three near the middle.

I suppose if you removed one and got rear-ended, some sneaky insurance adjuster could say the other driver wasn't responsible because the vehicle wasn't properly marked/lighted.

{SIGH}Took me three or four minutes to find it again. It's Federal Highway Administration DOT CFR 1996, Title 49, Vol 4, ß3393.11 located here. See Table 1 on Page 2.
Line 7 specifies the two red marker lights at the top rear corners.
The first line on Page 3 specifies the three red lights at the rear top near the centerline. (Spacing between them must be between 6 and 12.")

The document is also attached to this post and I will put a copy in the Library. Moderator: I put it in Miscellaneous. If you think it should be in Vents, Fans, and Lighting or Running Gear, or Towing, feel free to move it.
Appears this would be a handy reference for anyone operating a commercial vehicle.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:57 PM   #10

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Appears this would be a handy reference for anyone operating a commercial vehicle.
Well, yes, but since the factory has to build them in compliance, it really only matters to someone who would delete existing marker lights.

The issue arises here because people keep suggesting to remove a marker light to mount and power a camera. Many of them don't know about the piggyback kits.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Well, yes, but since the factory has to build them in compliance, it really only matters to someone who would delete existing marker lights.

The issue arises here because people keep suggesting to remove a marker light to mount and power a camera. Many of them don't know about the piggyback kits.
Larry, do you have a link to these piggyback mounts?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:39 AM   #12

Is your memory getting bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Larry, do you have a link to these piggyback mounts?
You asked the same question on July 25, 2019, here.

It was answered here 13 minutes later.

This one is from Tadi Brothers.

Here is a link to a real offering.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264016367149

Old 05-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #13

Mine is. I don't remember 2020, much less 2019.

Tags
camera, light