Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #21
Maintenance Engineer

Yes, I had my suspicions the concrete thing was likely urban legend since I’ve never been able to find any actual data supporting or disproving it.

As far as batteries go, not all batteries are created equal, not all batteries (or anything else for that matter) are created equal just because they are made at the same factory but come out with a different label on them.

If you’d like to expand your knowledge and understanding read on, if not just scroll over all this my feelings won’t be hurt, I have thick skin anyhow so my feelings don’t get hurt.

It was probably 20 years ago when I worked as a national technical trainer for Sears field and shop technicians. An aspect of that job put me on Sears engineering team for product development and improvement. As you may or may not know, Sears never actually manufactured anything, our product engineering team would test and identify products already on the market to adapt them to our requirements and be manufactured with our label on them. So someone might argue a Whirlpool washing machine (just as one example) was the same exact machine Sears sold as a Kenmore since all were made in a Whirlpool factory. If it was that simple then Whirlpool would handle Kenmore warranty claims, but they don’t. Most parts would be physically interchangeable, but they were not the same product going even beyond the cosmetic differences. In many cases the other product while manufactured in the same production facility, required being built on a dedicated production line, to completely different standards and often out of completely different materials and material quality grades, as well as different quality control production standards. You could look at it like the low end products were built by the left over floor sweepings from the high end production line and that assessment is almost accurate.

Another first hand example I can provide for your own internal knowledge applies directly to battery production. More recently I was part of the production equipment engineering team for Panasonic at the Nevada Tesla Giggafactory. Yes Panasonic makes the same batteries for the Tesla cars and the Tesla Solar Walls in the same facility, by the same exact people who work on both production lines. Yes, as the end consumer or even an electronics expert who reverse engineers components you could look at a Tesla car battery and a Tesla solar wall battery side by side and find no differences between the two. There are however extensive differences between the two, both requiring completely different production materials, different production processes and different productions standards despite being cosmetically identical to the outside observer. One tiny Tesla car battery cell requires 8 additional hours of production time to produce over the identical looking Tesla Solar Wall battery. The chemical composition to manufacture the two identical looking batteries is also completely different. The production operates who work on the line that makes the car batteries have to wear full PAPR hoods and full head to toe chemical protection suits. The operators working on the solar wall battery production line are only required to wear gloves due to the different chemical compositions making up the two seemingly identical looking batteries. The end consumer risk of fire or explosion due to manufacturing defects because of the difference in chemicals used also requires different quality control standards. The Tesla car battery cells, every single individual tiny cell requires a microscopic visual and weight inspection for quality control, even the tiniest microscopic scratch on the outside metal case requires ever battery made in that lot to fail and be rejected as well as the entire production line to be shut down until someone like myself went through every single inch of the production equipment to find and correct what ever was causing the microscopic scratch on the outer case. The Tesla Solar Wall batteries had strict quality control, but not even comparable to the level of absolute perfection the car batteries required.

In my own opinion, when it comes to car batteries, the absolute best car batteries on the market today have the Mercedes Benz branding on them. A company called Varta actually makes these Mercedes batteries, the same company also makes batteries with other brand names on the consumer seen package, my point being don’t be fooled into thinking just because the same manufacturer makes several brands that all the branded products are identical once you pull that label off and some brands are just more expensive only because of the name on the outer package.

By that same reasoning it would be impossible to say I did this or that with my battery and didn’t have a problem, yet someone else argues I did the same thing with my battery and ruined it. Are you both comparing the same exact actual batteries, probably not, therefore you are both exactly correct in your observations.
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage