Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,923
Mike Sokol, this buds for you

I was staying at my favorite state park this holiday weekend, and when testing the 30 amp outlet using the plug-n-play circuit tester I made from the directions from the myrv.us site...it indicated that the hot and neutral wires were reversed.

I pulled out the multitester then to verify, and yes it was correct, they were reversed. As the pics show , the normal hot line at the seven o'clock position is reading 0 volts, and the neutral line at the 5 o'clock position is reading 120 volts with both checked with ground.

The 20 amp is also reversed but may just be slaved off the 30 amp outlet.

The 50 amp was good, so I just used an adapter and all was good for the weekend. I told the parks maintenance guy (who is an excellent electrician) and he said they just had some contract electric work done. He was fully aware of the problem this can cause along with ground problems in a rv....and was going to fix it asap. He even told me a story of where one lady had aluminum siding put on her house and they had screwed into a wire (like we hear happening in the rv industry) along with something with her air-conditioner....and she couldn't get back into her house as the door frame was electrified.

He also was fully aware that those rv'ers with EMS , wouldn't be able to connect to a 30 amp outlet with miswired hot/neutral.

Anyhow, this is another good example of testing all outlets, and reading the good information that Mike Sokol has on the "no shock zone.org " site.

No Shock Zone

Here is a link to a great post from Mike that we made a sticky here in the electrical forums. All RV'ers should know this;

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-rv-89191.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150907_082242_opt.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	88029  
Attached Images
  
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,400
We test the Box before we even Pull/back In! Better Safe than Sorry! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,923
When the state park guy and I were talking about electrical things in general, he stated that one of the biggest things he get's called out on, is people overloading their 30 amp RV's and thus tripping the breakers.

He says he get's argued with a bunch, especially with newer RV'ers who don't understand the limited power they have. He was laughing, when he said there sure must be a lot of lying RV salesmen somewhere, cause of the sheer amount of people who argue with him that the salesman said they could use everything at the same time.

He said he wished he had some kind of handout to explain it all. I told him that when I came back up there, the first of October, I would have him something gleaned from these forums to fit the bill.

Like I said this is my favorite park, and they really go out of there way to always accommodate our camping/geocaching groups. Many of the employees, including this one, will come eat with us at the cookouts...as we always invite them.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 781
REVERSED POLARITY; imagine that.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
RV Electricity Expert
 
jmsokol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
He also was fully aware that those rv'ers with EMS , wouldn't be able to connect to a 30 amp outlet with miswired hot/neutral.

Anyhow, this is another good example of testing all outlets, and reading the good information that Mike Sokol has on the "no shock zone.org " site.
I'm Mike Sokol from The No~Shock~Zone. Thanks for posting links to my RV Electrical Safety articles above. FYI: I'm beginning a series of new videos about RV electrical hookups and safety. Here's one I just made about testing portable generators for a floating neutral and an easy way to correct it so a Progressive Industries EMS Surge Protector will operate properly. This has been vetted by the engineering staff at Progressive, and they now sell a pre-wired G-N bonding plug if you don't want to wire your own.



Mike Sokol
The No~Shock~Zone
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 781
Mike
Thanks for your expertise; greatly appreciated.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
Plain Old Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Full Timing in South Louisiana
Posts: 1,938
wmtire, which is your favorite state park? Curious since yall are in the north part.
__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
RV Electricity Expert
 
jmsokol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Mike
Thanks for your expertise; greatly appreciated.
You're all very welcome. I'm staring a new semester and teaching basic electronics this year. You should see some of the electrical experiments I do with my college level students. Too much fun....

I'm currently talking to Forest River management about having me do a training tour at FROG rallies. I would love to bring my No~Shock~Zone clinic to you guys.
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
He even told me a story of where one lady had aluminum siding put on her house and they had screwed into a wire (like we hear happening in the rv industry) along with something with her air-conditioner....and she couldn't get back into her house as the door frame was electrified.
Reverse polarity is one of many layers of protector for humans. It does nothing harmful to appliances. If reverse polarity caused that lady to be shocked, then many other protection layers (to make that not happen) were also compromised. She needed more fixed than just reversed polarity.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
wmtire, which is your favorite state park? Curious since yall are in the north part.
Lake D'arbonne State Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
Reverse polarity is one of many layers of protector for humans. It does nothing harmful to appliances. If reverse polarity caused that lady to be shocked, then many other protection layers (to make that not happen) were also compromised. She needed more fixed than just reversed polarity.
I wouldn't say you have to have MANY other layers, just one in the grounding can do it. As stated, she had a problem in the grounding with her window air-conditioner.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
When the state park guy and I were talking about electrical things in general, he stated that one of the biggest things he get's called out on, is people overloading their 30 amp RV's and thus tripping the breakers.

He says he get's argued with a bunch, especially with newer RV'ers who don't understand the limited power they have. He was laughing, when he said there sure must be a lot of lying RV salesmen somewhere, cause of the sheer amount of people who argue with him that the salesman said they could use everything at the same time.

He said he wished he had some kind of handout to explain it all. I told him that when I came back up there, the first of October, I would have him something gleaned from these forums to fit the bill.

Like I said this is my favorite park, and they really go out of there way to always accommodate our camping/geocaching groups. Many of the employees, including this one, will come eat with us at the cookouts...as we always invite them.
This would be very handy for him.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #12
MCTroy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Troy.Ohio
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
This would be very handy for him.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Thank you Turbs! We have struggled with limited electrical service this summer. Your AMP guide is very useful. We have gone to one appliance at a time with the ac on. That seems to be working. Thankfully, we can use the coffee pot with the ac on!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:27 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Thank you Turbs! We have struggled with limited electrical service this summer. Your AMP guide is very useful. We have gone to one appliance at a time with the ac on. That seems to be working. Thankfully, we can use the coffee pot with the ac on!
Your welcome!
It's not exact but a great guideline.
Have fun!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
RV Electricity Expert
 
jmsokol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
He said he wished he had some kind of handout to explain it all. I told him that when I came back up there, the first of October, I would have him something gleaned from these forums to fit the bill.
This is a great idea... which is why for the last several years I've offered to create an official No~Shock~Zone handout to numerous RV manufacturers, RV parks, and state campgrounds, but with no traction as of yet. I've been pitching the idea of a one-page, waterproof handout that would cover pedestal outlet measurement, calculating power needed for your RV, hot skin testing, etc...

Of course, I can do this legally since I create my own graphics and own the copyrights. But please remember that compiling a handout for duplication using graphics from my No~Shock~Zone site would be a copyright violation. Of course, you all can copy and compile anything from my articles for your own use. But these parks really should be contacting me directly about creating this sort of handout for the public. Can you please put me in contact with them? Maybe this time they'll be interested.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
This is a great idea... which is why for the last several years I've offered to create an official No~Shock~Zone handout to numerous RV manufacturers, RV parks, and state campgrounds, but with no traction as of yet. I've been pitching the idea of a one-page, waterproof handout that would cover pedestal outlet measurement, calculating power needed for your RV, hot skin testing, etc...

Of course, I can do this legally since I create my own graphics and own the copyrights. But please remember that compiling a handout for duplication using graphics from my No~Shock~Zone site would be a copyright violation. Of course, you all can copy and compile anything from my articles for your own use. But these parks really should be contacting me directly about creating this sort of handout for the public. Can you please put me in contact with them? Maybe this time they'll be interested.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
No worries, Mike. What I was referring to was more like the amp draw chart that Turbs posted and overloading 30 amp power supplies.

However, your idea is even better and would be more beneficial.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
wanderer69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
I'm Mike Sokol from The No~Shock~Zone. Thanks for posting links to my RV Electrical Safety articles above. FYI: I'm beginning a series of new videos about RV electrical hookups and safety. Here's one I just made about testing portable generators for a floating neutral and an easy way to correct it so a Progressive Industries EMS Surge Protector will operate properly. This has been vetted by the engineering staff at Progressive, and they now sell a pre-wired G-N bonding plug if you don't want to wire your own.



Mike Sokol
The No~Shock~Zone
Mike, If you could clarify for me. If I am running two Yamaha's in parallel, will it require a separate bonding plug for each generator? I'm doing my research before purchasing and installing a Progressive Industries EMS and have only just now become aware of this issue.
__________________
Tom
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 CC DRW Diesel
2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.