Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 AM   #1

MPPT Solar Charger Help

Received my new 30 Amp MPPT solar charger bought on Ebay and guess what its a fake from Hong Kong, did a search on Youtube to find best way to set this up and this is when I found it was a fake MPPT controller its only a PWM and only just that.
Looking to buy around 20/30 amp MPPT controller but not too big, again been looking on Ebay but there is so many and don't what to get stung again.
Can anyone point me to any links to buy one and ship worlwide as here in New Zealand they are very expensive,

Cheers

Derek/Hazel
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #2

It really depends on your budget. I got a Renogy 40AMP MPPT charger for $210 on Amazon last year that seems to be working fine. Size really depends on if you ever plan on adding additional solar panels to your system. Originally I was going to get the 30AMP but found if I decided to upgrade to 2 panels (250W panels from Renogy) the 30AMP would not work.

What panels are using with your system?

MorningStar MPPT have great reviews, but also cost more.
BLUE SOLAR MPPT 75/50 are interesting as you can remotely monitor them if you have internet access and their Color Control GX monitor. I'm sure its costly

The options are endless

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Team

I suggest you check this site out before you make your decision.
Solar Electric Power Systems For On & Off Grid | Panels and More | NAWS

They have excellent tutorials which will assist in getting what you want. They also have good prices on quality equipment and great service. I have purchased all my solar needs from them. No! I have no connection to them except a satisfied customer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

I purchased a TRACER MPPT controller from amazon but you can get them cheaper from china if you can wait. They sell many different sizes so you just need to find one that will work with the largest system you think you will have.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I suggest you check this site out before you make your decision.
Solar Electric Power Systems For On & Off Grid | Panels and More | NAWS

They have excellent tutorials which will assist in getting what you want. They also have good prices on quality equipment and great service. I have purchased all my solar needs from them. No! I have no connection to them except a satisfied customer.
Thanks Flybob for the link, just had a quick look and very informative so will be checking later this evening(will keep me out of the Pub or Bar)

Cheers

Derek?hazel
Old 01-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I purchased a TRACER MPPT controller from amazon but you can get them cheaper from china if you can wait. They sell many different sizes so you just need to find one that will work with the largest system you think you will have.
I also use the Tracer controller, it has done me well for the past 5 years.

Here is one from Ebay with free shipping.
20A MPPT EP Solar Tracer Charge Controller 12 24V 2215RN 150V PV TR 5 TR | eBay

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
I also use the Tracer controller, it has done me well for the past 5 years.

Here is one from Ebay with free shipping.
20A MPPT EP Solar Tracer Charge Controller 12 24V 2215RN 150V PV TR 5 TR | eBay
Thanks for the link, this is the seller Topstore222 on Ebay who sold me the fake MPPT Controller so a bit reluctant to purchase of this guy again, do you think it is the same model above that's available on Ebay that's on Amazon, going to search Amazon now.

Cheers

Derek
Old 01-29-2015, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by savi18 View Post
Received my new 30 Amp MPPT solar charger bought on Ebay and guess what its a fake from Hong Kong, did a search on Youtube to find best way to set this up and this is when I found it was a fake MPPT controller its only a PWM and only just that.
Looking to buy around 20/30 amp MPPT controller but not too big, again been looking on Ebay but there is so many and don't what to get stung again.
Can anyone point me to any links to buy one and ship worlwide as here in New Zealand they are very expensive,

Cheers

Derek/Hazel
What is the name of the fake controller so others can be aware of it. The Tracer is what I use also.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
What is the name of the fake controller so others can be aware of it. The Tracer is what I use also.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LCD-30A-MPPT-...item20f58ccbd5

Cheers

Derek
Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
If you log on to Ebay the item number is 141558598613 I will try and put a link on but not sure how to do it yet.

Cheers

Derek
Try This

LCD 30A MPPT Solar Panel Regulator Charge Controller 12V 24V 380W 760W With USB | eBay
Old 01-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the link, this is the seller Topstore222 on Ebay who sold me the fake MPPT Controller so a bit reluctant to purchase of this guy again, do you think it is the same model above that's available on Ebay that's on Amazon, going to search Amazon now.

Cheers

Derek
I wonder if that Ebay seller actually knows it is a PWM controller with a MPPT logo on the case.

I had a look at the Tracer controllers on Amazon and they are true MPPT controllers. Decent price too.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #12
Site Team

The dealer knows this is a PWM controller and has craftfully hidden that fact. He does however protect himself with the intentionally confusing statement " MPPT+PWM charging modeController Provided MPPT Maximum power point tracking Function,charging mode is PWM). This is common on Ebay listings, It is amazing how he spins a circuit board that is clearly inferior to the real one as having advantages. State of the art surface mount technology vs discrete components. It also appears that the name of the unit is MPPTD30 controller, not much different from the Chinese clothing manufacturer whose company name is "Made in America"

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
It really depends on your budget. I got a Renogy 40AMP MPPT charger for $210 on Amazon last year that seems to be working fine. Size really depends on if you ever plan on adding additional solar panels to your system. Originally I was going to get the 30AMP but found if I decided to upgrade to 2 panels (250W panels from Renogy) the 30AMP would not work.

What panels are using with your system?

MorningStar MPPT have great reviews, but also cost more.
BLUE SOLAR MPPT 75/50 are interesting as you can remotely monitor them if you have internet access and their Color Control GX monitor. I'm sure its costly

The options are endless
This is the one i may go for
SOLAR CONTROLLER NEW TRACER MPPT 30A BN SERIES | Trade Me as its here in NZ and looks to be cheaper buying it here then the States as the NZD is less then the USD, if you got time go in the search part of the site and enter MPPT controller and see what you think, i am still learning a lot about Solar Controllers.
I have decided to go for 30amp controller as will have fitted one more 200 watt panel soon,

Cheers

Derek/Hazel
Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #14

I installed a 3 x 100 watt panel system with the Tracer MPPT 20 amp controller and a Samlex 1,500 watt inverter on two 125 APH bats. After trying to use my 1100 watt microwave, the inverter would not carry it. Works all else in the unit. Iv'e ordered a Samlex 3000 watt inverter that should run anything on board. I'm now stuck with a 1,500 watt brand new inverer. Anyone need this unit, let me know. Also have a new Duralast 600 watt inverter.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #15

I have this same Tracer 20 Amp unit. Works great!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I installed a 3 x 100 watt panel system with the Tracer MPPT 20 amp controller and a Samlex 1,500 watt inverter on two 125 APH bats. After trying to use my 1100 watt microwave, the inverter would not carry it. Works all else in the unit. Iv'e ordered a Samlex 3000 watt inverter that should run anything on board. I'm now stuck with a 1,500 watt brand new inverer. Anyone need this unit, let me know. Also have a new Duralast 600 watt inverter.
You might consider hanging on to it. The overhead on your 1500 watt Sammy will be much lower than your 3000 watt'r. Use your 1500 for your day to day, and hook your 3000 watt'r for dedicated microwave use.

Worst case, you don't take a bath on the 1500 watt'r.. you save ah's daily, and you always have a backup on hand.

If you're still looking to get rid of it, you might want to include the model number so folks know what you have up for offer.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar