Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #1

Mystery Fuse Problem

I am having a heck of a time diagnosing a blowing fuse problem on my Rockwood Roo 23IKSS.

The low voltage circuit which runs my gas water heater, water pump and Schwintek slide is blowing whenever either the water pump or the gas water heater runs. No problems with the slide. I have replaced the fuse with a circuit breaker just to keep from constantly having to replace fuses.

I have run power direct to the pump and it runs fine. There is a 10 amp inline fuse at the pump and it doesn't come close to using that much current. I have not tried the same with the gas water heater circuit. That device should only draw a few milliamps as I believe it is for activating the gas burning and ignition only.

I have tried moving the pump to another circuit but it blows that circuit. I have put a fuse buddy ammeter on the circuit and am seeing close to 30 amps come through before the breaker trips. That's a lot of current. A slow blow fuse will see that much current but will not trip if the spike is short enough.

I realize this sounds like a short, however I have not found a short on the lines It is also odd that both the gas heater switch and the pump circuits would start acting up at the same time, and that the Schwintek slide never causes the fuse to go makes this even more odd. The wiring from the switch panel to the inverter and devices run under the floor. I have inspected any visible wiring.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
ibnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:27 PM   #2

I'm not much of an electrician but I'd disconnect the wiring to all appliances and then individually run a wire with an inline fuse directly from a 12v source to the appliance. If they run fine, you know for sure there is a short in the RV line somewhere. A puncture from a nail or staple would be my first thought.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse