Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Need 6V battery Dimensions

Hi,

I have a Forester 2251 SLE with dead or dying house batteries. The coach is up in the mountains and I'm home. I want to replace the 2 12V with 2 6V batteries. I measured the compartment size before I left and my notes say the compartment is 10.5 inches deep. The shortest 6V battery I can find is Duracell Group GC2 which specifies the height as 10.875 inches. Anybody have more exact dimensions for the compartment? If not I will have to go with the 12V in parallel.
Thanks,
Bob Schoner
rschoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

Update

Hi,
I went to the dealer and measured the compartment of a similar model. It measures 11 inches from the bottom to the top of the rubber gasket the step rests on when closed. I measured the 6 volt battery in the store and it is very close to the 11 inch height. So, I am abandoning the 6 volt changeover for now and replacing with 2 12 volt batteries. Maybe when I am home I can see if the compartment can be made a little deeper. I am not comfortable with 0.1 inch clearance since the rubber can compress and the step might deform under load.

Bob Schoner
rschoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

what type batts did you use? I was hoping the 6v to be ok. maybe I could shim 1/8". want max batt when no gen time.
larry.mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Two 6 volt batteries from Battery Plus Duracell but made by Deka for $100 each will give you a total of 230 amp hours. That's hard to beat Syria
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Two 6 volt batteries from Battery Plus Duracell but made by Deka for $100 each will give you a total of 230 amp hours. That's hard to beat Syria
Costco and Sams Club sell the Interstate 6V golf cart batteries. Mine were $150 for the pair (232AH) from Costco, including tax after core turn-in. Considerably cheaper and more power than dual 12V. I believe my Interstates are 10.75 inches tall, just under 11 inches long, and 7.25 inches wide. They fit snugly into a dual size 24 box, but they fit better than the 24s did. The 12V size 24 batteries actually overlapped the end ridges slightly.

I went to Costco and measured the batteries after accurately measuring the box before I bought any batteries.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #6

6v replacement

I have 2016 Chevy 2251 slec Forester with these batteries fit? Wish there was an area for more batteries. I can't find good info on batteries size vs how much I can draw & recharge. I see all kinds of numbers 80% or 50% draw down then how much time and amps to recharge? I like to boondock.

Thanks
larry.mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery