Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #1

Need advice on a good 1000W inverter

Trying to complete my new solar project and one of the last items I need to purchase is a 1000W Pure Sine inverter but the choices are overwhelming to say the least!

I found a Renogy unit that looked nice and the price was reasonable but when I read the reviews, it seems they are prone to reliability/quality issues and their customer service is questionable at best.

Have also been looking at AIMS Power and GoWISE.

Does anyone have opinions on any of these or maybe another brand I should be looking at? Lots of options and I don't want to make a decision I'll regret later.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #2

Can't help with brand. I do have 3000W Renogy inverter charger so I may be a little biased.

Are you sure 1000w is all you need? Have you done an energy audit?

1000W is only 8.3A at 120V. And lose a few percent of that to the inverter itself

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

My OEM inverter is a 1000w WFCO. I hardly ever use it, so I can't comment on how good/bad it is unfortunately. All my camping/trailer stuff is off-grid capable, runs on 12v. Things that require heat are all range top capable.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #4

I'm using a 2kw Renogy Inverter and absolutely no issues. Enough to run my Microwave and any other items like blender/juicer, etc.

The key to a well performing and long lasting Inverter is first to make sure it's large enough and then make sure it's properly installed. Plenty of battery power to prevent voltage sag and large enough wires to get the power to the inverter.

Most of the complaints I've read are from individuals who don't understand the above and failed to install properly.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

What the hell are you using blender for out camping? I know you're not making margaritas!
Old 07-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #6

I stand behind my Samlex EVO-3012 Pure Sine Inverter/Charger.

It is made in Taiwan. It replaced a Samlex EVO-2212 Pure Sine Inverter/Charger that failed while under warranty. Service was going to replace it with another EVO-2212, but I was able to pay extra for an upgrade to a 3kw EVO-3012. They even shipped the EVO-3012 before I returned the EVO-2212. I believe the EVO-2212 failed because I did not give it proper ventilation. I added a fan for my EVO-3012.

The smaller EVO-1212F-HW is in the same family. It has an input terminals for a Solar charge control & can charge Lithium LiFePO4 batteries.

Amazon: Samlex EVO-1212F-HW Evolution F-Series Hardwired 120V Pure Sine Inverter/Charger - 1200 Watt

Samlex-EVO-1212F-1224F-Features-and-Spec-Sheet-0320.pdf

I have my Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger hardwired and is never turned off, except for winter storage. I set the time on the Microwave and it stay on even as I switch between shore power & battery. It is like having a UPS for the motorhome.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post

Are you sure 1000w is all you need? Have you done an energy audit?

1000W is only 8.3A at 120V. And lose a few percent of that to the inverter itself
Thanks,
yeah, we're starting small as we've never boondocked before and don't have much data to go from. I bought a SOK 100ah LiFeP04 battery and 2 100W solar panels that will be mobile, and a 30A Epever MPPT controller.

We'll start out boondocking in the spring and fall for mild weather. We don't watch TV, will only run lights (LED) when we need to (we also have several battery powered lanterns and flashlights to use) and either the Maxxair vent fan or a small table top fan. Will charge a couple phones and my camera as well but if I have to, I can charge these in the truck just to help conserve.

Fridge and water heater will run on propane, coffee maker works on the stove. Don't use a blender so I think if we just watch our usage, we should be ok. I intend to expand the system when I get a new camper so this is really just a science experiment right now!

The battery and charge controller will go in a new battery/tool box I got from Harbor Freight. I want to put the inverter in there as well but I'm afraid it will be too hot for it. It's a black metal box and likely will be in the sun for periods of time.

I plan to run a short extension cord from the inverter (this will be in the front storage) to the outside (not sure how, yet) and will just plug the camper's exterior electrical cord directly into the inverter. Of course, I'll put tape across the air conditioner controller and the microwave switch so they don't accidently get turned on! But this way, I can use the main lights, fans and outlets without rewiring everything.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Lights are on DC circuit. My OEM inverter is wired into one outlet I believe, and the rest are daisychained as they are on GFCI circuit. I don't think it would be terribly hard to wire the inverter to your outlets. My microwave and A.C are not on the same circuit as rest of outlets, yours are probably as well, so you wouldn't have to worry about popping anything. FYI, my inverter is mounted to inside front wall of trailer, behind a trim panel. Free from moisture and excessive heat.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Lights are on DC circuit. My OEM inverter is wired into one outlet I believe, and the rest are daisychained as they are on GFCI circuit. I don't think it would be terribly hard to wire the inverter to your outlets. My microwave and A.C are not on the same circuit as rest of outlets, yours are probably as well, so you wouldn't have to worry about popping anything. FYI, my inverter is mounted to inside front wall of trailer, behind a trim panel. Free from moisture and excessive heat.
So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you're saying I could wire it to any outlet and they will all work, right? That makes total sense and saves me from having to figure out how to run my extension cord from inside the camper to outside. You're a genius!! Seriously, thank you for that. I don't know why I didn't see it before but this will simplify things greatly. And there is an outlet very close by to where I'm going to mount the inverter! You just made my day! I've been thinking about how to route that extension cord for quite a while, now.

So, having never used an inverter before, is there a way to wire it directly or am I just going to have to cut the end off of an extension cord and plug one end into the inverter receptacle while wiring the other end to my camper outlet?
Old 07-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Genius! I'm flattered. lol. I cannot direct on wiring, as it was done at factory. But as I mentioned, my outlets are apparently daisy-chained to a GFCI outlet, so feeding one outlet should feed them all.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you're saying I could wire it to any outlet and they will all work, right? That makes total sense and saves me from having to figure out how to run my extension cord from inside the camper to outside. You're a genius!! Seriously, thank you for that. I don't know why I didn't see it before but this will simplify things greatly. And there is an outlet very close by to where I'm going to mount the inverter! You just made my day! I've been thinking about how to route that extension cord for quite a while, now.

So, having never used an inverter before, is there a way to wire it directly or am I just going to have to cut the end off of an extension cord and plug one end into the inverter receptacle while wiring the other end to my camper outlet?
NO that will not Safely work. You at a minimum you will destroy the inverter when you hook up to shore power as well as you will be back feeding the entire electrical system including the shore cord which will have power on the exposed plug when the inverter is turned on.

Options you have:
1. If you run a cord to connect to the shore cord you have to make sure you turn off the high current appliances (A/C, microwave, water heater, etc) as well as the converter and AC power to the refrigerator.

2. You can use a external transfer switch to feed one circuit.

3. You use an inverter with an internal transfer switch to feed 1 circuit.

4. You can use a inverter with an internal transfer switch wired to a sub panel to feed multiple circuits (overkill for a 1 kw inverter).

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #12

Everything Steve said above!

You will overload that inverter if you put multiple outlets on it and without a transfer switch you won't ever have shore power on them.

Your be better off removing one outlet from the AC circuit and wiring it to the inverter. This way you have one outlet on the inverter and only works on the inverter without infecting the other outlets on the circuit.

8 amps isn't that much. A large hairdryer will eat that and often exceed it

Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
Old 07-04-2021, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
What the hell are you using blender for out camping? I know you're not making margaritas!
"Smoothies" loaded with healthy stuff. Dr's orders. Standard orders like "lose weight, cut down on fats, more greens and fruit".

Down 20 lbs and blood sugar down about 20%. Actually developing a liking for them.

Kind of a new way to "drink your lunch" unlike some of the people I used to work with.

As for connecting my Inverter to the TT's AC power system, I just used an old fashioned method often used in the past for connecting generators. I installed a power outlet from my Inverter that I could plug my TT's power cord into.

Couldn't find a practical waterproof 30 amp receptacle so I merely ordered a 15 amp waterproof one from Amazon and mounted it underneath the TT (out of the rain) and use a 30/15 amp adapter. Since this picture was taken I've added a 15 amp to 30 amp dog bone adapter because I hate the small ones that all to often burn up. 15 amps is more than enough as my Inverter is only 2Kw and rarely maxed out. With Microwave running the AC current is only 12 amp.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
Everything Steve said above!

You will overload that inverter if you put multiple outlets on it and without a transfer switch you won't ever have shore power on them.

Your be better off removing one outlet from the AC circuit and wiring it to the inverter. This way you have one outlet on the inverter and only works on the inverter without infecting the other outlets on the circuit.

8 amps isn't that much. A large hairdryer will eat that and often exceed it
Well, we won't be using a hair dryer so that won't be a problem. Like I said before, probably going to mainly be small fans or an a/c battery charger, etc...
Nothing big. I really want to have the option of using any of the available outlets, though (including the one outside if need be) so I guess I'm back to figuring out how to run a cord from inside to outside and use @TitanMike's method.

Of course, since the inverter will be inside within easy reach, I suppose I could just run an extension cord to it for now and see how we get along. That way we can get a better idea of what our needs really are before I go through all of this work.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #15

The biggest thing if you hardwire anything is backfeeding and needed a transfer switch if you keep outlets using either shore or inverter

Old 07-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
Well, we won't be using a hair dryer so that won't be a problem. Like I said before, probably going to mainly be small fans or an a/c battery charger, etc...
Nothing big. I really want to have the option of using any of the available outlets, though (including the one outside if need be) so I guess I'm back to figuring out how to run a cord from inside to outside and use @TitanMike's method.

Of course, since the inverter will be inside within easy reach, I suppose I could just run an extension cord to it for now and see how we get along. That way we can get a better idea of what our needs really are before I go through all of this work.
That is a good plan to figure out what your usage will be. If/when you do run a line to your shore cord just remember to turn off the circuit breaker for your converter. If you leave it on the batteries will be trying to charge themselves via the inverter. That will be a losing battle due to the inherent losses in all inverters.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #17

A good 1000w inverter

I can only speak to one part ... at least get 2000 as the startup surge in many appliances run up to 1800 before settling in under 1000.
retrieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Daebado said he doesn't need all that power while boondocking. I am same. He just wants his outlets to work. All my outlets work on inverter, which I never use, but it is nice to know I can plug in my MacBook charger, or whatever, that is under 1000W. He is like me, makes coffee on the stove, no big appliances. You don't need a microwave when boondocking, that is a shore power luxury.

I'm not sure if I have a transfer switch, or is it done internally in the inverter. All I know is my outlets are hot when inverter is powered up, so you can plug in a little fan, or whatever small appliance you might need (I intend to use outside outlet to power a water pump to transfer from a water bladder in pickup to camper tank).

I think spending thousands on huge inverters, oversize battery banks, and solar farms to boondock while powering microwaves, Ninja 2000 watt appliances and Margarita machines in insane. Maybe if you gotta run your own dialysis machine or other life sustaining equipment, but then you probably aren't boondocking, are ya!
Old 07-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #19

I too am looking for a inverter (PSW) in this range. We don’t really boondock, but I want to replace my microwave with a “Panasonic Inverter Microwave” that when it’s put on 50% power cuts the wattage used in half instead of just cycling off and on at full power. The idea is to get by in a Walmart parking lot or a non electric campsite for one night. I have already did the battery set up to make this happen, next is the inverter. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I too am looking for a inverter (PSW) in this range. We don’t really boondock, but I want to replace my microwave with a “Panasonic Inverter Microwave” that when it’s put on 50% power cuts the wattage used in half instead of just cycling off and on at full power. The idea is to get by in a Walmart parking lot or a non electric campsite for one night. I have already did the battery set up to make this happen, next is the inverter. Jay
That's my operating parameters right now too. I've never used the inverter. When I boon dock at a shopping center, hot food is available, or if I'm really hard up, I guess I can heat something on stove the old fashioned way. I use a battery operated Rigid fan for cooling, and might bring a generator along next time if it looks like it will be too hot to not have AC while sleeping, if I get the soft start.

Tags
inverter