Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #21

I am another member of the Progressive Industries fan club. Their EMS-LCHW50 unit has protected our RV from low voltage on numerous occasions, a reverse polarity hookup, and another one that had an open ground.

It is even more important if your RV uses a 50 amp hookup. If the neutral wire is disconnected at the campsite, instead of 2 x 120 volts, you now have a single 240 volt circuit. That was probably what caused the pop sound at the state park mentioned earlier.

I would not hookup at a campsite without a Progressive EMS.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #22
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
When the RV show came to Quartzsite this year, in this park I'm at the end of electrical run.....when park filled up, I was watch'n the power disappear....at 110 volts the EMS did it's job....good thing I'd brought gennies down here...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #23
7 Year Class A RV'er

Definitely recommend the Progressive Industries unit. You actually need more than just a surge protector, you want something that checks the power source for low and high voltage, reversed polarity, etc. Cost is about $300, but pays for itself the first time you connect somewhere that the power is screwed up. Second trip out with ours I encountered an outlet that was wired backwards (hot on the ground).

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #24

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Cyn Cyn.....I've been in the AC/heating/appliance business for 40 years so I can speak from experience. Get a surge protector! I won't list all the reasons, but there is great wisdom in having it.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #25

Absolutely Progressive Industries. Saves my circuit boards at a CoE camp ground. Just bought a 50 amp for my 5er. Will sell my 30 amp hard wire for $175 frt included. In box complete like new.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #26

If you are considering generators you need to know the Yamaha 2000s are not compatible with the PI EMS but the Honda's are. If you have the Yamaha 2000 generator you simply do not use the EMS while on gen power, and for the built-in EMS you would just need to add a by-pass switch. I would've gone with the Honda's had I initially known this.
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #27

Good to know this is what I found at progressive, I have 2 of the yamaha's but I don't run my portable progressive when I use them.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #28

Smile Surge Protector

I have used a Progressive since shortly after I bought my rig. I was it hooked up to power at my home and was hit by a surge that took out one TV and severely jolted everything else. I have had no problems since I installed the protector. The protector did fail once (my fault) and Progressive sent me a replacement circuit board, no questions asked other than the failure symptom.

One caveat, when running on a generator you have to switch the protector to bypass mode. You still have surge protection but the open ground/neutral detector it turned off because generators are not grounded.

Buy a protector and enjoy your rig.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #29
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
With Hondas, all you need to do is make a grounding plug.......$2.00
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #30

Wow , I have been RVing 30 some years and never had the need for one . Do you have one on your house ? Is your RV cluttered up with sensitive equipment ?
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #31
GB

Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge $115 on Amazon.
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #32

The one I have for sale is the EMS HW30C. Has remote display.

2011 Ford F350 fx4 6.7 SRW
2016 Sandpiper 360PDEK
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #33

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Wanderingbob,,,,as soon as lightning strikes near your rig.....you'll say....."Ohhhhhh...that's why."
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Need Advice on Surge Protector, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
Wow , I have been RVing 30 some years and never had the need for one . Do you have one on your house ? Is your RV cluttered up with sensitive equipment ?

You ABSOLUTELY cannot compare a house to a Rv let alone 50 or 60 plus rv's on the same circuit.

With all due respect Your statement is really thoughtless and silly.

Sensitive equipment?
Two televisions
Dish receiver
Microwave
DVD player
Electric fireplace
Two a/c units
Furnace
Refrigerator
Water heater
Radio
Power converter

Yeah I'd say I'm loaded up with sensitive electronics.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #35

15 years with two pups..figured the panels would be easy to repair IF there was a problem..never had one. 5 years with an sob hybrid. Never used any circuit protectors. Got the Roo and decided to buy the PI hw30c. At cg I 've gone to off and on for over 16 years...once cg filled...couldn't keep the power on..the cg's power kept dropping below 105v. I called the manager and showed what was happening on my display. Ended up replacing the breaker and 30A connector. Neighbor lost his micro that week. No protection.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post

With all due respect Your statement is really thoughtless and silly.
'Thoughtless and silly' because he disagrees with you? Everybody can have their own opinion. My opinion tends to agree with you but there's no call to knee-cap the dissenters. Like a lot of other decisions, this one is nothing more than an insurance policy for your RV. It's each person's decision whether that is worth the money or not. Case in point, he's camped for 30 years and NEVER NEEDED ONE. For him, it would have been a waste of money. For others who want the peace of mind when hooking up to an unknown circuit or riding out a lightning storm, it is worth it.

Here's mine: I bought the surge suppressor (from PI, of course) this year but not the full EMS. I'm more concerned about a lightning strike than a bad connection. Just my $2 opinion. Feel free to disagree.
jboot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #37

I have to correct myself I have a surge guard and not a progressive, but it does high and low voltage and seems to work. Short story at Burning Man in 2005 hooked into their power no circuit protection when the one of the main generators spiked for some reason. Both TVs, converter and Co monitor got fried. My computer was saved by a multi plug extension with surge protection. Luckily because I worked for them they replaced the equipment and bought me the surge protector I know use. Sometimes you get lucky and sometime you don't, to each his own.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #38

I think most will say a surge protector is a good investment. I agree and had one put in my last trailer. The new one I ordered the progressive hard wire one to put in. I feel that cg electrical grids are not as nearly predictable and reliable as our homes. So for me it was an easy decision.
FRRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Need Advice on Surge Protector, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboot1 View Post
'Thoughtless and silly' because he disagrees with you? Everybody can have their own opinion. My opinion tends to agree with you but there's no call to knee-cap the dissenters. Like a lot of other decisions, this one is nothing more than an insurance policy for your RV. It's each person's decision whether that is worth the money or not. Case in point, he's camped for 30 years and NEVER NEEDED ONE. For him, it would have been a waste of money. For others who want the peace of mind when hooking up to an unknown circuit or riding out a lightning storm, it is worth it.

Here's mine: I bought the surge suppressor (from PI, of course) this year but not the full EMS. I'm more concerned about a lightning strike than a bad connection. Just my $2 opinion. Feel free to disagree.

My response was to his statement to which he tried to compare electrical requirements of a stationary house with dedicated power and a mobile Rv plugged into sketchy power?
How would one ever know you've got a problem if you don't have means to check?
He said he didn't need one in 30 years .......... How would he know he didn't?

I wasn't trying to be rude.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #40

Turbs---I saw that you edited your post. When I first read it I saw "was" instead of "wasn't"- lol