Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #41
PhD, Common Sense

If you don’t do it right, it won’t work, no matter which method you use.

This thought should be posted in the winterizing threads too.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #42

If you can plug in a trickle charger, you can plug in the whole coach/trailer. Depending on which converter/inverter charger is installed, it is possible that it will maintain the batteries by itself without the need for an additional purchase. I have a Progressive Dynamics converter charger in my coach, as do many other folks, and it will sit on float for months without harming the batteries.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #43

Disconnecting completely is the key to safe storage over the winter. I learned the hard way that even my John Deere lawn tractor had a parasitic draw on the starting battery. Sure enough, stored in the unheated shed in the Colorado winter, it froze after it became discharged.

Having learned my lesson, on the replacement battery I would run the tractor for about 30 minutes, then shut off and disconnected the positive battery cable. Left the battery on the tractor through the winter for the next 6 years with no issues. Reconnected the battery and started the tractor up.

Ever since the lawn tractor experience, I install a complete battery disconnect on my A-frames. Still don't own a battery minder of any kind - and all my vehicle and RV batteries always do 5+ years.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame with Costco/Interstate GC-2 batteries (2018) and PD 4135 converter
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:36 AM   #44

Jackpot!
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect