Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #1

Need help installing VictronSmartShunt

I took the advice of members here and installed a battery watering system to maintain my two 6-volt batteries in our Cardinal 3825fl. Then I researched a battery minder and purchased the Victron SmartShunt 500A/50mV.

Now that I have it, I am baffled at exactly how to install it. It came with only a quick installation guide and a suggestion to view additional instructions online. When I went to the Victron web site and clicked on support, I read the following;

Victron does not provide direct support to end-users and installers. The channel to support with your Victron products is with the place of purchase.

Has anyone here install this shunt in their battery compartment? I can't be certain it works with two six volt batteries.

Here are some pictures of the quick installation instructions. Number 7 seems to show how I can install the shunt to my two 6-volt batteries;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron-SmartShunt-500A-50mV-SHU050150050-800x800.png
Views:	54
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	258836   Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartShunt 1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	258837   Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartShunt 2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	258838  
Wayfaring Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #2

Just like the picture. Make sure you have the neg wire that goes to the chassis ground. Take the neg lead off your battery. Connect to the shunt. Then connect the new neg cable you have to the battery to the shunts other terminal.
Now do the positive wire they provided to give the shunt power.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #3

Check out this link to the Smart Shunt on the AM Solar site. Click on the link to wiring diagrams for their own instruction page.

https://amsolar.com/rv-battery-monitors/60-vtsst

I’ve always found the videos and instruction AM Solar has on their website to be excellent. On a previous rig I did the complete install on being they are 40 miles from where we live I got most of the components from them so learned also about their excellent customer service whether someone is having them install, or a DIY project like mine.

Good Luck
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #4

Same as above but make sure the shunt is oriented as shown in the picture. If the wrong end is closest to battery terminal the system will show "charge current" when it's actually " discharge".

Picture shows the "green" terminals on the end where cable from battery negative terminal is to be connected. Also marked on top with " battery minus".

If reversed no damage will be done, just reversed readings on your phone display and inaccurate SOC and DOD readings.

Just make sure the shunt is the ONLY connection to the battery so ALL current in and out of battery goes through shunt.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #5

Number 7 is not the answer you are looking for.

The video posted by Rolland is very good.

Note that black wire shown in the video is a new wire from the other end of the smart shunt to the open negative terminal on the battery.

The manual does not tell you that this is an additional part that you will likely need to purchase. Seems like a real oversight in the Victron documentation.
robcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrawford View Post

Note that black wire shown in the video is a new wire from the other end of the smart shunt to the open negative terminal on the battery.

The manual does not tell you that this is an additional part that you will likely need to purchase. Seems like a real oversight in the Victron documentation.
Needing an extra cable from battery to shunt also irritated me. I bought the smallest length and it was still too much cable so I cut it in half and put a new cable end on the half length. Also, when I first installed mine, I was getting like 10 notices that voltage was too high. I fiddled with settings for days and then all a sudden I got an update to install that fixed that. I really like the smart shunt as before I had no idea what the State of Charge was to avoid drawing down below 50%.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #7

Shunt on double 6V Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaring Stranger View Post
I took the advice of members here and installed a battery watering system to maintain my two 6-volt batteries in our Cardinal 3825fl. Then I researched a battery minder and purchased the Victron SmartShunt 500A/50mV.

Now that I have it, I am baffled at exactly how to install it. It came with only a quick installation guide and a suggestion to view additional instructions online. When I went to the Victron web site and clicked on support, I read the following;

Victron does not provide direct support to end-users and installers. The channel to support with your Victron products is with the place of purchase.

Has anyone here install this shunt in their battery compartment? I can't be certain it works with two six volt batteries.

Here are some pictures of the quick installation instructions. Number 7 seems to show how I can install the shunt to my two 6-volt batteries;
I don’t think anyone answered your question about how to hook it up to two 6V batteries. Was that your question?
Old 07-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklamartin View Post
I don’t think anyone answered your question about how to hook it up to two 6V batteries. Was that your question?
If that was the question, the video linked above clearly shows how to hook up to two 6v batteries.
robcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklamartin View Post
To hook up to two 6 v batteries in series it's really no different than hooking up with one 12 volt battery. Connect 12 v positive wire to same terminal of battery feeding RV 12 V system. Negative is through shunt which is connected to battery.

Diagram 7 merely shows how to add the "center point voltage" sensing wire so your monitor can tell if one of the 6 volt batteries is lower SOC then the other.

There are two connections for small wires on the shunt. One is for the 12v positive power source the shunt needs to operate. The other can be configured to measure Starting Battery Voltage, Mid-Point voltage (as shown in figure 7), or to measure battery temp with optional sensor. These functions can be selected in the setup feature of the phone app.

Since you are using 6 volt batteries in series it's not a bad idea to use he mid-point voltage feature. It can warn you of an imbalance in the two batteries and if one has to be over-charged in order to balance the charge between the two batteries.

If using a Victron Solar Controller than using the Temperature feature is better as it can then tell the Solar Controller to cut back charge rate if battery gets too hot or speed it up if it's cold.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #10

Be careful with the little hot wire. Should be on the dowstream side of the disconnect switch or you are adding a parasitic load when in storage? I think.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Be careful with the little hot wire. Should be on the dowstream side of the disconnect switch or you are adding a parasitic load when in storage? I think.
The load for the shunt is only in milliamps and should be connected directly to the battery. Keeps stored data in the shunt alive.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #12

Two items I noticed in the Smart Shunt info. If you disconnect the shunt, you loose the history and upon startup, your state of charge will show 100%, even though it isn't until it reconfigures the actual reading.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrawford View Post

Thanks to everyone who replied. I wanted to go purchase the additional 20" negative wire today, but we are living in a secluded part of Washington (Puget Island) and the NAPA store won't be open until the morning. I will watch the posted video later tonight.

I'll try to take a few pictures of the process to share.

Once this issue is resolved, our next concern is to contact Ford and try to get a build date on the 2022 F-350 we ordered on May 20th. We found a dealer in Apple Valley, Minnesota that was willing to sell at invoice and thinks it might get built before November. We hope to move the camper from Washington to Arizona in December.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
To hook up to two 6 v batteries in series it's really no different than hooking up with one 12 volt battery. Connect 12 v positive wire to same terminal of battery feeding RV 12 V system. Negative is through shunt which is connected to battery.

Diagram 7 merely shows how to add the "center point voltage" sensing wire so your monitor can tell if one of the 6 volt batteries is lower SOC then the other.

There are two connections for small wires on the shunt. One is for the 12v positive power source the shunt needs to operate. The other can be configured to measure Starting Battery Voltage, Mid-Point voltage (as shown in figure 7), or to measure battery temp with optional sensor. These functions can be selected in the setup feature of the phone app.

Since you are using 6 volt batteries in series it's not a bad idea to use he mid-point voltage feature. It can warn you of an imbalance in the two batteries and if one has to be over-charged in order to balance the charge between the two batteries.

If using a Victron Solar Controller than using the Temperature feature is better as it can then tell the Solar Controller to cut back charge rate if battery gets too hot or speed it up if it's cold.
Thanks Mike, I should be able to get the work done tomorrow and then let everyone know if I was successful.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #15

I got the shunt installed this morning. Had to delay the work for one day because we were relocating our 5th wheel to a new location on the property, right up next to the slough (great views).

I went to NAPA yesterday and purchased a 24" battery cable that was required. I mounted the shunt against the interior wall of the battery compartment. all connections went smoothly and took just ten minutes. Afterwards, I topped off the batteries with distilled water. They didn't require much.

The last procedure was to download the Victron Application and get it working on my cell phone. That did not go smoothly and I spent over 30 minutes getting it done. It kept failing to connect. Then I sat within two feet of the device to get it to connect and it worked. Then I was told to change the default PIN code (000000). I did and now it won't open. It keeps trying to use the default PIN code and not the new code I changed to. "No Devices Found" Use our detailed troubleshooting guide in the manual. Watch the instructional video to learn how to do that.

If I had only left the default PIN code in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ab rv1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	258995   Click image for larger version

Name:	ab rv2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	258996   Click image for larger version

Name:	ab rv5.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	258997   Click image for larger version

Name:	ab rv6.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	258998   Click image for larger version

Name:	ab rv8.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	258999  

Old 07-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #16

I too just received and installed mine, yesterday. I too see the "default PIN code" prompt when trying to connect. This, after changing the PIN. But if I'm close enough, it connects successfully. Are you still within a couple of feet?

Regardless, "close enough" happens to be within just a few feet, as you found. I've heard from others here that the device's range leaves something to be desired. I considered that when I ordered it, but I was hoping I to at least check the battery from inside the trailer. Can't do that even when I'm sitting on the front bunk. I guess the trailer wall effectively shields the signal.

You also can reset the PIN. Instructions are provided on page 26 of the PDF user's manual, downloadable from Victron's website.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
I too just received and installed mine, yesterday. I too see the "default PIN code" prompt when trying to connect. This, after changing the PIN. But if I'm close enough, it connects successfully. Are you still within a couple of feet?

Regardless, "close enough" happens to be within just a few feet, as you found. I've heard from others here that the device's range leaves something to be desired. I considered that when I ordered it, but I was hoping I to at least check the battery from inside the trailer. Can't do that even when I'm sitting on the front bunk. I guess the trailer wall effectively shields the signal.

You also can reset the PIN. Instructions are provided on page 26 of the PDF user's manual, downloadable from Victron's website.
The Victron bluetooth ranges vary by type of device. Items with built in bluetooth, like smart solar controller or battery monitor, have very short range.

Longer range if the device has a bluetooth "dongle" connected to it. I have a BMV-702 with dongle and it's range is over 30'. Apparently the dongle has a berrer antenna.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post

Now that I reset the PIN code to 000000, I have it working again. I'm testing the range right now. Our Cardinal has a front living room and I'm sitting on one of the sofas, less than ten feet from the battery compartment. It connected once and failed to connect once. It's showing voltage at 13.60V, current of 0.17A, power at 2W, state of charge 100%, and starter battery is showing 6.78V. I have two six volt batteries and that probably explains the starter battery reading.

Now I can move on to my next project, replacing the long plastic tube attached to the frame to hold the sewer hose, with a larger diameter tube that my new 15' sewer hose will fit inside of. And yes, I will be consulting the local braintrust on this site to help solve this new problem.