Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
"You won't harm electronics using a conventional generator."

WRONG !

Mis-information
abounds. Here is a quote from the Champion open frame generator web site.

"Electronic devices, including computers and many programmable appliances use components that are designed to operate within a narrow voltage range and may be affected by momentary voltage fluctuations.
While there is no way to prevent voltage fluctuations, you can take steps to protect sensitive electronic equipment.
1. Install UL1449, CSA-listed, plug-in surge suppressors on the outlets feeding your sensitive equipment. Surge suppressors come in single- or multi-outlet styles. They’re designed to protect against virtually all short-duration voltage fluctuations."
I've use my Honda powered open frame gen for over 9 years and have had all kinds of electronics running off it with never an issue. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #22

So all the different warnings about open frame generators and sensitive electronic devices is just an old wifes tale.
I wonder about MSW inverters and sensitive electronic equipment, if those warning are also just made up.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
What is the best way to lock these devices to prevent theft? I've seen a lot of them secured with chains or cables but don't know which is the best method.
A lot of variables here. Locked to your truck or trailer? Size cable, size chain? Type of lock? 5er or tt? Running it full time or just when you are there?

I don't use mine often but when I do it is used all day to run my ac for my dog. I have a platform welded to my 5er's bumper and it is chained and padlocked there with a heavy chain and good lock.

If someone wants it they can get it no matter what. If they want my 5er they could cut that lock and take it. I have a steel cup and padlock that goes over the king pin. If someone wants something they are going to get it no matter what you do.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I've use my Honda powered open frame gen for over 9 years and have had all kinds of electronics running off it with never an issue. Later RJD
Yes, a Honda though not a less expensive gen. A lot depends on how you use it also. A cheap gen used to charge batteries used to run a full sign wave inverter would work fine as long as noise is not an issue.

Jim
Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
With that said, using a 3600 rpm generator is not neighbor friendly and even when I boondock camp in the back country (we have a 4 inch lift on our camper), I wouldn't run one just for peace and quiet. I will admit I'm a hypocrite and have no problem destroying that peace and quiet in the back country when I snowmobile.....aftermarket pipe/can and throttle pegged to 8200 rpm is music to my ears while crushing that powder off trail.
NOISE is one of the biggest problems with cheap screaming Harbor Freight generators! The other problem is many don't last more than a couple of years.

If you want a quiet one that will hold up well buy a decent one to start with, not your third time.

Jim
Old 12-07-2015, 01:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
One other thing...You should consider a dual fuel option so you can use Propane. Gasoline is known to go bad after a few months in storage and it will ruin your generator's engine.
If you add a double dose of stabil to a full tank, run it thru the generator under load to ensure it gets into the carb bowl you should be good for at least a year.

The fuel in my snowmobiles was 8 months old and they started just fine recently. Double dose of stabil did the trick. The fuel in my generator is from my last camping trip in August. I fired it up yesterday and it ran just fine.

2 year old fuel in my chainsaw, a little hard to start but ran fine after warmed up.....don't recommend this for large ticket items.

I used to drain the fuel and run my engines dry but I haven't had to once I realized that a double dose of Stabil works great!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

I also can second stabil. I started just adding it to my gas cans so it goes in all my stuff. No more hard starts and stail fuel. I keep cans for outages, store for a year or more if I miss a can. Never any trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If you add a double dose of stabil to a full tank, run it thru the generator under load to ensure it gets into the carb bowl you should be good for at least a year.

The fuel in my snowmobiles was 8 months old and they started just fine recently. Double dose of stabil did the trick. The fuel in my generator is from my last camping trip in August. I fired it up yesterday and it ran just fine.

2 year old fuel in my chainsaw, a little hard to start but ran fine after warmed up.....don't recommend this for large ticket items.

I used to drain the fuel and run my engines dry but I haven't had to once I realized that a double dose of Stabil works great!
I use Stabil also. Come spring I use the gas in the cans for my lawn mower and replace. My gas is never over a year old.

Jim
Old 12-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #29

I have several pieces of lawn equipment some 2stroke and some 4stroke, I buy the Stihl 50:1 premix cans of gas at the lawn equipment place.

At the end of the season or when I put the Generator away I run each one completely out of gas then add a little of the premix back into each piece of equipment and then start it and let it run out with the premix. Then store it away for next season.

I've never had any issue with equipment like I use to.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I have several pieces of lawn equipment some 2stroke and some 4stroke, I buy the Stihl 50:1 premix cans of gas at the lawn equipment place.

At the end of the season or when I put the Generator away I run each one completely out of gas then add a little of the premix back into each piece of equipment and then start it and let it run out with the premix. Then store it away for next season.

I've never had any issue with equipment like I use to.
Lack of the ethanol in the premix helps a lot I'm sure. Ate right through the rubber gaskets of the fuel tank on my home generator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #31

Had an Onan installed in the front storage bay as a backup. Last year was the first time in 6 years that I didn't need it due to power outages due to weather, overloaded campground wiring and such. It gets awfully hot in the summer here in Kansas so instead of the portable Honda, I had the Onan installed in this 5ver. No regrets, can virtually camp everywhere with the residential fridge.
kssportsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator