Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:57 AM   #41

I am a little slow upstairs sometimes if you know what I mean but I just thought of something. When anyone comes on here and says anything about what kind of truck to get it never fails to bring out the weight police. I have figured it out, this has brought out the battery police. Where is a moderator when you need one, please do me a favor and shut this thread down. I'm tired of being called stupid and other stuff, I know what I'm doing. If you can't post anything positive then don't post!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I am a little slow upstairs sometimes if you know what I mean but I just thought of something. When anyone comes on here and says anything about what kind of truck to get it never fails to bring out the weight police. I have figured it out, this has brought out the battery police. Where is a moderator when you need one, please do me a favor and shut this thread down. I'm tired of being called stupid and other stuff, I know what I'm doing. If you can't post anything positive then don't post!

There was a Moderator here trying to help. He is busy elsewhere.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #43

You asked! I am not being negative just posting data. All design is a compromise between device parameters and intended use.

2015 335DS
Old 04-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #44
Site Team

It's all good, and we are all friends here just trying to learn and help one another. When I first looked at the pic posted in the second post, it was confusing to me somewhat as it appeared the cable on the left hand side of the battery bank (the one that has the red terminal) was actually two cables and perhaps were load wires going to the inverter. It was hard to tell with the center of the cable being kind of in the dark,

Once I downloaded the pic and brightened it up, I could tell it was just one long cable, connecting the two negative terminals....and there are not load wires currently installed. This may have been the same confusion for others in this thread too.

Spock123, I cannot see where anyone has called you or anybody else "stupid". It's been a good thread, although initially confusing somewhat to me. It's a learning opportunity for many, and some good advice/experience has been shared.

We should be all good. Live long and prosper as my favorite Spock would say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	104453  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Perhaps but 250 is all there is! Look at the specs for your spanking new T-105s. Sure you can run everything...for how long? Looks to me like about 35 minutes per pair...and that is to 10.5 volts...i.e. totally discharged...totally dead...0% SOC! Both banks together would be 70 minutes and that is really an optimistic number. Then how you gonna charge them cause if you don't do it right away they will be permanently damaged.

And that is only at 250 amps or the equivalent of 25 amps of shore power.

Look for yourself. http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/dat...ata_Sheets.pdf
You had me confused with another on this post in your rush to ____. I have over 800Ah of battery! That will last quite a while even running the AC. I have 150amps of charging, shore power, generator, plus solar.

Again, one needs to be polite and not dismissive. I am just trying to assist with things many have never considered that I have been doing for decades. It will be easier to see and understand in a couple of months once I get my TT and "my mods" installed. The pics will make it obvious what I've been trying to communicate.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25FKS View Post
You had me confused
No...actually you had me confused when you said that you were installing this bank of 4 T-105's to power your inverter. So...that is all they will give you. If you bring on your other bank of 4 whatever's then of course you have more. I wasn't being dismissive I was simply responding to what you posted.

2015 335DS
Old 04-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
No...actually you had me confused when you said that you were installing this bank of 4 T-105's to power your inverter. So...that is all they will give you. If you bring on your other bank of 4 whatever's then of course you have more. I wasn't being dismissive I was simply responding to what you posted.
I try not to quote because it usually just gets that person possibly upset, but here it must be noted that the post was by the original person Spock123 not 25FKS, but you have overlooked the obvious details. I never mentioned I had T105s.

I'm done at this point - you apparently will continue on ..... I am not trying to upset anyone, but when someone insists on facts that are incorrect, I will do my best to point them in the correct direction unless futility sets in.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #48

Of course you are correct. We were having a "who is on first" with Spock. My bad, sorry.

2015 335DS
Old 04-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #49

[QUOTE=spock123;1158110]I have a new bank of Trojans, T-105. I have 4 six volt batteries, I picked them up in Florida for $100 bucks apiece. I am hooking up a 40amp charger plus a 3000 watt inverter, all hard wired. This bank will be just for microwave and tv. I have a residential refrigerator and a separate bank of batteries for the refrigerator. On some of the wiring to the batteries I will not be able to hook all the cables to the right post. Would it be okay to bolt some of the cables together. I could drill a hole in a cable end and bolt them together right at the post. Would it be worth it to install a inline fuse on the positive side? On the inverter I have 2 positive cables and 2 negative cables. I have did this before about eight years ago but the batteries were brought from Sam's and I had more post to work with. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums[/QUOTE

I would start with inverter as close to batteries as possible. 3000 watt inverter will pull about 250 amps from the battery so fuse accordingly and fuse as near the batteries as you can. Keep you 12v run as short as possible and without getting too technical, I would say 2-0 cables. That is not to be confused with 2ga which is about two sizes smaller. I run 2ga to a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter with no problems on a 3 Foot run, but never run full load for more than a couple minutes.

With a res frig, and big batteries in addition to house batts, and inverter planning I assume you are planning to be off grid some. What are you charging with? If you run 4 sixes in a bank, I would think 400 Watts solar per bank of four would give you virtual energy Independence. It's a sizable investment but more manageable from WindyNation.com or Renogy.com. good luck
Old 04-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #50

Quote:
I am thinking that on my inverter with the two positive cables I could hook both up to one battery disconnects and then run one cable to the batteries and do the same for the negative side. The negative side is not the problem.

I tied mine the other way. Two battery leads to one big fuse and one big fuse cable to the single lug on my inverter. I think they do two lug to double wire and thereby let you use thiner more flexible cables. As long as what feeds the two, is balanced in GA and run length seems like it should be no problem.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #51

If I put a fuse block in, could I put one on the negative post and one on the positive post to allow me to stack the cables from the inverter. Plus the fuse would be a safety factor. What size fuse? I saw one on Amazon along with 2/0 battery cables at a good price. My battery post are 5/16 and the cables only come in 3/8.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:51 PM   #52

Quote:
If I put a fuse block in, could I put one on the negative post and one on the positive post to allow me to stack the cables from the inverter. Plus the fuse would be a safety factor. What size fuse? I saw one on Amazon along with 2/0 battery cables at a good price. My battery post are 5/16 and the cables only come in 3/8.

My Tech guys asked me the QUESTION Are you afraid that the Negative will "GROUND OUT". The Positive is what is in danger of shorting out

So He suggested and from now on I fuse at the power source Battery or Panel then Fuse again at the appliance if it is at all high amperage.

He convinced me that a fuse on the Negative is a waste of effort and expense.

Tom
Old 04-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
My Tech guys asked me the QUESTION Are you afraid that the Negative will "GROUND OUT". The Positive is what is in danger of shorting out

So He suggested and from now on I fuse at the power source Battery or Panel then Fuse again at the appliance if it is at all high amperage.

He convinced me that a fuse on the Negative is a waste of effort and expense.

Tom

How else can I stack the cable ends?

Old 04-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #54

On my inverter I have 2 positive cables coming from the inverter, can I hook both positive cables to one battery disconnect? That way I can get rid of the knife switch. I can also put a battery disconnect on the positive side of the charger, that way I will only have to have 2 battery disconnects. I plan to use 2/0 cable and put a fuse block on the batteries, also put a bus bar in so each cable will be on one post. I think on the negative side I can run all the negative cables to one bus bar. I'll look at my set up before I order anything. All my cables will be 12in long and 2/0

Old 04-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #55

l.lo
Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #56

I think I'm going to run the cable straight from the charger to the hot post on the battery, no battery disconnect.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #57

Quote:
I think I'm going to run the cable straight from the charger to the hot post on the battery, no battery disconnect.

Through a fuse, right?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 04-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #58

Yes.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #59

I don't know if this is right but what I plan to do is install a terminal fuse block on the positive post on my bank of batteries so I can have more room to stack my leads from inverter and charger from. The negative cables will go to a bus bar. All my battery cables will be 2/0, the ones that will hook up the battery bank will be 12 inches long and from the inverter and charger will be 24 inches long. I'm going to take out the knife switches and put a battery disconnect on the positive side of the inverter.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #60

Be Careful !!!!

Quote:
On my inverter I have 2 positive cables coming from the inverter, can I hook both positive cables to one battery disconnect?
I do not know what Inverter and its output type you are using, but if the 2 outputs are like the multi-phase generator outputs combining them will result in shorts and sparks vs a smooth parallel combined output! That type is not meant to be combined in a 120Vac Scenario. That is designed for 240Vac output or 2 dedicated independent 120Vac circuits that do not share anything except possibly a ground - not even neutral.
Closed Thread

Tags
inverter, wiring, battery