Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 05:46 PM   #1

Need help removing outside light cover and replacing burned out bulb

We have a 2016 Cardinal 3825fl and when I flip both of the switches for the curbside and drivers side exterior lights, nothing happens. It's possible both have bad bulbs when the previous owner left them on. I'm including pictures of the lights in hope that someone is familiar with removing the lens and replacing the bulbs. I've scrapped some caulking from around the perimeter of both lights and squeezed the plastic to see if they would come off. I don't want to damage them, so I am waiting for further advice from folks here and from a local RV repair shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper lights.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	257530   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper lights 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	257531   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper lights 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	257532  
Wayfaring Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I don’t have that style of lights but……..

Is it possible that just the lens comes off IF you use a micro screwdriver like for eyeglass repair? Logic would dictate you shouldn’t have to try to remove the plastic housing from the sidewall and damaging the painted surfaces.

Get a magnifying glass to see if there’s the smallest location to pry the clear lens out from the base.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I don’t have that style of lights but……..

Is it possible that just the lens comes off IF you use a micro screwdriver like for eyeglass repair? Logic would dictate you shouldn’t have to try to remove the plastic housing from the sidewall and damaging the painted surfaces.

Get a magnifying glass to see if there’s the smallest location to pry the clear lens out from the base.
Thank you, Ken. My first approach should have been to ask people here and not cut around the perimeter of the outer plastic cover. When I got up close I could see three tabs holding the clear plastic lens in place. As I pried the one at the top of the lens, it pulled out and I could remove the bulb. Both bulbs in both light fixtures were burned out. Now I'm going to try to find a replacement bulb that is an LED, if that is possible.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #4

Yes... I've had to replace these bulbs. Use a small screw driver as the last poster suggested near the bottom middle of the lens. Carefully pri up and out. Once the bottom is released it will drop out.

Mine were bayonet bulbs. I replaced with these LEDs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYTNO8S...p_mob_ap_share

Have fun.
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:29 PM   #5

Yes, it is the clear lens that pops out, like others posted. And definitely pick up some LED bulbs, worth the price.

firephighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:30 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaring Stranger View Post
Thank you, Ken. My first approach should have been to ask people here and not cut around the perimeter of the outer plastic cover. When I got up close I could see three tabs holding the clear plastic lens in place. As I pried the one at the top of the lens, it pulled out and I could remove the bulb. Both bulbs in both light fixtures were burned out. Now I'm going to try to find a replacement bulb that is an LED, if that is possible.
Great. Glad you were able to get to the bulbs.
Now find a good LED replacement that fits your lens.
12 volts offers a lot of selection.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #7

before you take the cover off please do this!

we have a 2015 3925fl. those lights are controlled by either the hardwired switch in the control panel OR the lippert remote. this remote can be used for the 3 hydraulic slides, the awning, and those lights. there is a fuse (5 amp i believe) up in the lippert control board that is in the light circuit. the fuse for those lights is not back in the main 12 volt fuse panel. go up front to the lippert control board, pull the fuse for the lights, and check it.

i had to replace this fuse when i couldn't get my lights to work using the switch in the read control panel.

hope this helps!
Old 06-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #8

i should have also said it is super easy to get to the light bulbs themselves. don't worry about the seam where the light fixture is sealed to the wall. the light fixture is a two piece assembly. the is the base and there is the pop out clear or tinted plastic bezel. just put a knife blade between the two and with a little pressure the bezel will pop out.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i should have also said it is super easy to get to the light bulbs themselves. don't worry about the seam where the light fixture is sealed to the wall. the light fixture is a two piece assembly. the is the base and there is the pop out clear or tinted plastic bezel. just put a knife blade between the two and with a little pressure the bezel will pop out.
The two lights are controlled by two switches on the control panel in the bedroom. One says driver side and one is called curbside light. I ordered ten LED bayonet LED bulbs from Amazon to replace the two badly burned out bulbs behind the clear lens, and I will also be replacing the upper and lower exterior door light bulbs on both entry doors. They have the orange lens but the exact same bulbs.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
Yes... I've had to replace these bulbs. Use a small screw driver as the last poster suggested near the bottom middle of the lens. Carefully pri up and out. Once the bottom is released it will drop out.

Mine were bayonet bulbs. I replaced with these LEDs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYTNO8S...p_mob_ap_share

Have fun.
Ron
I got the lens removed and pulled the burned out bulbs. I did have to get some black silicone caulking and put a new seal around the other black plastic light frame. I got on Amazon and ordered the bayonet LED bulbs. I ordered enough to also replace the four bulbs in the four entrance lights.

I only have one other light that is not working. It is an LED light that is flat and is mounted under a kitchen cabinet, with a flat glass lens mounted over it. Since LED lights last a long time, I'm wondering if the problem isn't wiring. But I'll investigate it more tomorrow.

Tags
cover, light