Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #1

Need Help with Running Light Problem

I have a 2016 Primetime Avenger 28DBS. Unfortunately, I was only able to go camping in it once the first summer (2016) that I bought the camper and I towed it during the day both ways. The following summer I used it a few times but again, towed it during the day and in good weather, no rain, so I never towed it with the lights on. Before I ever tow the trailer, I check ALL of the lights, brake lights, running lights, everything, however the running lights are only on for a few minutes while I am performing this check.

Last September I was bringing the camper back to the dealer that I purchased it at for a repair. It was raining that afternoon but once hitched up I performed my routine light check and everything was good. I had the headlights on my truck turned on and about half way into the 10 - 15 minute drive to the dealer, I noticed the running lights on my camper were out. I got to the dealer and found the 20 amp fuse in my trucks fuse panel for trailer running lights had blown. I installed a new fuse and the lights came back on but I only kept them on for a few minutes. I told the service writer about it, he wiggles the 7 way plug a bit, nothing changed and he said he'd have the mechanic check it out. A few days later they told me it was an issue with the truck. They said they plugged some tester into the 7 way plug on my trailer and it showed good. They said they also towed my trailer with their Ford F-350 and the fuse in that truck did not blow. I towed my trailer home with the lights on and halfway home the fuse blew again and I lost the lights.

After a lot of checking and back and forth with the dealer, I insisted on towing a similar trailer from the dealer with my truck. We did and the fuse DID NOT blow. The mechanic eventually contacted Forest Rivers Tech support and they advised a different type of trouble shooting technique. The mechanic performed this test and found there was .56 volts coming back on the ground side, causing the fuse to eventually blow. They then determined that a few of the running lights were wired “backwards" and this was the cause of the problem. They began to work on the problem but soon found it was beyond their capabilities and had the camper transported to a facility with more capability. It was with them for 2 months and I was called to pick up my camper yesterday. A few minutes into my drive home, the fuse blew again and I again lost the running lights. I brought the camper back to my dealer. They have not contacted me yet as to what will be done next.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? When this was discovered this problem I was a few months past the 1 year manufactures warrantee and Forest River will not cover it. This is apparently a factory defect, one that they (FR) must have seen before as they knew exactly what to have the mechanic check for.

Also, could the fuse for my truck be too low of an amperage? It is what my manual says should be in there, I am the original owner of the truck, I never had any issues before towing other trailers with this truck and until this first happened with this trailer, that fuse was the factory fuse.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Kroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
Site Team

I assume that it didn't happen at exactly the half way point every time, cause that would be just creepy!

Given that it works for a while, I'd be looking for an intermittent short in the RV wiring. If it was the truck wiring it would blow the fuse without the RV being connected.

Start by opening up the junction box near the tongue and seeing if there are any wires loose or chafed in the box or at the cable entrances.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #3

I agree that if it was the truck it would blow without the trailer.

Its very strange though, when I am towing it out of the dealer and on the streets, where the trailer is bouncing and twisting more than any other situation, it does not blow, when I am on the highway or some other smooth stretch of road is when it blows. Its more of a time thing and not a twisting/bouncing thing.
Kroni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light