Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2024, 01:27 PM   #1

New 120v Outlets

Hey FR Forums,

I recently purchased a 2021 R-Pod 180 Hood River Edition and there is a very low number of 120v outlets around the kitchen. I've seen other trims/packages that have a few more installed and I'd like to put a few in myself. I know they will only work on shore/inverter power, but want the ability to use electronics while cooking.

It also looks like there are wires already run to the locations I'd like to install the pugs. I just need to know if they are 120 V or something else.
Unfortunately, I can't find a good wiring diagram for my model.

Can any of you please point me into the right direction for a wiring diagram, and/or weigh in if the below cables are likely 120v or not.
I will definitely use a multi-meter to confirm the voltage before installing anything, but don't want to cut into any wires if I don't need to.
I'm also happy to run new wires if needed.

Thanks!

First socket location:
I want to install a socket in the over kitchen cabinet, facing down. Many 180s already have 1 near this location, but on the side of the fridge.
When I look behind the fridge I see red/white wires that LOOK like they could be 120v power for the other models and I was hoping to just tie into these for the socket.
Anyone know if this would work? (yes, I may have to tie them into the fuse box not the other end)
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240331_173720550.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	298241

Second Socket Location:
I also found this very long piece of yellow/black wire inside the shower access panel. Could this also be 120V?
I'd move the socket location away from the shower connections, but it'd be great if I can just tie into this wire.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240330_195033036.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	298242

Thanks for any help, and suggestions on adding 120v outlets!
Tpodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:45 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

None of those wires look like 120v AC.
A test with a multimeter would tell but that is typically the type of wiring used for 12v DC accessories.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:49 PM   #3

I don't know your brand or model but I just did an extensive electrical upgrade to our 2024 Surveyor, from front to back and as far as I could tell, all 120V wires were solid core wire, with single color sheaths, as you'd find in a house.

If it is flexible, then stranded wire and probably 12V.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the help!

Looks like i'll have to run my own wires! Luckily there is already wiring under the sink I can tap into.

Maybe that red/white in the fridge is for a 3-way connection (mines only 2-way). So at least I'll have some pre-wired cables! ;-)
Old 03-31-2024, 02:39 PM   #5

Yes, look for NM (Non-Metallic) cable, commonly called after a prominent brand, Romex. It will have AWG 12 or AWG 14 solid (not stranded) conductors.

You do realize that the present outlets are not like the residential/commercial outlets like you may be used to, right? They are Self-Contained Devices (SCDs) designed to attach to the NM cable with a punchdown tool, and to be mounted directly in the wall with no junction box. They can accept one or two cables; that is, they may be used in the middle or end of a run.

By the way, your outside walls are probably not thick enough for most standard junction boxes. You have two options:
  1. Use SCD outlets. The professional punchdown tool costs a few hundred dollars and crimps all the conductors at once. The $40 one from Amazon or eBay can be used, but you have to push each conductor down separately. Some people use two 1x3 scraps and a pair of clamps to press the back cover on.
  2. Use this tiny 1-1/8" deep P&S box or this tiny 1'1/4" deep Carlon box with a conventional screw-terminal outlet. Note that this must be used at the end of a run. There is simply not enough room for two sets of wires with these boxes. (The Carlon B117RSWR box DOES have enough room for two cables, if you can find one.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 03:35 PM   #6

A little off subject, but a handy tool to have is a non-contact voltage tester (sometimes called a Wiggy). It will sense if a line or receptacle is live with AC voltage without contact with the wire. They're priced starting around $10.
Old 03-31-2024, 03:59 PM   #7

I also added an outlet in my RV. I had an open slot in my power center. So I added a new breaker and ran the wire to where I wanted it. Helps prevent overloading the existing 15 amp circuit. Because the "wall" is so thin, I cut the hole for the box and glued lengths of wood paint stirrers above and below the opening on the back side for added strength.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 05:51 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
None of those wires look like 120v AC.
A test with a multimeter would tell but that is typically the type of wiring used for 12v DC accessories.
X2. Those wire are not 120 VAC. Most likely 12V which may suffice for your 12V accessories. You'll have to check them for voltage.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

You have two options:
  1. Use SCD outlets. The professional punchdown tool costs a few hundred dollars and crimps all the conductors at once. The $40 one from Amazon or eBay can be used, but you have to push each conductor down separately. Some people use two 1x3 scraps and a pair of clamps to press the back cover on.
  2. Use this tiny 1-1/8" deep P&S box or this tiny 1'1/4" deep Carlon box with a conventional screw-terminal outlet. Note that this must be used at the end of a run. There is simply not enough room for two sets of wires with these boxes. (The Carlon B117RSWR box DOES have enough room for two cables, if you can find one.)
3.... choose the location for the new outlets wisely
so you can use a standard 120v boxes and outlet.
you can easily put standard or low profile boxes from hardware store in a cupboard

You could also use surface mount outlet under the upper cupboards
OR
install a popup outlet on the kitchen counter
------------------------------------------------------------------------

adding more outlets = good recipe for popping breakers

be aware of what else is turned on
air conditioner, water heater and converter will eat up a large part of your power sharing allotment

add a coffee maker and electric skillet ................... POP
Old 04-01-2024, 08:00 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
3.... choose the location for the new outlets wisely
so you can use a standard 120v boxes and outlet.
you can easily put standard or low profile boxes from hardware store in a cupboard

You could also use surface mount outlet under the upper cupboards
OR
install a popup outlet on the kitchen counter
------------------------------------------------------------------------

adding more outlets = good recipe for popping breakers

be aware of what else is turned on
air conditioner, water heater and converter will eat up a large part of your power sharing allotment

add a coffee maker and electric skillet ................... POP
X2
Not sure the OP ever said the amperage of their shore power but if just 30a, adding outlets for more than just a more convenient place to plug something in can quickly overload the breaker and a 30a supply.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post
A little off subject, but a handy tool to have is a non-contact voltage tester (sometimes called a Wiggy). It will sense if a line or receptacle is live with AC voltage without contact with the wire. They're priced starting around $10.
Wiggy:
https://electricalconnection.com.au/...l-about-wiggy/

Non Contact Voltage Tester:
https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/bl...etector-basics

Both are good to have. A wiggy will test the circuit with a load. Never realized at least some are DC also. Will have to see if mine is as I only used it on AC circuits.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:44 AM   #12

"Will have to see if mine is as I only used it on AC circuits."

Same here. My Ideal Amp Clamp meter has a built in non contact voltage tester but I never thought to try it on DC.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:05 AM   #13

Last summer I added a 120V outlet to our 2022 Surveyor. I placed it at the end of the lower bunk near the slide out. The bathroom 120V outlet is a GFCI outlet and is full size, residential style, not one of the SCD type outlet. I was able to run some 14g Romex under the bathroom sink, through the wall to under the lower bunk and then up to the new outlet. I used a regular single gang box for the outlet.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:01 AM   #14

I cheated and added an extra duplex outlet by the dinette. I used a thin box and an outside 15-20 amp inlet. Has a cover and has prongs like an extension cord. I just run an extra 12AWG cord from the power pedestal. No drag on the TT 30amp breakers. I use it for the toaster or sometimes coffee maker so I can use those while using the A/C, water heater, & microwave. I know, even that’s pushing it but I got to keep my coffee HOT. For long microwave cooking times I still shut off the A/C. Before adding this outlet, I always ran a seperate cord for outdoor use vice using the built in exterior outlet for the electric frying pan. Actually we most often use the toaster outside as it tends to set off the smoke detector ;(
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 11:04 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2
Not sure the OP ever said the amperage of their shore power but if just 30a, adding outlets for more than just a more convenient place to plug something in can quickly overload the breaker and a 30a supply.
The OP's trailer is 30 amp.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:36 PM   #16

Hey everyone!

Sorry for missing all the replies. I ended up running my own 120v 10 awg cable and not tapping into those pictured. I'm pretty confident the yellow/black pair are 12v from the solar controller and the red/white are 12v that I'm guessing are for 3-way fridges (mine is only 2-way), but never confirmed.

I actually found an existing 120v outlet tucked behind fridge that supplies power to the microwave (I believe). Not sure how I missed it the first time.
Since the existing connection terminated here, I installed a residential plug/socket where I could run new cable from that socket to a new 20 amp GFI outlet above the sink.

My R-Pod 180 is 30 amp, so I'm pretty confident the 10 gauge cable can handle the load of the new outlet, it's securely attached/mounted in a box, and has the better screw down style residential connection than the original crappy "push/pinch" wire connectors that trailers have.

I've tested the microwave on the existing connection and running a vacuum off the new outlet. It works great! I do think I'd have issues if I put a major load on the new outlet while running the microwave, but it's all attached to a 15 (or 20) amp breaker and the 20 amp GFI outlet will limit excessive loads on the new plug

Let me know if you folks have any questions/concerns and I'd be happy to share pics of anyone is interested in the same thing!