Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #1

New 2020 Cherokee Wolf Pup Battery Disconnect and Power issues with slide/awning

Hi all,
I have a brand new 2020 Wolf Pup 17JG that we bought a few weeks ago. We took it out on our first trip and it was fantastic.

I took it to the dealership and had a slide topper installed and I picked it up earlier this week and when I went to test it in the parking lot the slide, awning, convenience and awning lights would not work from either the front panel or the remote using OneControl.

I noticed the voltage on the volt meter was at 16.5 which was way higher than the normal at 13.2-13.6 range.

I finally turned the battery disconnect to OFF and unplugged the red key, inserted it and turned it to ON position and for a few seconds had power again at 13.5 then it stopped and the voltage climbed to 16.6 again. I turned the Battery Disconnect to the OFF position and unplugged it again for about a couple of minutes as I was looking around At the control panel and turned the fridge (Furrion DC volt fridge) from off to the range to run in dry camp state.

When I inserted the battery disconnect back in and turned it to the ON position the voltage meter started at 16.5 and within 15 seconds or so dropped to normal range of 13.5 and awning, slide and lights all worked again normally. I told the dealer before pulling away so they were aware. They said to keep an eye on it.

I took it home and plugged it in and no issues for the next couple of days, during this time the Battery Disconnect was still in the ON position. I just came to a camp site yesterday, setup the trailer with no issues and put the awning and slide out out with no issues (checking the gauge and seeing it at 13.5). Just as I was finishing setup about 10 min later I noticed the gauge was at 16.6 and no response again to slide, awning or the outside lights. I turned the Battery Disconnect to OFF and removed the red key for a few seconds and reconnected and it was back at 16.6.

Finally I turned the Battery Disconnect to OFF again for about 3-4 minutes, plugged the red key for the battery disconnect back in and turned it to the ON position and saw it start at 16.6 but drop down to 13.5 again, everything has been working normally since. I called the dealership and they have no clue what the issue is as they have never come across this before. I will be dropping it off for them to look into after camping.

My fear is going camping and not being able to get the slide out or getting ready to leave and no way to get the slide or awning out/in in. I do know that everything works when I run from AC power only, battery disconnect turned OFF, that has been consistent.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Thanks
Falkoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Was all those readings while on just battery power? Or were you on shore power?
Getting a reading of 16.6 volts just from the battery bank is very suspect if you're not on shore power with the converter in charge mode.

What type of meter are you using to check the voltage?

The power not getting to the devices sounds like a auto-reset breaker tripping and resetting when you disconnect the battery. But that doesn't explain the jump in voltage.

Have you checked the battery voltage with the battery disconnected?
Do you have solar connected to the system?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkoar View Post
Hi all,
I have a brand new 2020 Wolf Pup 17JG that we bought a few weeks ago. We took it out on our first trip and it was fantastic.

I took it to the dealership and had a slide topper installed and I picked it up earlier this week and when I went to test it in the parking lot the slide, awning, convenience and awning lights would not work from either the front panel or the remote using OneControl.

I noticed the voltage on the volt meter was at 16.5 which was way higher than the normal at 13.2-13.6 range.

I finally turned the battery disconnect to OFF and unplugged the red key, inserted it and turned it to ON position and for a few seconds had power again at 13.5 then it stopped and the voltage climbed to 16.6 again. I turned the Battery Disconnect to the OFF position and unplugged it again for about a couple of minutes as I was looking around At the control panel and turned the fridge (Furrion DC volt fridge) from off to the range to run in dry camp state.

When I inserted the battery disconnect back in and turned it to the ON position the voltage meter started at 16.5 and within 15 seconds or so dropped to normal range of 13.5 and awning, slide and lights all worked again normally. I told the dealer before pulling away so they were aware. They said to keep an eye on it.

I took it home and plugged it in and no issues for the next couple of days, during this time the Battery Disconnect was still in the ON position. I just came to a camp site yesterday, setup the trailer with no issues and put the awning and slide out out with no issues (checking the gauge and seeing it at 13.5). Just as I was finishing setup about 10 min later I noticed the gauge was at 16.6 and no response again to slide, awning or the outside lights. I turned the Battery Disconnect to OFF and removed the red key for a few seconds and reconnected and it was back at 16.6.

Finally I turned the Battery Disconnect to OFF again for about 3-4 minutes, plugged the red key for the battery disconnect back in and turned it to the ON position and saw it start at 16.6 but drop down to 13.5 again, everything has been working normally since. I called the dealership and they have no clue what the issue is as they have never come across this before. I will be dropping it off for them to look into after camping.

My fear is going camping and not being able to get the slide out or getting ready to leave and no way to get the slide or awning out/in in. I do know that everything works when I run from AC power only, battery disconnect turned OFF, that has been consistent.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Thanks
Falkoar,

We would be happy to assist you with your Wolf Pup's battery disconnect. Please contact Sabrina Shannon in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...27398350155040.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Was all those readings while on just battery power? Or were you on shore power?
Getting a reading of 16.6 volts just from the battery bank is very suspect if you're not on shore power with the converter in charge mode.

What type of meter are you using to check the voltage?

The power not getting to the devices sounds like a auto-reset breaker tripping and resetting when you disconnect the battery. But that doesn't explain the jump in voltage.

Have you checked the battery voltage with the battery disconnected?
Do you have solar connected to the system?
Thanks Bama Rambler,

The voltage meter is the digital one mounted on the wall and is installed by the factory. There is a solar panel mounted to the roof, also factory installed.

The 16.6 voltage first time was when the trailer was in off shore mode and not connected to Hydro. The second time it happened at the park it was connected to hydro at the pole on 30 amp service.

I have not disconnected the battery at the terminals to test voltage and only relied on the voltage meter mounted on the wall.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
Site Team

The 16.6 volts could be the charge voltage from the solar controller. That's a little high, but not unheard of. Especially if the battery was disconnected from the system. Some Solar controllers need the battery load to maintain a regulated voltage more than most RV converters do.

I'm still leaning toward an Auto-Reset breaker tripping.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #6

Do you have a solar charger? I had the same issue with my 2021 Cherokee Wolf Pack 27Pack10 toy hauler. The dealer was no help at all, but with some help on Facebook and forums we determined it was the solar charger which was metering at 19.4. Once I disconnected it from the battery all readings returned to normal
tonyt1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #7

Thanks Tony,
So where did you disconnect it, at the roof? I do have a solar panel factory installed. Do you reconnect it or did you replace it?
Old 08-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #8

I disconnected the two leads from the battery. I called Furrion Directly since the dealer was no help at all, on a trailer that was less than a month old ,and they agreed that 19.4 was not good and sent me a new solar system. I haven’t had a chance to replace it yet but I don’t need it at the present time.
tonyt1251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, battery, battery disconnect, cherokee, power, slide, wolf pup