Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

New batteries

Hey guys I have a 2010 Sandstorm 203SLC (my first camper) and my batteries are dead dead, I can charge them for two days and the next day they are dead. So looking at new batteries and looking for recommendations also, are there certain things I should look for (specs) obviously deep cycle. Are the Blue Tops (Optima) worth the money or other cheaper batteries in comparison to them? Also, I don't have a shore power at my house and was wondering while parked should I keep it on a trickle charger even if the batteries are going to be brand new? The wife and I are brand new to this camper world and are figuring little things out as we go. Thanks for the help!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434402552.532167.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	80050

Sent from my iPad using Forest River
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel
2010 Sandstorm 203SLC
Brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

Take a read. Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ, Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List, and
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
Site Team

First, does it have a battery disconnect switch? If not, install one, because there are parasitic power drains that can empty a battery in just a few days.
That's if you don't hook it up to shore power.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
clr

In my opinion the special costly type batteries such as the Optima are a waste of your money in an RV, I am sure you will get other opinions here regarding this issue. But I would suggest the best wet cell battery or batteries that will fit in the available area. Larger capacity batteries are all ways better than smaller ones. As suggested a battery cutoff switch is a requirement here. But most factory installed cutoff switches do not disconnect all of the vampire loads. It is best to have a trickle charger on your batteries when they are not being used. The internal loses in the battery will discharge the battery over time with no load on the battery.
Hope this helps and welcome to the camping or RVing world.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

Consider 2 6v batteries...They are better built to take discharge and recharge over a long period of time and they don't cost any more than a good 12v dc battery.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #6

After 4 years of hard use my pair of Interstate RV/Marine group 24 batteries were not holding a charge very well. I was about to replace them when I read about chargers that can desulfate and equalize. So I spent $98 on a charger.

After 2 more years the batteries were still going strong when I sold the TT>

Have you performed a desulfate charge and an equalize charge?
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

Battery Minder makes a charger that desulfates the entire time it's running.
If you are going to invest in new batteries it is a definite must have and will extend your battery life.
lil2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #8

Any battery where the rates are in CCA and/or minutes of reserve are not well suited for RV use. You would get much more bang for your buck going with one of the big box store's 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries. (2 are required to give you 12v)

Capacity on those will be about 220 amp hours. That's a pretty decent start if you are just looking for something to get you from point A to B. They need to be maintained, but dollar for dollar it's about the best option in that price range.

That's assuming you have a fairly standard rig. Ie., electric/LP reefer...

If you like to dry camp or boondock much, have the room for them, and won't suck your piggy bank dry.. then I would go with 4 - 6v batteries.

Picking up a battery tender would be ideal if a stand alone charger is what you looking for when in storage.

Ditto on the disconnect switch.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery