RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #1

New house batteries recomendation

I have a 2018 Coachmen Concord with over 20k miles and I believe the original house batteries are defective or dead. I need recommendations for how to know which ones to get to replace. I also need to know exactly what to do to ensure these are no longer usable.
chief5631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief5631 View Post
I have a 2018 Coachmen Concord with over 20k miles and I believe the original house batteries are defective or dead. I need recommendations for how to know which ones to get to replace. I also need to know exactly what to do to ensure these are no longer usable.
Start by checking the electrolyte level in them (unless AGM's which are totally sealed). Bring the levels up to the fill ring at the bottom of the access "well" using distilled water. Charge them for several days by just plugging in the coach. Make sure the converter is working by checking voltage at battery terminals to see that it's at least 13 volts.

After charged for several days use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity in the cells. Should read over 1.260 when corrected to 80 degrees (if you use a hydrometer with a thermometer built in the correction numbers are right there for you. All cells in each battery should read within .050 (50 points) of each other. If the lowest cell is more than 50 points below the highest, new battery time. Also, if specific gravity in a fully charged battery (little or no current being accepted during charge) is 1.225 or less, battery has lost at least 25% of it's capacity. 1.190 is 50% and anything less is "wasting time with that battery".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #3

Thanks so much. I don't have hydrometer yet, but will try to get one. Problem is can't have RV parked at my house for more than 24 hours. One more main question is the propane alarm is going off and cannot turn it off unless I cut wires? There is not a propane leak. Can't find a fuse etc. I need to turn that sucker off asap or I'll have to move the rv sooner than later. Batteries charging reads 13.8, and 11.4 when I cut battery disconnect off. I also hear the converter humming (I take it thats good?).
Old 09-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #4

Talking

Alarm runs of battery. If you have a battery disconnect switch turning it off should work.
Dashir5ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashir5ver View Post
Alarm runs of battery. If you have a battery disconnect switch turning it off should work.
Alarm is usually wired direct so it provides "protection" at all times. Only way to shut off is usually to remove battery cables from batteries. Just one end is enough and makes it easier to reconnect with out reversing polarity.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 09-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #6

Ok Will do, Thanks, another question tho. I have the gen running and when I cut the battery disconnect off the battery reads over 13 volts? Should it? Does the battery disconnect work or not work with gen running?
Old 09-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #7

Converter is being powered by generator and that's why you see power with disconnect off.
Quote:
Ok Will do, Thanks, another question tho. I have the gen running and when I cut the battery disconnect off the battery reads over 13 volts? Should it? Does the battery disconnect work or not work with gen running?

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 09-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #8

Sorry was wrong, I also had the vehicle running at the same time. It’s a class c, and started it up to get gen going, battery back to reading 11.6 or so. What charges better, household current or gen? Or both gen and chassis motor running?
Old 09-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #9

Ok sure appreciate you answering right back tonight. One more question. Since I don’t have a propane leak why hasn’t the propane detector alarm been going off all the time? I’ve been charging all day and battery still barely over 11 volts. It just started going off tonight? And it won’t stop, unless I hit reset, and it goes out for a few min then starts again? Besides low batteries, propane leak or defective detector is there anything else it could be?
Old 09-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #10

And just disconnect One negative terminal off one battery?
Old 09-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Sorry was wrong, I also had the vehicle running at the same time. Itís a class c, and started it up to get gen going, battery back to reading 11.6 or so. What charges better, household current or gen? Or both gen and chassis motor running?
I'd go with generator powering converter.

Just an observation. Your batteries are definitely down. You might want to remove them and charge at home. If you don't have a charger some battery stores or auto parts stores will charge and check for free. Be prepared to leave them for 24 hours or more.

My local "Interstate Battery Servicecenter" does this. They'll even check SG unlike many auto parts stores that just use a simple load test.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 09-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #12

That is exactly what I’ll do! Thanks a lot
Old 09-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok sure appreciate you answering right back tonight. One more question. Since I donít have a propane leak why hasnít the propane detector alarm been going off all the time? Iíve been charging all day and battery still barely over 11 volts. It just started going off tonight? And it wonít stop, unless I hit reset, and it goes out for a few min then starts again? Besides low batteries, propane leak or defective detector is there anything else it could be?
Propane detectors can go off due to low voltage or they've aged out. Only good for 5 years or so but many fail far sooner. If bringing battery voltage up doesnt silence, time for new. FWIW mine lasted less than 2 years.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 09-02-2019, 10:45 PM   #14

Reading your thread I hear a couple of problems. Re: the battery, if the voltage is as low as you say, the battery could be toast. I have a battery charger and noticed that when a battery is fully charged, the voltage is over 13 volts and then slowly drops to around 12.8 or so. You should never letter a 12v get below 12.4 or so before recharging. The second problem is the alarm. You did not say whether or not you have a battery disconnect switch. If you do, then turning it off should work. If not, then disconnecting the battery cables should work.
Dashir5ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #15

Yes, I have a disconnect switch but most if not all propane detectors are hard wired to the battery (just found that out today), therefore i disconnected the battery and all is off now. Why in the world would they want to make the propane alarm come on and scare the **** out of the neighborhood just because a battery is low? Makes no sense to me. Gonna try to charge the batteries out of the vehicle for a few days and reinstall. How am I supposed to take care of house batteries when my RV is in storage when not using and there are no electrical receptacles at the storage place?
Old 09-02-2019, 11:40 PM   #16

Quote:
<snop> How am I supposed to take care of house batteries when my RV is in storage when not using and there are no electrical receptacles at the storage place?

Disconnect one of the battery leads - there are a few things that the disconnect switch doesn't turn off - like the LP alarm, the radio display, etc...

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Yes, I have a disconnect switch but most if not all propane detectors are hard wired to the battery (just found that out today), therefore i disconnected the battery and all is off now. Why in the world would they want to make the propane alarm come on and scare the **** out of the neighborhood just because a battery is low? Makes no sense to me. Gonna try to charge the batteries out of the vehicle for a few days and reinstall. How am I supposed to take care of house batteries when my RV is in storage when not using and there are no electrical receptacles at the storage place?
I would expect that most people simply remove them and take them to the house and run battery maintainers on them. I do this on my farm tractors, garden tractors, camper and my stored vehicles. I have about 10 battery maintainers on hand, and I am always watching for a good sale or closeout on more. They do not seem to last more than a few years, so I like to stock new ones on a shelf.

My Jeep Wrangler that is a summer/pleasure vehicle got 7 years out of the factory supplied battery with me pulling it and going to a tender every October to May. I rarely have to replace batteries since they are all pulled and maintained.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #18

If you have been charging your batteries for a long time, the out gassing may have set off the alarm. It is a propane/CO2. I know wife's hairspray will set off the alarm if not well vented. If the alarm was bad, it will signal such. You can silence the alarm by pressing on the button on the face. It will still flash red but the alarm will be silenced for a time.
If you want to silence it while testing, just pull it from the wall, 2 screws and snip one of the wires. No need to cut both. Just be sure to reconnect before camping.
My money is on batteries gone bad. Everything works from your house batteries. Frig, lights, slides, awning, genny start, water pump I would just purchase 2 AGM's and call it a day.
I would recommend Duracell AGM's from Sams store.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries