Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #1

New Onan GQ 5500 won't run error 36

My band new (less than 25 hours) Onan 5500 gas model runs for 1-3 minutes then shuts off. I get the error code 36 and the owners manual has 2 pages of things to check and I don't understand much of what it says to do. It ran fine about 4 or 5 days, several hours each time which is why I am so confused.

Doesn't appear to be much gas in the bowl after it shuts off. The fuel pump clicks when priming and starting, so that seems to work but perhaps not well enough to keep the generator running. Or maybe there's an issue with the fuel line? Same issue with or without main breakers shut off. Possibly installed incorrectly??? One of the youtube videos shows 2 wires that could be installed backward but I am afraid to plug wires in different places without knowing what they do.

Any help would be appreciated.
MichaelOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:21 PM   #2

are you still under warranty? onan has a 2 year warranty. if so take it to dealer or onan.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #3

unfortunately I purchased the Georgetown used, it's a 2015 and the generator was replaced about a year before I bought it. I didn't test the generator since it looked brand new. Should the dealer honor the warranty even if I didn't purchase it?
MichaelOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Site Team

How much fuel is in the fuel tank? Most of the time the generator pickup is at 1/4 to 1/3rd level in the fuel tank, so if you don't have at least 1/2 a tank of fuel I would fill up and try running it again.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
Btm

[QUOTE=MichaelOhio;

Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

My Onan did the same as yours when it had 24 hrs. Ran great, then stop. Ran hours then stop. No pattern to any stopping.

Code 36 was not much help, too many things to check. and none worked.
I wasted 2 days checking so many things.
Low oil and high oil
Main tank fuel level for the Onan fuel outlet
Kinks in the line
Fuel line leaks
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Water in Carb
Electrical connections

I am sure there were other suggestions. After much time and frustrations I took it to an Onan repair shop. In my opinion, if you don't easily find it, take it to a shop. Cost was $220.00.It was sucking air from loose screws.

Runs great now and has 300 plus hours

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #6

I've had this code several times on my 6000QD, but simply fired her right back up and she ran for as long as I let her... seems like it's a 'catch all' code to anything that 'might' be some type of issue, though it also might 'not' be... enjoy : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #7

does your gas have a lot of ethanol in it? If so you may have rotted out fuel lines. Since you say float bowl is near empty. Trailers of that vintage (had a 2007 Rage'n toy hauler) had fuel lines that was not compatible with ethanol, the ethanol eats through the inner core of rubber and it flakes off and plugs hoses, filters and carbs. Try running it from a fresh can of gas with a fuel line stuck in the can.This will eliminate that variable. Check fuel filters too. How long did the generator set? Again this crappy ethanol left in a carburetor will gum it up fast but if it runs for a few minutes then probably not the carb but they're cheap.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #8

Too new for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
does your gas have a lot of ethanol in it? If so you may have rotted out fuel lines. Since you say float bowl is near empty. Trailers of that vintage (had a 2007 Rage'n toy hauler) had fuel lines that was not compatible with ethanol, the ethanol eats through the inner core of rubber and it flakes off and plugs hoses, filters and carbs. Try running it from a fresh can of gas with a fuel line stuck in the can.This will eliminate that variable. Check fuel filters too. How long did the generator set? Again this crappy ethanol left in a carburetor will gum it up fast but if it runs for a few minutes then probably not the carb but they're cheap.
The OP's unit is a 2015. The generator is even newer than that. It is unlikely to have ethanol-vulnerable components.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, onan