Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #1

New Trailer set up for Solar Panels

I recently Purchased a 2021 Della Terra 291 rk It is setup for Solar Panels. I am thinking on at least a 200 watt system. Does anyone one have experience and recommendations as to what I should buy. Thanks in Advance.
Bg2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg2057 View Post
I recently Purchased a 2021 Della Terra 291 rk It is setup for Solar Panels. I am thinking on at least a 200 watt system. Does anyone one have experience and recommendations as to what I should buy. Thanks in Advance.
This is not a direct answer but, before you go poking holes in walls to mount a controller at the designated location, consider whether the gauge of the wires is adequate for the distance and amount of current you want it to carry to the battery. You may conclude it's not. Also, some of us have poked holes in walls only to find the wire isn't where it's expected to be.

Most controllers available for interior surface mount are 30A PWM. The controller recommended by the manufacturer definitely is. You may find that limiting.

Should you conclude the intended system is less than you expected, it's not always hard to reroute the wiring and mount a different controller closer to the battery in an exterior storage compartment. You may wind up with more system for less money and not too much effort.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #3

ill make it easy. got a 100 watt Monocrystaline panel from Renogy solar , Shop around. got 25 ft extra cable ,4 extra ends .Cut off 3 ft. put them in controller and drop them through leg jack hole. made a stand for panel. mount controller to a 1× 6 board. took a dryer cord ,cut off 24". put on battery ends , installed,wires in conrtoller. did controller set up and ,DONE. 30 amp controller allowes for adding another panel , or 2. 100 watts does us fine.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, trailer