Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #1

Newbie battery charging questions

I have a 2014 Rockwood MiniLite 2109s. On the converter's front panel there's a Battery Disconnect push-pull switch.

When connected to shore power, 1) will the battery charge in both connected and disconnected modes? and if so, 2) in which mode will the battery charge faster?
hodag_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodag_guy View Post
I have a 2014 Rockwood MiniLite 2109s. On the converter's front panel there's a Battery Disconnect push-pull switch.

When connected to shore power, 1) will the battery charge in both connected and disconnected modes? and if so, 2) in which mode will the battery charge faster?
Typically disconnected won't charge.

The disconnect is for long storage periods without the ability to plug in and keep the battery charged. Any scenario other than that you want the battery connected.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #3
Always Learning

Your battery powers the 12v system when you’re not plugged into shore power/generator. When you are plugged in, your battery supports your converter (makes 12v from 120v) and that converter acts as your battery charger.

On Most of the Time
You basically want to leave the battery disconnect in the ON/connected position when the camper is in use – either plugged into a campsite, your house, or connected to your truck/tow vehicle. You want it plugged in so that the batteries continue to charge.

Off for Storage
You want to disconnect the battery (put it in the OFF position) when the camper is being put away for storage. This is because there are parasitic draws on the camper that can run a battery flat in a fairly short period of time (couple of days or less with the stock battery from dealers).

Important Note for Trailers
For trailers, your batteries very most important job is to provide power to your brakes in the event your camper catastrophically detaches from the truck/tow vehicle. The emergency breakaway pin gets pulled and it locks the brakes on the camper. Always make sure the battery is connected when towing. It’s possible the wiring for the brakes bypasses the battery disconnect but just connect the battery and there’s no guesswork.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It’s possible the wiring for the brakes bypasses the battery disconnect but just connect the battery and there’s no guesswork.
It is a DOT requirement that the emergency breakaway switch be connected directly to the battery without a switch, or even a fuse.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:01 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
It is a DOT requirement that the emergency breakaway switch be connected directly to the battery without a switch, or even a fuse.
Interesting, that's the first I've heard of that. Is that at the state or federal level? Do you have a link showing the DOT regulation for that?

I'd still not trust it with the number of battery disconnects added by owners who likely are unaware of this requirement.

Tags
battery, charging, newbie, question, questions