Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2021, 06:47 AM   #1

Newbie Electrical Challenges

Great day,
I am the proud owner of a 2021 Wolf Pup 16BHS. We went on our first "Boondocking" adventure to the wilds of Moosehead Lake, Maine. I have the solar package including the 50-watt panel and a single deep cell battery. Luckily, I brought my generator. My question is, HOW can I maximize my system to NOT use the generator as much for my refrigerator and other stuff? Also, how long should my battery maintain a full charge? I am going to do some research, but really would WELCOME any advice or solutions.
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!
Wolfpup8115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:26 AM   #2

need more info to steer you right...

size of the battery in group size... 24, 27 31? Each has more capacity then the previous smaller size... should say right on the battery

Do you have a 12 V only fridge or a propane/120 VAC model?

12 V only models have been popular lately...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #3

there is no 'answer' to your question: everybody 'camps' differently and expect to do things differently within their RV, and the weather and other environmental things have a lot to do with it, too... a small 50w solar panel is not going to do much at all, and a single 12v battery, well, is very little in 'off grid' power... campers aren't really designed to be 'off grid' like you might imagine, without a LOT of expensive other items to add - your generator is already your power source, and your friend, use it as you need it.
If you need air conditioning, you'll need the generator anyway, and it's helping to recharge your battery at the same time.
a 'fridge', depending on the type, and I might assume yours is a dual propane/shore power variety, is going to use power as it needs to, depending on what you have inside the fridge, how often you open it's door, etc.

There is no 'single' answer to camping.
MrPalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpup8115 View Post
Great day,

I am the proud owner of a 2021 Wolf Pup 16BHS. We went on our first "Boondocking" adventure to the wilds of Moosehead Lake, Maine. I have the solar package including the 50-watt panel and a single deep cell battery. Luckily, I brought my generator. My question is, HOW can I maximize my system to NOT use the generator as much for my refrigerator and other stuff? Also, how long should my battery maintain a full charge? I am going to do some research, but really would WELCOME any advice or solutions.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!
Since you probably have a 12v fridge and the typical dealer-installed cheap 12v dual-purpose marine battery and a useless 50w solar panel, I would guess it lasting one night.
If you don't want to use the generator, you'll need a minimum of two 6v golf cart batteries and 200w of solar.
But you'll still need a generator(if it's capable)to run the a/c.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #5

Wolfpup8115,

It would serve you better to approach this from a "Solar Calculation" perspective, there are a lot of different discussions on here to help determine the usage and battery requirements. That way you can figure out what power you would need to have to support your unit over what amount of time you want to run. once you understand the calculations you can add Solar Panels or batteries, ect, to get you to a self supportable level based on your needs.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPalazzo View Post
there is no 'answer' to your question: everybody 'camps' differently and expect to do things differently within their RV, and the weather and other environmental things have a lot to do with it, too... a small 50w solar panel is not going to do much at all, and a single 12v battery, well, is very little in 'off grid' power... campers aren't really designed to be 'off grid' like you might imagine, without a LOT of expensive other items to add - your generator is already your power source, and your friend, use it as you need it.
If you need air conditioning, you'll need the generator anyway, and it's helping to recharge your battery at the same time.
a 'fridge', depending on the type, and I might assume yours is a dual propane/shore power variety, is going to use power as it needs to, depending on what you have inside the fridge, how often you open it's door, etc.

There is no 'single' answer to camping.
I don't know where she is camping near Moosehead, but I can almost guaranty people who use generators, if allowed, are limited in their use. Think about it, this isn't Fed Public Lands. These sites are limited and for the most part close together. The last thing people who use these wilderness sites want is to listen to other peoples generators. Generators kill the experience of Maine wilderness camping.

IMO, the OP has to invest in some new equipment with at least 200 AH of usable batteries and at least 400 watts of solar panels. Camp more like they are in a tent with solid walls. Utilize propane as much as possible.
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Wolfpup8115...

considering your fridge is 120 VAC... without a source of AC current your battery will have to supply quite a bit of current to an INVERTER ( DC to AC converter) to operate the fridge. I am not sure that your trailer is even equipped with an inverter???

This is probably the least efficient way of powering a fridge there is for a camper... doing the 12 VDC to 120 VAC conversion as there are inherent power losses along the way.

A large single Group 31 lead-acid battery will have a hard time keeping the fridge going for 24 hours. Even if you have enough battery to keep it going for two days, it will take two days to re-charge the battery.

You will need to be running the generator probably for 6-8 hours per day to re-charge any battery combination you put there. Solar would be another option and probably in the 400 watt range with good sun.

I would load up the fridge with frozen gallon water jugs and keep it full with minimal opening. Keeping a lot cold is actually easier then just a little food in the fridge.

I suggest, if you can to driveway camp and try out the fridge while at home before actually going off-grid and aquire some of your own data.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Wolfpup8115...
I suggest, if you can to driveway camp and try out the fridge while at home before actually going off-grid and aquire some of your own data.
X2. A 7+ day cooler inside the trailer will help. We use the cooler for drinks to keep the refrigerator door closed as much as possible.

Tags
electric, electrical, newbie