Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2021, 06:22 AM   #1

Newbie generator grounding question

I have an older Storm Cat (harbor freight) 700 watt generator that I inherited from my father. I want to experiment with it to recharge my battery.

the gen has a grounding lug which is meant to be attached to a driven rod. I have read about the need with some generators for a ground/neutral bond rather than a driven rod. is that necessary? if so I assume I can take a 3-prong plug and connect the G and N terminals with #10 wire.

there is only a single 120v outlet on the gen. if I need the G/N plug, then can I use a triple tap adapter so I can plug in the G/N?

thanks

Ken
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The grounding plug is typically only needed if you are using a EMS type electrical protector with your rig. The ground lug and grounding rod is not needed. Just fire it up and plug in your shore power cord with whatever adapter necessary. (30a to 15/20a)

Just be cautious, 700w is just about the least amount a R/V converter can utilize to work. (depending on model) so make sure nothing else electrical is on in the R/V. I have a 800w Honda that I do the very thing you are wanting to do so it can work if all you want to do is charge the battery. You'll have little/no wattage left for anything else.

One last note... many of those older, low wattage, Harbor Freight generators were 2 cycle and pretty loud. It may not meet campground noise requirements but if you are boondocking on private land or away from someone it might be OK.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #3

thanks. you are right--it's old, 2-cycle, and loud. I'm just gathering data and I know it's too loud to take to a campground.

Ken
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie999 View Post
I have an older Storm Cat (harbor freight) 700 watt generator that I inherited from my father. I want to experiment with it to recharge my battery.
thanks

Ken

700w = 5.8 amps @ 120v but that is peak raiting, its rated at 600w continues which is 5 amps @ 120v. You could use a 18 gauge cable with that one.
you don't need 10g until 30a @ 120v loads.

But if your battery is dead, your internal battery charger will draw more than 5.8 amps so you might not have the results expected.

I did see a guy buy one to run an electric smoker at a motorcycle camping event, by the time his food was done he did not have many friends left .
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #5

The grounding rod and the bonding of ground an neutral are seperate issues. The ground rod is a safety issue in case some voltage gets loose or you get a lightning strike. Not really necessary but doesn't hurt to do it.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The grounding rod and the bonding of ground an neutral are seperate issues. The ground rod is a safety issue in case some voltage gets loose or you get a lightning strike. Not really necessary but doesn't hurt to do it.
I recently read in a generator mfr's manual that the ground lug is placed on small portable generators for when they are used on construction sites in order to satisfy OSHA requirements.

I have yet to see a camper drive a ground rod into the ground for his portable generator much less their RV with built in generator.

Would be impissible in many of the campgrounds I stay in with not just hard packed dirt, large cobblestones, even solid rock just under the surface (old quarries etc).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #7

I always utilize a grounding rod with a generator. I have also been called out several times by others that state it is unnecessary. I will say that if you do not establish a ground YOU can become the ground. As others have said the generator you have referenced is undersized for any practical use other than battery charging with no load.
Be safe

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post
I always utilize a grounding rod with a generator. I have also been called out several times by others that state it is unnecessary. I will say that if you do not establish a ground YOU can become the ground. As others have said the generator you have referenced is undersized for any practical use other than battery charging with no load.

Be safe
If you enjoy the work go for it.

I'd like to point out that when you plug your RV into a portable generator it's far different than a grid power supply. Grid supply systems CAN use an Earth Return system where the high voltage supplying the transformer feeding your house is only a single wire. (Usually in rural areas) The circuit is completed by the "earth" through grounding near transformer and back to grounding point at generation. With this system, yes, you can become the ground.

Portable generators do not use the earth return system and should a short/fault occur there is no path to the earth you are standing on.

Somewhat the same principal that allows "double insulated" electric powered tools to no longer require the "third prong" on their plugs.

FWIW, I'd worry more about CO poisoning from the portable generators that are tucked under slides or 5-er overhangs to protect from rain.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:39 PM   #9

As I said, my view of safety is not shared by most. My 25+ years in the fire department has led me to always follow the safest path. BTW I also have a lightning rod system on my home, almost nobody invests in that either.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
As I said, view of safety is not shared by all most. My 25+ years in the fire department has led me to always follow the safest path.
Well, there is safety, and then there is the perception of safety. I'm always amazed at the lengths folks will go for a perceived outcome. But like I always say, "do whatever makes you feel better".
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Be safe

Don't any of the campground people get a mad at you when you try to drive an 8' rod into the ground in your campsite?
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Don't any of the campground people get a mad at you when you try to drive an 8' rod into the ground in your campsite?
And then leave it because it's impossible to pull out?[emoji848]

Tags
generator, newbie, question