Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #1

Nice Battery Tray for LiFePo batteries inside

Having recently upgraded to Battleborn batteries, moving them into a small compartment in my MicroLite, I wasn't really satisfied with my mounting method. No, they weren't really going to move but it just didn't look good and the hold-downs were in the way.

It was bugging me as the job just didn't really look finished. Went searching on Amazon for a two battery tray that holds the batteries side/side without being an actual battery box.

Ran across this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered it and installed it yesterday. The tray JUST FITS two Battleborn 100 ah batteries. with both batteries in the tray there's not enough room to fit a business card between tray edge and battery side. Tray flexes just enough to slide them in.

Secured to the trailer floor with 8 #10 pan head wood screws and batteries are held down with a stout nylon strap with snap buckle rather than the traditional battery strap friction buckle.

Batteries are secure enough they will remain in position even if trailer was sitting upside down.

Now I'm happy. Install looks a lot cleaner than the punched angle/J-hook method I cobbled up at first.

Note: regular group 27 batteries (Maint Free, AGM,s, etc) are a fraction smaller than the Battleborns and will slip into the tray a little easier but will still be as secure. Strap is one-piece and passes under the tray which is well secured.

Just passing this on for any who are looking for ideas.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

I see a lot of people that rely on the weight of the battery to keep them in place and they may have 12 batteries with this method. Not smart!

I welded up a custom holder for my BattleBorns.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Always Learning

Hmm. Y'all have me thinking about this now. I have 4 batteries snugged in with angle aluminum but nothing holding them down in their positions.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Hmm. Y'all have me thinking about this now. I have 4 batteries snugged in with angle aluminum but nothing holding them down in their positions.
You could add some pieces very easily to make a hold down.

This is mine:

I could have bought something that works but I love to weld! Makes it exactly the way I want it to work too.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Loosen fasteners that hold the aluminum angles down and slip some straps with quick release buckle underneath. If someone can lift each battery while you feed strap under you won't have to do anything other than maybe use a coat hanger to pull the strap through. When in place and adjusted just tighten fasteners back down. If worried about where straps break over the edges of the angle, just cut a piece of bicycle inner tube or use a piece of Gorilla Tape to soften the edge where the strap passes under.

Here's a set of 4 straps like came with my "tray" for $7.87.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ozark-Trail...s%2C188&sr=8-3

It kept bothering me that it might take only one good bump to jog my first setup loose and then I had a couple of 12" long pieces of metal floating around in my battery compartment. Sure, the Battleborn's are "short proof" but still a PITA

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery