Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

No 12V

Okay. I just picked up my Rockwood 2703ws the day before yesterday. Got it home some 250 miles and all went well. Plugged in the power cord to the house. Everything works good. This morning, went out to put two slides in and...No 12V system. When I check the battery charge on the panel, it will show up for a brief second and then nothing. The electric tongue jack works fine but nothing else. When the 110 is hooked up, the batteries check fully charged. All the fuses I can see are good. I'm wondering if the converter is not switching over and need to know how to check it out.

Help would be appreciated.
wyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoman View Post
Okay. I just picked up my Rockwood 2703ws the day before yesterday. Got it home some 250 miles and all went well. Plugged in the power cord to the house. Everything works good. This morning, went out to put two slides in and...No 12V system. When I check the battery charge on the panel, it will show up for a brief second and then nothing. The electric tongue jack works fine but nothing else. When the 110 is hooked up, the batteries check fully charged. All the fuses I can see are good. I'm wondering if the converter is not switching over and need to know how to check it out.

Help would be appreciated.
Sounds like possibility the resetable curcuit breaker by your battery.
Follow your positive battery cable it should lead to one of these.
It may or may not be resetable.

Btw this would be a great time to purchase a digital volt ohm meter for your camper.

Name:   mM-R9PMEIf4ylCyRCIcGt2g.jpeg
Views: 357
Size:  10.9 KB

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

And furthermore your converter doesn't "switch" its either on or off depending on if you have shore power.

Did you check all 12 v fuses in the distribution center ?

Name:   19-0586-color.jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  30.0 KB
Old 06-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

Thanks. I'll go see if I can find a breaker by the battery and all the fuses I have in the converter are 15s, 1-7.5 and 2-40s.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Site Team

The resettable breaker types like Turbo pointed out are usually bolted to the frame or such. Just follow the wires from your battery along your frame.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Found It

Okay. I found the the breaker you talked about, Turbo and it's not resetable that I can see. There are like, three wires running into and out of it. There are three 30A fuses right close to it and they are all okay. So if the guys that put the batteries on shorted the posts, then the breaker you're talking about has to be replaced?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Be a good time to have a volt meter to check voltage !
Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

No Luck

I think the breaker I found is a resettable. It's a 40A with a little black button on the end. I tried that and no luck. Pulled it and took it to an RV place(25 miles away) and was going to order another but the guy checked it and said it was good. I bought a volt/omn meter anyway, just got home and checked it myself and it's okay. I don't know where to go from here. I hate to pull the rig 25 miles to a dealer if it's a simple electrical problem but...Still looking for advice.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The jack works cause its direct power from battery.
Pull the distribution panel cover.
"2 screws" and see if you have any 12v power anywhere.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

OK

Thanks for the help, Tubo. That's what I just did. I pulled the cover off the distribution panel and as soon as I eat a BiG MAN's TV Dinner, I'll be out with the new volt/ohm meter.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks for the help, Tubo. That's what I just did. I pulled the cover off the distribution panel and as soon as I eat a BiG MAN's TV Dinner, I'll be out with the new volt/ohm meter.
Lol I've yet to be called tubo lol
Turds turns and now tubo !
All is well!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #12

Well...I disconnected the battery cables and checked the terminals in the distribution center. It's putting out the 13.6 volts. I then reconnected the batteries and checked it to and through the breaker on the frame and the three fuses coming out of it. I don't know where to go from here.

Where's the next place to go?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What the heck are we missing here.......
Old 06-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do you have an electrical disconnect?
Under fridge in some cases a push pull lever ?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #15

Just to recap, and please verify these things:
If you plug into shore power, everything works fine.

If you aren't on shore power, only the directly-connected jack works.

If those things are true, Turbs has done a great job of checking everything and the only thing remaining (short of some hidden wire coming disconnected) is that you have a battery disconnect switch that they turned off at the dealer before you left and you don't know were it is to turn it back on.

I think I'll post over in the Rockwood area and see if someone will bite.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #16

Bypass

I'm going to go bypass the disconnect switch. According to the RV people, there's nothing between it and the battery.

Thanks everyone and stand by! Please!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I'm going to go bypass the disconnect switch. According to the RV people, there's nothing between it and the battery.

Thanks everyone and stand by! Please!
On pins and needles !
Old 06-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #18

So you know where the bat-disconnect switch is. Someone on here complained the other day that they thought the switch should be "in" for ON instead of "out" for ON. You did try it in both positions didn't you?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #19

Where are you measuring voltages to? Perhaps the ground is open from Bat to frame. If you've been measuring from Bat Neg terminal all this time we'd have missed that.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #20

I did try it in both positions by know it's supposed to be in to connect but on the chance that it might be a faulty switch, I just took it off and connected the two wires. Still nothing. I'll mention again that when I check the battery on the panel with only 12v, the bottom few lights will light up a fraction of a second then it's all dead again. I don't know if that's a result of having the 110AC on earlier but thought I'd mention it.

I reply to the last post by Barry: I measured the voltage from a postive to a screw on a metal junction box mounted on the frame. In the distribution box, I measured from negative to postive terminals.