Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
So

That non functioning half could also be the half that has your converter powered. Since your converter wasn't providing any DC power, you actually were just running this stuff off your battery up until it depleted...thus the alarm. This link explains your converter.

[URL]https://www.forestriverforu[/IMG]
I concur. ADD thst One leg or the other was not getting current. One of the two you plugged in to was dead,. Probably a gfi on the "20" plug. Or your adapter is bad.

One of my buddies had the same issue and WITH A VOLT METER we found out that his SUPPOSED TWO SOURCE Y CORD, was defective.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Why are you connecting a 50 amp RV to a 30 amp outlet....if a 50 amp outlet is available? Is it the extra cost charged by the campground for the 50 amp outlet?
I reserved a 30A site. Didn’t need a 50A site. Yes there was a price difference. But when we got there, both are available at each site and you are to connect to the one you pay for.
timurray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Walmart has them. You might also check the campground some have them to loan out.
Im betting that next time a 50 amp is available the OP will opt for the additional expense of plugging into the 50 amp service.

The additional cost was cheap compared to the aggravation he suffered.

He tried the "cheap charlie" solution with that adapter and it bit him in the butt.

There is an upside for the OP though. He has now learned how that Y adapter is wired so if he tries using it in the future he knows what to check to insure he has power to both sides of his load center.

We happen to have both adapters to 30 Amp, one with the 20 amp pigtail and one without but they are ONLY for use when no 50 amp is available.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Im betting that next time a 50 amp is available the OP will opt for the additional expense of plugging into the 50 amp service.

The additional cost was cheap compared to the aggravation he suffered.

He tried the "cheap charlie" solution with that adapter and it bit him in the butt.

There is an upside for the OP though. He has now learned how that Y adapter is wired so if he tries using it in the future he knows what to check to insure he has power to both sides of his load center.

We happen to have both adapters to 30 Amp, one with the 20 amp pigtail and one without but they are ONLY for use when no 50 amp is available.
Here’s the thing Doug. In life, I pay for what I need, not for what is available that I don’t need. If I’m going to a place that has mild weather and I don’t need A/Cs running, I’ll get 30A. Rarely is that the case when we travel but it happened this time.

I look at it more as aggravation = lesson learned. I now know what this cable is meant for. I’m at another 30A park today, Williams KOA @ Grand Canyon. They don’t have the ground fault on the 20A so I am able to use this cable as it was intended and 50A (30A + 20A) is more than enough. I’m going to boondock in my daughter’s driveway for 2 nights next week and I’ll use this same cable’s 20A side to keep my converter and a few things running. And...I have the other 30A to 50A cable and will use it when I need it. So, like you, I have both cables. I think the “suffering” as you put it was worth the lesson learned.

Happy camping.

Tim
timurray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power