Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #1

NO DC Power.

I just purchased a new 2021 FR Wildwood. 34 feet.
We have had this odd DC issue.
Works fine on shore power.

I would get get 0 power to the trailer. No lights, slides etc.

Last Friday when I went to pick it up from storage it was dead. No light, no power even when connected to the tow vehicle The battery was charged. Reading over 13 volts.. I also for good measure brought a backup battery and tried it. Nada.
I bypassed the kill switch to check. Still dead.
Checked the inline fuse - Still dead
Checked the connection. - nothing wrong.
Then I checked every fuse in the trailer. This is a challenge since I squeezed through a door with the slideout in. - Nothing.

Then after checking all fuses it worked. Made me think it is a loose fuse right?

We go camping, tow to a site. Use the DC power to put down the jacks and slide out. All good.
Then I go to leave.
NO DC power again.
The battery is fine at 13v.

I get it towed to the dealership who checks everything and says it works they can't find anything wrong. It didn't work when the tow truck left.

THis is the 3 rd time this exact scenario happens. Any ideas?

Thanks
crobinson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #2

Battery voltage is 0 to 12.6. A reading of 13 is a bad voltmeter or a dead battery being charged maybe.

You need to check the battery voltage.

The shore power and solar needs to be off 2-3 hours or you are reading charger residual charge. It might take 24 hours to recharge the battery. Full is 12.6. 12 volts is the minimum. Below that damages the battery.

Was the battery disconnect used while in storage? They will discharge in a week if you forget.

If all is ok then I would be carefully checking wire connections in the battery area and fuse panel. Loose wires will do this.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #3

Check the reverse polarity fuses (prolly 2. 40 amp fuses) on the fuse panel.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Battery voltage is 0 to 12.6. A reading of 13 is a bad voltmeter or a dead battery being charged maybe.

You need to check the battery voltage.

The shore power and solar needs to be off 2-3 hours or you are reading charger residual charge. It might take 24 hours to recharge the battery. Full is 12.6. 12 volts is the minimum. Below that damages the battery.

Was the battery disconnect used while in storage? They will discharge in a week if you forget.

If all is ok then I would be carefully checking wire connections in the battery area and fuse panel. Loose wires will do this.
Thank you for the response. I will double-check the VM meeter.
The battery disconnect was turned on while in storage.
I am thinking it is a loose wire somewhere.

Chad
crobinson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobinson99 View Post
I just purchased a new 2021 FR Wildwood. 34 feet.
We have had this odd DC issue.
Works fine on shore power.

I would get get 0 power to the trailer. No lights, slides etc.

Last Friday when I went to pick it up from storage it was dead. No light, no power even when connected to the tow vehicle The battery was charged. Reading over 13 volts.. I also for good measure brought a backup battery and tried it. Nada.
I bypassed the kill switch to check. Still dead.
Checked the inline fuse - Still dead
Checked the connection. - nothing wrong.
Then I checked every fuse in the trailer. This is a challenge since I squeezed through a door with the slideout in. - Nothing.

Then after checking all fuses it worked. Made me think it is a loose fuse right?

We go camping, tow to a site. Use the DC power to put down the jacks and slide out. All good.
Then I go to leave.
NO DC power again.
The battery is fine at 13v.

I get it towed to the dealership who checks everything and says it works they can't find anything wrong. It didn't work when the tow truck left.

THis is the 3 rd time this exact scenario happens. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sounds like something is loose, either in or near the fuse box, which is why when you checked the fuses, things worked again.

Tags
power