Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #1

No ignition signal to BCC

2016 Sunseeker 2860ds chevy chassis. Coach battery won't charge from chassis when running. Awning works when running. Solenoid activates and coach batteries charge when emergency starter switch is pressed with engine running. Multi Meter shows 0 volts to J12 (orange wire) on BIM when running. Orange wire is connected to a red wire not far from the BCC. Where does the red wire connect to the ignition? Is there a fuse? Not sure it ever worked. Have a 3 week trip across the country starting on 9/25. Be nice not to have to run the generator in Walmart parking lots, or running down the road.
aldermanjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

Our Sunseeker is on a 2010 Ford E450 chassis so I can't directly answer your question. In addition to having a different chassis, our older one has a different brand battery controller from yours, but the function is the same.

However, the isolation relay on our BCC would work sometimes (ALWAYS when I did the pre-trip checkout) and sometimes it wouldn't work. I didn't know if the Battery Isolation Relay Delay (aka, BIRD - same as your BIM) that controls the relay was the problem or if it was the relay itself. As a stopgap during a trip I ran a wire to the relay and energized it manually from one of the 12 volt power outlets ("Cigarette lighter" to us old farts). That worked for a while but eventually the relay quit completely and I replaced it. It now works correctly automatically. If you can't find out how your Chevy ignition feeds your controller, consider putting in a manual feed like I did. At least you can use it on your trip.

When I did the modification during the trip, I removed the wire from the BIRD to the relay in case back feeding the BIRD would cause a problem. The booster switch on the seat wouldn't work with it disconnected, but I knew it and could have switched it back if I needed to.

On our Ford chassis, the chassis ignition is fed to the battery controller through a relay and fuse. In the owner's guide the 10 amp fuse for the circuit that controls the relay is identified as "Stripped chassis and modified vehicle run/start relay coil". The 40 amp fuse that feeds the relay (and therefore the current going to the coach) is similarly labeled "Modified vehicle and stripped chassis run/start". The relay itself is also labeled "Modified vehicle and stripped chassis run/start". Hopefully this can guide you to find the similar relay and fuses in your Chevy owner's guide or fuse panel label if no one comes forth with the correct details.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote