Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #1

Question No inverter... Install Ideas?

Bought an EPro E19FBS and cant run the 110v wall outlets without shore power because (despite all the upgrades) it didnt come with an INVERTER even though the solar controller has a button to turn one on and off.

Thinking of installing a Pure Sine Wave Inverter to use ALL the wall outlets (given only a few products at a time as to not blow up the inverter or the 2 batteries).

1) Is it possible?

2) If yes - What size 2000 or 3000?

3) Asking because I dont want to buy a generator (yet)

4) How do I install it?

5) Can anybody find anything on this model being so new?

Any product knowledge, Installing knowledge, Experience knowledge, everything is welcome.

Post soon: Batteries, some wiring, control panel
NicoPez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Lots of threads on this subject. Before you do anything, decide what you want to run. Find the AC current requirements of each item. You can use ten times that current as the current requirement from the batteries to run the inverter. Using much more than an hour or so of tv it going to require a way to charge batteries . As an example if running nothing else, you can run a 1000W microwave for about an hour on one group 24 battery before it needed charging. If you connect the outlets in the RV you will need a transfer switch so that they are disconnected from the inverted when on shore power. Might try a simple 300W inverter to run TV or a small appliance to try it out. The Library has some typical power requirements for 120VAC RV appliances.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

Thanks! I only post this as to not scroll through the hundreds of threads already. Got through about 6 pages and didnt find what I was looking for.

Let see... I guess the only things I would have to run would be the refridge and micro but the Fridge works off propane too. I guess the Mrs. would need a straightener, hair dryer, and if Im talking kids they would need a playstation for a few hours and Ive tested that one already as far as power consumption goes. (yes i know camping = no real need for playstation) but you know how kids are in this day and age. need phones and social media plus gaming.

I would have to turn on and off the inverter when not in use as from some Youtubers have said. I plan on upgrading the panels and add another battery but decided to get other's opinions on this matter.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Please do some research ( windsun.com) as I think you are being very optimistic about what you can run. You would need more than 2 good deep cycle batteries ( not the multi purpose ones that come with the rv). I also don't think you will have sufficient roof space for panels to recharge the needed setup.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #5
Always Learning

You’re looking at a LOT of amp hour needs out of the battery. Especially bear in mind that with lead acid batteries, you only get 50% use as they don’t do well with deep discharges. AGMs will let you use 60%. Lithiums are costly but can allow up to 100% use.

For my setup, I started with 4x100amp hour lithium drop-ins, an inverter, 2x2000W generators, but no solar. I hooked a 1000W inverter up to the batteries. I then take the output from the inverter and backfeed the camper (extension cord to adapter and plug into the shore power). Doing this, I manage what breakers are on to allow different outlets to work (and more importantly, to make sure my converter/charger is OFF).

This worked “well”, but we would use a LOT of power in 24 hours. We would use 250-300 amp hours per day with 6+ hours of generator run time to recharge at 40-50 amps pushed back in.

The 1000W inverter worked well. We got about 8amps from it- we could run almost anything we wanted EXCEPT for the microwave, Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker), and air conditioner. Remarkably, we COULD run the toaster and curling iron (obviously not at the same time).
Old 04-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Bob, if you're running without shore power, you'll want to minimize what you're trying to run. Anything that can run on propane (fridge, water heater, etc...) should be. Lights, radio and exhaust fans will run directly on 12v, anything else, you want to really evaluate whether or not you really want to try running it.

I'd avoid running the microwave, it's gonna be a power hog.
I'd avoid running things like playstation. If the kids really need game time, have them use an iPad or Samsung Tab or something like that. Much less power demand to recharge one of them overnight than it is to run a playstation.

And then what may be your hardest one of all:

Convince the DW to only use the straightener, curling iron, or hair dryer in the bathhouse, not in the trailer.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoPez View Post
Bought an EPro E19FBS and cant run the 110v wall outlets without shore power because (despite all the upgrades) it didnt come with an INVERTER even though the solar controller has a button to turn one on and off.

Thinking of installing a Pure Sine Wave Inverter to use ALL the wall outlets (given only a few products at a time as to not blow up the inverter or the 2 batteries).

1) Is it possible?

2) If yes - What size 2000 or 3000?

3) Asking because I dont want to buy a generator (yet)

4) How do I install it?

5) Can anybody find anything on this model being so new?

Any product knowledge, Installing knowledge, Experience knowledge, everything is welcome.

Post soon: Batteries, some wiring, control panel

1. Yes, it’s possible. You won’t “blow up” the inverter but you CAN overload it. It just shuts itself down until you reset it.

You’re absolutely right to worry about the batteries. I absolutely recommend that you install a proper battery monitor like the Victron BMV-712 since it has built-in Bluetooth connectivity.

Throwing a second battery in will give you a nominal increase in power. You really should start from scratch with batteries and size the bank to your intended usage. You might find that you’ll scale back on use when you see what it’ll take. Think about it in terms of money AND weight; batteries, solar, and big inverters add up to many pounds. Your camper only has so much cargo carrying capacity.

2. They are big inverters. We were mostly successful with a 1000W pure sign wave inverter. The only thing we couldn’t run that I hoped to be able to was the 800W microwave. A 2000W should be sufficient to run most anything you want.

3. Your solar should be sized to your batteries. Your batteries should be sized to your planned usage. Generators can be avoided, but it takes proper planning and research.

4. Drill, screw drivers, and wrenches. Fortunately, no hammers needed. For me, the first thing to do once I had a handle on planned usage was to diagram the system. I kept refining it until I knew what all pieces I had and where I wanted fuses/circuit breakers to protect the system and/or isolate pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	37028550501_ba75212c75_o.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	167327
Old 04-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Thanks gang! I appreciate all the input. I am trying to get a grasp on everything as much as possible so your concerns and experiences are welcomed.

What is everyones thoughts on possible tiny house approach? Fully off-grid.

A friend wants to borrow the trailer for off-grid supportable blogging trip. Possibilties???

(I know this will rustle some feathers but lets open that can of worms )
Old 04-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
Always Learning

I think it comes down to the amount of roof space you have for solar panels and cargo carrying capacity you have for batteries.

I know a few folks who haven’t started their generators in quite a while and boondock extensively.

Just, IMO- don’t plan on running the A/C at all or for long. If it’s a requirement, lithium is all but required and you’ll use up a LOT of battery capacity running it. So much so that you likely won’t be able to recover it with solar on the roof.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Team

I did not see this information listed anywhere so I need to ask. What is currently installed for solar panels and controller? You mention upgrading panels.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 04-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoPez View Post
What is everyones thoughts on possible tiny house approach? Fully off-grid.

A friend wants to borrow the trailer for off-grid supportable blogging trip. Possibilties???
To be honest, I have no idea what you're really asking here.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #12

You need to do some research and educate yourself on these systems to determine what you hope to achieve.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:34 AM   #13

NicoPez, here's a link to a unique, interesting, and very informative Blog about off grid power. The blogger is a snarky guy who's not selling any products, lays out a method for figuring out your power needs, and shares many lessons learned (both good and bad). There's more info than you may need/want, so just concentrate on the areas your interested in. I learned a lot when planning out the solar power/charging system I just installed on my new rig and now am thrilled with the capabilities of the solar power battery charging system I use for boondocking. I'm still logging my actual DC power usage and actual AC power "needs" (use of the generator) to figure out what size of inverter will be best for my camping life style.

Hope you enjoy his snarky comments and get some great ideas for figuring out options for your power system . Here's the link: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
JTseed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter