Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2022, 07:06 AM   #1

No lights in slide

Hello, I’ll take this opportunity to introduce myself and ask a question at the same time. My wife and I just purchased our first camper, a new-to-us 2013 Wildwood 30kqbss. Since getting it home and really crawling all over it, we are discovering a few things that need attention.
First of all, I can’t get either light fixture in the slide to come on. There is one above the couch and one above the dinette. Both have switches on the fixture itself but they have no affect.
So, far I have changed all bulbs, removed and visually inspected all fuses, and tried the main switch by the entry door in all configurations. Still nothing. I’m afraid that a wire supplying power to these two lights has been compromised somewhere along the line.
Any tips, advice, idea’s would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86F6FBE1-AB72-47EE-81D6-B7A088A4592E.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	670.2 KB
ID:	272805   Click image for larger version

Name:	1F1C36B1-2973-4D47-855D-768E2F029247.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	272806  
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to FRF!!
Visually inspecting fuses is not always a good idea.
Some fuses blow in a big way and are obviously burned out.
Others can be bad and "look good".
A cheap volt meter is a good investment.
Volt meters also have ohms and usually some sort of continuity checker.
Touch the leads together and it will beep. Touch a good fuse on both ends
and it will beep. No beep- bad fuse.

Take a look under the slide. Most trailers have some sort of plastic flexible conduit under there with the slide light wires inside. It's possible it got damaged or pulled loose.

Good luck and good hunting for your issue!
Happy Trails too!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:25 AM   #3

Got a multimeter VOM? You're gonna need one. Most of your wiring is under the slide. At that age, I'd start by renewing any ground connections to the chassis since this is all DC for the lights. Electricity 101.. . start at one end of a circuit or the other . Probe the fixture first. Run a remote ground wire connected to a good ground that way you'll know if it's an issue with the ground side or hot + side. If no + then work from the battery side
or get lucky seeing the problem

Sent from my SM-G781V using Forest River Forums mobile app
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:26 AM   #4

Thanks! I’ll be crawling under the slide later today to see if I can find any obvious damage.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:30 AM   #5

buy a good multi meter and watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to find faults with it

well worth the effort ....

in the mean time while you are learning ...

get a bulb that you KNOW works from another light fixture put it into the slide

my slide's light fixture, has a separate switch from all the other lights...

must be turned on manually as needed..... find switch for that light.
Aussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Got a multimeter VOM? You're gonna need one. Most of your wiring is under the slide. At that age, I'd start by renewing any ground connections to the chassis since this is all DC for the lights. Electricity 101.. . start at one end of a circuit or the other . Probe the fixture first. Run a remote ground wire connected to a good ground that way you'll know if it's an issue with the ground side or hot + side. If no + then work from the battery side
or get lucky seeing the problem

Sent from my SM-G781V using Forest River Forums mobile app
I do have a couple multi meters and I do have some experience with automotive wiring. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can locate some obvious damage from underneath, but if not I’ll be tracing wires as best as I can.
The fact that neither light is working in the slide makes me lean towards a broken/disconnected wire somewhere in the line. Been raining here for 2 days now so crawling around on the ground is going to be awesome!
Old 05-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #7

my slide's light fixture, has a separate switch from all the other lights...

must be turned on manually as needed..... find switch for that light.[/QUOTE]

I thought this might be the case too, but I have searched every inch for another switch that would control the slide lights but don’t see one. The main light switch (just to the left of the entry door, above kitchen counter) only seems to operate a single overhead light. That seems odd to me. I wonder if that switch is supposed to operate the slide lights also, but I’ve tried turning on/off switch on the fixture while the main switch is on with no results.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:50 AM   #8

I'd run a temporary piece of wire from the negative on your battery to the slide area. Then use it connected to the black lead on your meter to verify voltage at the light. If you have 12 volts with the switches on, it is a ground issue.
If you have no volts, then it is the power side of it. That could be a bad fuse, switch or wire.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
I'd run a temporary piece of wire from the negative on your battery to the slide area. Then use it connected to the black lead on your meter to verify voltage at the light. If you have 12 volts with the switches on, it is a ground issue.
If you have no volts, then it is the power side of it. That could be a bad fuse, switch or wire.
There is no battery currently hooked up yet. Have to buy one. Running on 15 amp shore power. Does that make a difference? All the other lights work fine.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:53 AM   #10

Ok, so I crawled around under the trailer and found two disconnected ground wires. One was a wire that was grounding the slide frame to the trailer frame. Thought that was gonna cure the light problem-no dice. Still no lights. I found were the wires come down through the floor of the trailer and go to the corner of the slide so I probed them with my test light connected to a good ground and it was showing no juice whatsoever.
So, the power is not even getting to the slide. I tested the fixtures by connecting a motorcycle battery with alligator clips and the light comes on.
I’m starting to think that the problem is inside of the wall or ceiling.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
There is no battery currently hooked up yet.
Just in case you did, towing the trailer without a battery installed, is against the law. You have to have the battery to power the breakaway switch if the trailer detaches from the tow vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:41 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Ok, so I crawled around under the trailer and found two disconnected ground wires. One was a wire that was grounding the slide frame to the trailer frame. Thought that was gonna cure the light problem-no dice. Still no lights. I found were the wires come down through the floor of the trailer and go to the corner of the slide so I probed them with my test light connected to a good ground and it was showing no juice whatsoever.
So, the power is not even getting to the slide. I tested the fixtures by connecting a motorcycle battery with alligator clips and the light comes on.
I’m starting to think that the problem is inside of the wall or ceiling.
If you have a meter, use it to check for voltage rather than your test light. Reason being, many R/V manufacturers use BLACK wires as 12v feeds (along with a myriad of other color combinations) so mistakenly probing an incorrect wire with a test light may tell you nothing.

Same for checking fuses, as has already been mentioned. No need to "look at" or needlessly replace parts when a meter will tell you all you need to know in a few minutes.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:42 PM   #13

Quote:
There is no battery currently hooked up yet. Have to buy one. Running on 15 amp shore power. Does that make a difference? All the other lights work fine.
Then just take the wire I mentioned and connect it to the negative of your convertor.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Then just take the wire I mentioned and connect it to the negative of your convertor.
So just connect a wire straight from negative post on converter to negative wire on light fixture? Sounds doable.
There are only two wires under the slide that come down out of the floor and run the the outermost wall of the slide where they go up into the floor of the slide. A white and white with blue tracer. There is no power in either wire where they come down out of the floor. The wires coming into the light fixtures in the slide are white and white with red tracer. So somewhere there is a junction or splice in the wall. I’m going to pick up a cable tracer from harbor freight tomorrow after work. Maybe it will tell me where the break is.
https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html
Old 05-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #15

Quote:
So just connect a wire straight from negative post on converter to negative wire on light fixture? Sounds doable.
There are only two wires under the slide that come down out of the floor and run the the outermost wall of the slide where they go up into the floor of the slide. A white and white with blue tracer. There is no power in either wire where they come down out of the floor. The wires coming into the light fixtures in the slide are white and white with red tracer. So somewhere there is a junction or splice in the wall. I’m going to pick up a cable tracer from harbor freight tomorrow after work. Maybe it will tell me where the break is.
Not quite. My post about the temporary wire from the negative on the convertor is to go to the black wire on your meter. That way you know you have a decent path to ground for measuring voltages.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:59 AM   #16

Generally...

Quote:
Generally in RVs, white is ground, any other color including black or white-with-tracer is positive. The reason for this selection was to keep it similar to the 120 Vac wiring where white is the neutral return and any other color was the switched source.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #17

I found the wires were disconnected inside the wire loom at the edge of the slide out. Used better connectors then the company used no problem since.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I found the wires were disconnected inside the wire loom at the edge of the slide out. Used better connectors then the company used no problem since.
Can you elaborate on where exactly the connection was located? I didn’t see any connections on mine between where the wires come down out of the floor and where they go up into the slide.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:00 PM   #19

The connection was in a plastic wire cover. Your might be different. Mine was right at the corner of the slide where the wires entered the slide. Because they were buried in the plastic wire protector is was hard to find.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, slide