Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #41
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Can you link or show make/model of a specific INverter charger, all-in-one unit? This is a product I'm unfamiliar with. Educate me, please.
Besides those mentioned by wmtire, here's a few more

Renogy Inverter Chargers

Victron Inverter Chargers

SunGold Inverter Charger

Samlex Inverter Chargers

There are others.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Besides those mentioned by wmtire, here's a few more

Renogy Inverter Chargers

Victron Inverter Chargers

SunGold Inverter Charger

Samlex Inverter Chargers

There are others.
I see. There is a converter built into the same package along with the inverter. The AC is converted to DC, which runs a battery charger. The inverter portion does not run the battery charger. So, an AC to DC CONverter actually powers the battery charger.

From Renogy’s description: “Inverter Chargers are extremely handy devices that convert DC power from the batteries into household AC power, as well as convert AC power into DC power that can charge deep cycle batteries.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:37 PM   #43
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I see. There is a converter built into the same package along with the inverter. The AC is converted to DC, which runs a battery charger. The inveryer portion does not run the battery charger. So, a CONverter powers the battery charger.

From Renogy: “ Inverter Chargers are extremely handy devices that convert DC power from the batteries into household AC power, as well as convert AC power into DC power that can charge deep cycle batteries.
I wouldn't say a CONverter POWERS the battery charger... it IS the battery charger. (along with providing 12v to the R/V when on shore power)

Again, they are simply an INverter and a CONverter/Charger in one unit instead of two separate units.

And before you go down this rabbit hole... should they be called INverter/CONverters instead of INverter/Chargers?... I don't have a clue other than this is what the industry has always called them... inverter/chargers... hence the reference to "there are some inverters that do charge batteries."

Old 11-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Some (but not all) R/Vs have inverters that do in fact, charge the battery(ies) especially motorhomes.
One simply can't make a blanket statement that an inverter does not charge the battery(ies) unless we know that persons particular system specifications.

Not all R/Vs are built the same.
It appears from the examples presented, that inverters don’t, in fact, charge the battery(ies). It simply happens that you can buy an inverter and a converter built into one package.

From Dometic’s Inverter Charger description:
“ Features
3000 watt pure sine wave inverter; 4800 watt surge (5 seconds)
High inverter efficiency - >90%
125 amp battery converter/charger
100 amp automatic transfer switch (50 amps per leg at 120V AC)
Built-in handles offers easier handling during installation
Industry standard protection features
Meets UL 458 with marine supplement
3 year warranty”

Quote:
I wouldn't say a CONverter POWERS the battery charger... it IS the battery charger. (along with providing 12v to the R/V when on shore power)
"
This is what I said in the beginning, in post #29, that the converter charges the battery(ies).
Old 11-15-2022, 01:50 PM   #45
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
From Dometic’s Inverter Charger description:
“ Features
3000 watt pure sine wave inverter; 4800 watt surge (5 seconds)
High inverter efficiency - >90%
125 amp battery converter/charger
100 amp automatic transfer switch (50 amps per leg at 120V AC)
Built-in handles offers easier handling during installation
Industry standard protection features
Meets UL 458 with marine supplement
3 year warranty”

This is what I said in the beginning, in post #29, that the converter charges the battery(ies).
You can split hairs and try to paint me in the corner all you want. Really.

My reference to YOUR post was for someone who might have read YOUR post and went looking for a traditional R/V CONverter in a unit that had a inverter/charger. They would not have found a separate CONverter but they likely would have found the INverter and possibly thought they didn't have a way for the battery to be charged.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #46

Quote:
You can split hairs and try to paint me in the corner all you want. Really.

My reference to YOUR post was for someone who might have read YOUR post and went looking for a traditional R/V CONverter in a unit that had a inverter/charger. They would not have found a separate CONverter but they likely would have found the INverter and possibly thought they didn't have a way for the battery to be charged.
You’re correct, a person with limited knowledge of the RV’s electrical systems could be easily confused or misdirected by the component descriptions, terminology, and even product manufacturer’s marketing materials.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:41 PM   #47

Quote:
You’re correct, a person with limited knowledge of the RV’s electrical systems could be easily confused or misdirected by the component descriptions, terminology, and even product manufacturer’s marketing materials.
Wow off on a few tangents . lets set the record

Converter

Inverter

Inverter/charger . all units will have at least one of the 3 and some 2 of the 3 .Can you guess of the units that have 2 of the 3 what the 2 are ?
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power, power