Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #1

Exclamation No Power after plugging in my 2020 E-Pro 19FD

Howdy, Puzzled
I winterized my e pro, put the batteries in the basement on wood for storage.
then this spring dewinterized the e pro, put the batteries back in, wired correctly from my photo file, everything came on with no shore power, plugged the shore power in, cleaned the e pro, left it plugged in for two days, gopower showed 100% charge. Took it for a camp trip, arrived at a camp, choice a site, was there two nights, then moved e pro to another site, plugged in to my Expedition, no problems, batteries were showing down by evening 50%-60%, spent three more nights, used the furnace all nights, then backed up the Expedition, hitched trailer with Expedition running, plugged the e-pro in, thought I heard a slight sound, not sure, I checked the panel, no power! no battery led light, no water pump, no nothing. BUT the GO Power unit was showing the battery volts 12.3. and had power.
So I looked at fuses, one at the battery disconnect switch in Yellow, all fine, one on the inline large black wire, was fine, opened the converter inside, all appear fine, except you can't see the top one, 15amp black on has no clear plastic to see.....
Was able to use the electric jack when plugged in, but no power inside the E-Pro.
Drove it home, called the dealer, talk to a tech guy, got my voltage tester out,
GMT-19A put it on DC V 50, tested the batteries, they are showing low DC65, but not bad. tested the terminals on both sides of battery disconnect switch, show DC65, tested the little terminal under the frame next to the electric junction box, DC65, found the little rubber/plastic reset button, pushed that, nothing happened. Plugged the Camper into shore power, everything lite up, left it plugged in for hour, Go Power was showing 100% battery charge. Unplugged the Camper, Nothing, no power, no led lights on control panel.
So I disconnected batteries, took them out, popped the caps, check water level, all fine, battery tester, only one ball floated in one, other two balls floated. I charged them up with a car charger.........right now.....
Will place them back in, hook them up.....

Any Ideas what the problem is??
The tech thought the problem is pass the batteries and terminals, perhaps somewhere in the camper, said take it to a Forest River Dealer. We called but can't get in till late summer, our dealer who sold us the unit is back in Michigan.
We are in Montana. Yeah I know we took a chance not buying local......uggg.

OK ANY IDEAS? Can the batteries be so low, power does not come on? I thought I blown a fuse, but all I found are fine, except I can't tell with the 15amp one in the converter.

Shore line works, everything fires up. OH and the reset button underneath glows pinkish?
Yellowstone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

If your batteries were discharged 50 or 60%, then you used furnace for 3 nights, you probably destroyed your batteries. I have not idea what DC65 means. I'm confused about the solar controller showing 100%, that would mean somehow the batts were fully charged. Sorry, hard to follow your writing with no paragraph breaks.

12.3v means time to recharge, but is not bad. One more thing to check is the inverter. Find it, mine is behind panel in front left outer compartment, but that is 2019 model. There is a reset button on bottom of inverter. Make sure it didn't pop.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #3

Well thank you for the reply, sorry for my rambling on with no paragraph breaks, I seem to do that. Anyway, actually the down draw on the batteries were not below 50%.
As for the DC65, that is the reading on my voltage regulator, which makes no sense to me either, so I am going in tomorrow to get a proper 12 volt tester.

I did find the inverter, in the drive side front corner behind a panel, found the breaker switch, after pressing, checking it out, appeared to be fine, not tripped.

I charged up the batteries, one is better than the other, both were brand new last year, they have a one year warranty, so I plan to ask on that.

Again the GO Power Solar controller works and shows one battery 100% charged.
Turns out the dealer did not hook both batteries to the controller, only one. It's weird the Solar Controller shows battery 100% charge and yet no power.

I keep thinking is must be a fuse. But perhaps the converter has gone bad? Not recognizing the 12 volt change over?

Still no power inside, at the switch panel by the door. Everything works if shoreline external power cord is attached.

I am going to plug it in for overnight, see if I hear the hum of the converter,
test the batteries again tomorrow. use a new 12 volt tester, see if I AM MISSING SOMETHING.

bob
Old 06-14-2021, 07:18 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

The solar controller will only show one battery bank. It views your batteries as one big battery. Battery 2 is only for a SECOND battery, like if you have a motorhome with a battery for engine. I have 2 6v batts connected in series, like a big 12v batt. I know in that case, if one battery goes bad, it will drag whole system down. I'm not sure if that is case for batteries hooked in parallel, which is what you would have if you have 2 12v batts.

I'm not real educated with converters, someone else would need to chime in.

btw, big improvement with paragraphs, give you a gold star, lol.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #5

Based on the info you provided, your batteries are fine. You have a problem between your battery connection and the converter inside the trailer. Unplug it from AC and disconnect from your truck, get out your meter, and trace where you lose DC power. There is probably an in-line fuse on the red wire from the battery to the converter, and there is a blade fuse in the converter labelled "battery" -- it is probably one of those burned or tripped.

When you find and repair whatever broke the circuit, you need to contemplate what caused it. For example, maybe the red wire got pinched and shorted to the frame?
Barry Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #6

Thanks Barry

AH! good information to know. I found the problem, after recharging both batteries with a car charger, reinstalled batteries, I checked all connections, plus all wire connections under the A-frame where a electrical junction box is located.

This was the advise given to me by the dealership tech guy to see if power was on both sides of the battery disconnect. Plus Two little breaker (switches/knobs/post) no sure what to call them.

Well I missed seeing the second one, because it was behind the wires, and the tech guy forgot to tell me there are two little breakers, one is for the solar connection from batteries and the second one is for the batteries to the inside 12 volt interior wiring. So power was no going through the upper one, So I called my dealer, talk to a different tech guy and he knew right away what the problem was.

Both are little breakers and trip if there is a surge in voltage, hence when I hooked up the E-Pro with my Expedition running, there was enough surge to trip the little breaker, the one from battery to the 12 volt interior wiring.

SO there is. a reset, little button on the side of the little breaker. Pressed it in,
light on the little unit off the junction box lite up! Works Fine! ALL SOLVED!

Hope this helps other owners of E-Pro Campers
Nice to know there is protection against a surge.
OH the bottom breaker for the solar appears to have no reset button......

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C00DC14D-A9DC-4BF8-BE54-D4A203B31EAC.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	257146  
Old 06-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #7
20BHS owner

Hey Bob, it looks like I'm kind of having the same issue. When I'm off grid only my GFCI outlets are working in my E-pro 20BHS 2020. batteries are new and providing 13.3V. electrical jack works, inverter is powered and GFCI outlets work.
nothing works besides that. Checked all the fuses that i can find and they are all fine.
Can you tell me where you found the reset button? My unit is winterized so I'm not able to look under the travel trailer without removing the winterization cover which is a lot of work.
Ruben 20BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #8

Ruben

Howdy, ummm facing the front of the camper, right side (driver side) look under the frame, meaning you have to put down a drop cloth, get on your back and look under the drive side corner of the camper. There is a row of wires leading into a electrical junction box that is attached to the frame. You have to look around or beyond the stabilizing jack.

In front of the junction box is a little rubber plastic box unit with a light, the light might not be on, given your issue, mine was off when the little breaker tripped. ( this was on when I plugged the camper to shoreline power.) Just 12 volt it was off.

In front of the light indicator are two little post, look at my posted photo. These are the little breakers that protect from any surge in power. My top one is the batteries to interior 12 volt wiring. The lower one is a breaker from batteries to the solar GoPower unit. I could not tell if the lower one has a reset button. the upper one does on my camper.

I pressed that and suddenly the little light unit turned on, and I had power inside the camper again, the light/switch panel by the door, switches which control the lights, water pump, awning switch etc. all started working again.

Hope this helps!

Bob
Old 06-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The solar controller will only show one battery bank. It views your batteries as one big battery. Battery 2 is only for a SECOND battery, like if you have a motorhome with a battery for engine. I have 2 6v batts connected in series, like a big 12v batt. I know in that case, if one battery goes bad, it will drag whole system down. I'm not sure if that is case for batteries hooked in parallel, which is what you would have if you have 2 12v batts.

I'm not real educated with converters, someone else would need to chime in.

btw, big improvement with paragraphs, give you a gold star, lol.
Does the similar Geo Pro's have these do you know? Meaning the two they found for the E pro.
2017 4Wheel Camper Hawk
Trail West 2 Horse Trailer
San Diego Area
Inciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #10
Site Team

The 12v resettable circuit breaker tripping is very often the cause of loss of 12v battery power, from the A-frame and back.
Most common cause is new owners hooking the battery up backwards.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #11

Little unknown breakers....

YEP, had no idea they were there. Thanks Dan for the info.

NJKris, As for GEO, Have not idea, we were told the E-Pro and the. Geo are the same.

Bob
Old 06-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstone007 View Post
YEP, had no idea they were there. Thanks Dan for the info.

NJKris, As for GEO, Have not idea, we were told the E-Pro and the. Geo are the same.

Bob
EPro and Geo Pro are twins, as are all of Flagstaff and Rockwood products are. Both brands are built in the same factory and only outside graphics and interior decor are different.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:47 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yes, same. When you search for info on the forum, type in e pro AND Geo pro to maximize hits for threads
Old 06-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #14
20BHS owner

Smile problem solved

Quote:
Howdy, ummm facing the front of the camper, right side (driver side) look under the frame, meaning you have to put down a drop cloth, get on your back and look under the drive side corner of the camper. There is a row of wires leading into a electrical junction box that is attached to the frame. You have to look around or beyond the stabilizing jack.

In front of the junction box is a little rubber plastic box unit with a light, the light might not be on, given your issue, mine was off when the little breaker tripped. ( this was on when I plugged the camper to shoreline power.) Just 12 volt it was off.

In front of the light indicator are two little post, look at my posted photo. These are the little breakers that protect from any surge in power. My top one is the batteries to interior 12 volt wiring. The lower one is a breaker from batteries to the solar GoPower unit. I could not tell if the lower one has a reset button. the upper one does on my camper.

I pressed that and suddenly the little light unit turned on, and I had power inside the camper again, the light/switch panel by the door, switches which control the lights, water pump, awning switch etc. all started working again.

Hope this helps!

Bob
Dude, so many thanks!

It was indeed just the 12V circuit breaker on the A frame that tripped. Previous owner had the trailer made 'winter ready', they covered up the bottom of the trailer, I had to remove some screws to get the isolation out of the way and was able to reach in and somewhere feel the breaker.
I feel a bit stupid but this is the first trailer we own. I also think that the way they isolated it is weird but at least I now know how to fix this. Again thanks, this saved me a trip to the dealer.
Ruben 20BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #15
D W

Quote:
AH! good information to know. I found the problem, after recharging both batteries with a car charger, reinstalled batteries, I checked all connections, plus all wire connections under the A-frame where a electrical junction box is located.

This was the advise given to me by the dealership tech guy to see if power was on both sides of the battery disconnect. Plus Two little breaker (switches/knobs/post) no sure what to call them.

Well I missed seeing the second one, because it was behind the wires, and the tech guy forgot to tell me there are two little breakers, one is for the solar connection from batteries and the second one is for the batteries to the inside 12 volt interior wiring. So power was no going through the upper one, So I called my dealer, talk to a different tech guy and he knew right away what the problem was.

Both are little breakers and trip if there is a surge in voltage, hence when I hooked up the E-Pro with my Expedition running, there was enough surge to trip the little breaker, the one from battery to the 12 volt interior wiring.

SO there is. a reset, little button on the side of the little breaker. Pressed it in,
light on the little unit off the junction box lite up! Works Fine! ALL SOLVED!

Hope this helps other owners of E-Pro Campers
Nice to know there is protection against a surge.
OH the bottom breaker for the solar appears to have no reset button......

Bob
Just so you know, those circuit breakers are not "surge protectors". They are rated in specific amperages and trip when the rated amperage is exceeded, or if there is a direct short in the circuit. If it reset without issue then somewhere along the line your current draw exceeded the amperage rating of that breaker.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power