Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2024, 05:27 PM   #1

No Power Anywhere - Solar Controller?

Couldn't start my MH. Chassis battery dead. Couldn't get generator started. No lights or anything with battery switch on and solar control panel was blank.

Jumped the MH from my truck. Seemed to give me enough juice to start the generator. Now with the battery switch on, everything looks normal for Batt 1 on the solar control panel. But everything reads 0 for Batt 2, including the temperature. It also shows Batt 1 in day mode (a sun symbol) and Batt 2 in night mode.

This leads me to believe that there's a total disconnect between the solar and the chassis battery but I'm not an electrician and I really don't understand how this works.

If the chassis battery goes totally dead, is there some kind of protective logic that disconnects the solar power from it?

I've read about resetting the control panel to fix a permanent night mode problem. How would I do this on my model?
Old 02-06-2024, 06:08 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

You didn’t mention what brand of solar controller you have. Here’s mine on our 2018 Sunseeker 2430S.

BTW….Your story would seem to indicate something was draining your chassis battery. A healthy battery at rest (>12.5VDC) should be good for several months, and strong enough to start your motor. And on my rig…..the generator gets its starting power from the house batteries under the entrance step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7168.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	296817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7167.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	296818  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:22 PM   #3

I have the Way solar system. Totally different than what you posted.

I agree that it's weird that the chassis battery seemed to drain down for some reason. But the solar controller wasn't keeping it topped off, either.

I'm fairly certain that my generator gets its juice from the house batteries as well, but it wouldn't start until after I'd jump started the actual motorhome.

Tags
controller, no power, power, solar