Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

Red face No Power to Radio in 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS Jensen

Hi All -

on the 2015 Sunseeker, typically the radio gets power with Key Ignition or when Master Switch is ON. However, just recently, there is no power to the radio either way. I suspect a fuse or relay, however, I have yet to find it. With so many fuse boxes, has anyone have any hints? Ithought it was the fuse on the radio, so I had the Radio Unit out and checked the 15A fuse on the radio and it was good. While I had access, I put a meter on the 12v lines and no volts, So i figure it has a circuit fuse before the radio. As it is getting power by Master Switch and also chassis, i suspect it is not the chassis fuse box. Anyone ever experience this? The sunseeker 2015+ years seem to power the radio with Master Switch on so you dont need a key. Therefore, I think there is a single circuit for this use.
Maddog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #2

Can't help with the problem. However this would be a good opportunity to get rid of the Jensen and upgrade.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:32 PM   #3

No Power To Radio

In This case, the radio does not have power so I think it has to do with the way FR has it wired for Coach power and Chassis Power. However, i had the radio partially out and it would be a full day job to update that. There is a ton of connections unravel and connect.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:06 AM   #4

you can get a newer version of the same radio plug and play same connections on ebay or somewhere. Or you can upgrade and pay a shop to swap it out. I already did this in my Sunseeker. I wish I would have upgraded. My unit the touch screen stopped working. It still played cd's though. I got a newer version of the Jensen unit. It is still junk low power, navigation sucks. I use a garmin unit for navigation. On mine the unit was 7020. New unit was 7023. I think it is only 8 watts max x 2. If you plan on keeping the rv I would suggest an upgrade alpine, sony, pioneer or something better. 50 watts x 4. The navigation units are pricey though.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #5

Radio has no Power

In this case, I dont think it is the radio as I had it partially out to check the fuse on the radio and also check if power was present. I am not getting power to the radio. Sunseeker has some circuit to draw from Coach Battery X2 switch on, or Ignition. I get nothing. I am convinced there is a fuse or relay somewhere. If all the fuses are good in each box i checked so far, then it is something else or inline I can't locate. If i can get power restored, i may upgrade the Double Din unit, but there is a ton of wiring to re-do. It will be a day project in a 2015 Sunseeker 3010.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
2012 Solera

On our 2012 MBS Solera, Forest River included a small proprietary circuit ahead of the radio in the power line. Both the chassis ignition switched power and the house main cutoff switched power run to the proprietary circuit; circuit output is to the radio power input. This circuit allows the radio to work with the ignition off and the house cutoff turned on; with the ignition on and the house cutoff turned off; and with both turned on. The radio is off when both the ignition and the house cutoff are off.
If your radio acts this way, you may have a similar Forest River proprietary circuit in the radio power line. I believe the circuit is basically a set of diodes feeding the radio from each source, implemented to avoid having the chassis battery attempt to feed the house through the radio wiring when the house cutoff is turned off.
Note - there is another non-switched power line to my radio which maintains the clock, station and other radio memory when main power to the radio is “off”.
This proprietary circuit, if present in your vehicle, may have failed, or may have an inline fuse which may have blown.
In my Motorhome the circuit is in the wiring leading to the radio.

FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #7

Hi,
I like how most of the responders did not address your question.
I have a 2014 Sunseeker that I drove halfway across the country without music because I could not find the fuse to make the radio work. When I got home, I finally had the time to track it down to a fuse in the Battery Control Center which is the black panel in the stairway of my RV. Do not remember the size or which one it was but it should be easy enough to look for a blown fuse in there. It was one of the regular automotive type fuse. I found it by dumb luck and a lot of searching. I hope this helps you with yours. Good Luck
Old 01-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #8

Radio has no Power

I want to thank each respondant. So, i got the wiring diagram for the Jensen that is installed in the Dash. From what i can tell. The Yellow line, which is a thicker gauge wire is connected to a Positive Battery supply (Not accessory).
The RED line, thinner wire, I believe is the line you referred to in the post about the radio working whether or not the ignitiion or the X2 switch is engaged.
That line probably does not need much current on it as it just tells the radio to turn on. Now with regard to the Fuse Box coming in the stairwell. I have no idea how you found that. Most of that panel was before the master switch, with Slide, kitchen and stuff on it. But I found one 15A fuse blown, I will try that next. I will report back.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #9

You need to pull radio out it has a inline fuse ....
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
You need to pull radio out it has a inline fuse ....
The OP includes “I had the Radio Unit out and checked the 15A fuse on the radio and it was good.”

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #11

Did you see there are to fuses 1 to memory 1 to radio and check to see if powered?
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #12

No Power to Radio in 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS Jensen

Well - Here is the update. As a prior poster pointed out, I found a 15A Fuse blown on the Battery Control Circuit (The panel you see when you come in the door on the 3010. That was an excellent find, i would never think to look there. Unfortunately, there is not much information on this panel, so I HIGHLY Recommend you take a photo of that and what fuses are in there. There is not even a diagram of what fuses are in it. Take a picture! Now, The one 15A fuse is marked Auxillary. Just like the prior post before, this is an excellent find. However, my journey did not end, When i replace the fuse it immediately blows. Here is what i know. This Aux circuit goes to the Radio and provides the Yellow lead power (Constant 12V). As some pointed out, there is a proprietary circuit to the radio. One lead coming off the Ign Accessory and one coming from the Master Switch, that when either is enabled it turns the radio on which is the red line on the Jenson. That circuit is rumored to be behind the radio. The proprietary circuit is most likely 2 diodes that permits circuit one way or another without cross over to chassis. So, here is the next steps. I have to pull the dash apart again, pull the complete radio out and disconnect the power to the radio. Once out, i can see if that fixes the 15A Blown Fuse issue. If not, i have to trace more down. It is strange, because the 15A Chassis fuse is not blown, and the inline 15A Fuse on the back of the Jenson is not blown. I started looking for a new radio to replace the whole thing out at this point too. But first, I would like to get the Aux circuit working. So, i plan to "Find" and troubleshoot the proprietary circuit with a meter and verify all 12v supply.

I also have to check the powered sub under the dinnette to see what it shows with a meter to rule out a short as that also gets power from the radio. I had recent seal work on the slide and this started right after that work. So, i must check it. I dont have a wiring diagram to the Aux circuit, but everything works but the radio, so I am thinking that is the only thing on this circuit located on the BCC. I will post more updates.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog999 View Post
Well - Here is the update. As a prior poster pointed out, I found a 15A Fuse blown on the Battery Control Circuit (The panel you see when you come in the door on the 3010. That was an excellent find, i would never think to look there. Unfortunately, there is not much information on this panel, so I HIGHLY Recommend you take a photo of that and what fuses are in there. There is not even a diagram of what fuses are in it. Take a picture! Now, The one 15A fuse is marked Auxillary. Just like the prior post before, this is an excellent find. However, my journey did not end, When i replace the fuse it immediately blows. Here is what i know. This Aux circuit goes to the Radio and provides the Yellow lead power (Constant 12V). As some pointed out, there is a proprietary circuit to the radio. One lead coming off the Ign Accessory and one coming from the Master Switch, that when either is enabled it turns the radio on which is the red line on the Jenson. That circuit is rumored to be behind the radio. The proprietary circuit is most likely 2 diodes that permits circuit one way or another without cross over to chassis. So, here is the next steps. I have to pull the dash apart again, pull the complete radio out and disconnect the power to the radio. Once out, i can see if that fixes the 15A Blown Fuse issue. If not, i have to trace more down. It is strange, because the 15A Chassis fuse is not blown, and the inline 15A Fuse on the back of the Jenson is not blown. I started looking for a new radio to replace the whole thing out at this point too. But first, I would like to get the Aux circuit working. So, i plan to "Find" and troubleshoot the proprietary circuit with a meter and verify all 12v supply.

I also have to check the powered sub under the dinnette to see what it shows with a meter to rule out a short as that also gets power from the radio. I had recent seal work on the slide and this started right after that work. So, i must check it. I dont have a wiring diagram to the Aux circuit, but everything works but the radio, so I am thinking that is the only thing on this circuit located on the BCC. I will post more updates.
OK, I did not mention this but my radio died because my dinette slide broke in Ohio and I had inadvertently shorted out the wires to my subwoofer when I was working on the slide. The subwoofer is in the outside compartment of my slide. Maybe when they worked on your slide, they shorted out the power wire to the subwoofer and did not repair it. It would be a good place to start.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #14

No Power To Radio

Aha! They did work on the main slide. They replaced the lower seal there and my top and side seals. After that, this was broke! I was going to check that next. I juist hope it is a wire that i have access too. Otherwise, I have to dsisconnect that circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman View Post
OK, I did not mention this but my radio died because my dinette slide broke in Ohio and I had inadvertently shorted out the wires to my subwoofer when I was working on the slide. The subwoofer is in the outside compartment of my slide. Maybe when they worked on your slide, they shorted out the power wire to the subwoofer and did not repair it. It would be a good place to start.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #15

No Power To Radio

UPDATE. You all must find this entertaining.

So, i pulled the access panel off to see the SUB under the dinette seat, Unplugged it and checked for short in wire. Nothing, but I left it unplugged. Replaced the fuse in the BCC panel and the RADIO came back on. I then, plugged the sub wolf in, and then the fuse blows. So, for now, I left the Sub unplugged. Strange thing though is the radio now stays on regardless of the Master Switch on/off, which leads me back to the proprietary circuit again. Am at the point since i have to open the dash again, i may just revert this radio back to the chassis power harness as I only need this radio when driving. I have other means in the coach for music. SCOSCHE FD23BCB Car Speaker Wiring Harness Connector Kit for Select 2004-Up Ford Vehicles will reconnect me back.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #16
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog999 View Post
UPDATE. Strange thing though is the radio now stays on regardless of the Master Switch on/off, which leads me back to the proprietary circuit again.
On my Motorhome, if both the house master switch and the vehicle ignition are “off”, there is no power input to the proprietary circuit, so there can be no output - and the radio will not turn on. Don’t see how a problem in the proprietary circuit could cause the radio to still turn on with both sources “off”.

FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #17

No power at radio

Right Jim. The reason I have to check that circuit is it's the only one that turns the radio on. If there is a constant 12v then there's a wire switched somewhere. Which I'm starting to suspect from the service. Maybe they accidently hit a wire when working on my slide.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #18

I had a heck of a time when I replaced the Jensen with a Pioneer NEX on my 2015 Forester. I installed it with the same power connections as the Jensen and it would work briefly and shut off. I eventually sent it back for warranty and they reported that it was fine. So then I started checking for bad grounds and power connections and discovered that the power wire coming from the house batteries that was bundled with the speaker wires was only 7 volts, how that is possible I’m not sure. But I ran a new power wire and it works fine now either with the key or the battery disconnect.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #19

I was actually checking out the pioneer NEX as a replacement. I was going to go with that for the Android Auto capability. First. I got to solve the power issues. I'm seriously thinking to revert back to the chassis power harness and cut ties to the house battery. But first I'm gonna try to troubleshoot the blue wire connection.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I had a heck of a time when I replaced the Jensen with a Pioneer NEX on my 2015 Forester. I installed it with the same power connections as the Jensen and it would work briefly and shut off. I eventually sent it back for warranty and they reported that it was fine. So then I started checking for bad grounds and power connections and discovered that the power wire coming from the house batteries that was bundled with the speaker wires was only 7 volts, how that is possible I’m not sure. But I ran a new power wire and it works fine now either with the key or the battery disconnect.

I am curious. So, under the main slide at the subwoofer, i found a thicker 2 wire pair (White/Black), and a seperate Blue. The thick white/black pair should be the constant 12v and one wire, a ground. The seperate blue is supposed to be the remote that comes on w/ accessory. When you ran a seperate wire, where did you run from? I am trying to determine where the main feed is from the BCC before it comes up and goes to the Dash and also to the sub. I have suspicon it is a junction box outside in one of the forward storage carpartments. However it is a bit cold out right now, so working on it has to wait a bit. lol

Tags
jensen, power, radio, sunseeker