Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2022, 09:48 PM   #21

So something has to be blocking the power from coming in hence the converter isn't working nor anything else
Drpparker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpparker95 View Post
So something has to be blocking the power from coming in hence the converter isn't working nor anything else
Nothing is "blocking" the power from coming in. There is something broken or wrong that is preventing it from passing through.

First off you need to tell us what year and model trailer you have.

Can you post a picture of you main RV breaker panel?

As Navy said you need to unplug the trailer then take the front cover off you breaker panel and tighten all the screws on the breakers, and the bars where the white and bare wires go. PLug the trailer back in, turn on the pedestal breaker then see if there is 120V AC on the screw for the main breaker.

Lets start there. If you are uncomfortable sticking your hands into a live breaker panel then see if a friend or the electrician can help.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:13 AM   #23

Plug the camper into an outlet powered by a different breaker. This will confirm/refute the trailer as the issue. You will then know if it's the house wiring or something within the trailer.
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:50 AM   #24

Quote:
So would a bad converter cause the lack of power to everything
Troubleshoot one piece at a time. As has been mentioned, shut off all the breakers inside your trailer. Plug in your trailer, turn on the breaker at the pedestal. Measure the incoming voltage at your power center. Do you have 120 volts that far? If it's good so far, turn on the main breaker, and individually turn on one at a time.

There are lots of experienced rv-ers on here and they have helped troubleshoot many an issue. IF they are given all of the info.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:53 AM   #25

Quote:
The pedestal is putting off 110 volts and it's a double 30 amp breaker but only one breaker is wired
An electrician would have used a proper 30amp single breaker. It's total hack work to use 1 side of the double breaker like that.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #26

Assuming the shorepower worked before moving to Auntie's land the issue is most likely right there on Auntie's land specifically the power post -- it's the only variable in this equation.

-- Chuck
Old 08-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #27

got a long 15-20 amp extension cord + a 30amp adapter...
plug it into a 20 amp outlet in the garage to the 30amp plug and see if that gets power to the trailer
Old 08-10-2022, 09:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Has anyone taken a multimeter and actually measured voltages at the outlet you are plugging into, the end of the shore power cord where it attaches tovthe R/V and at the power distribution box in the R/V? This has been asked/mentioned several times.

You keep saying the breaker trips but then say nothing comes on. Time to do some basic testing.

Let us know the results.
at this point everything else is just a guess. a problem like this is easily diagnosed, and the correction is probably just as easy. but you have to systematically find the problem. it could be anywhere in the incoming shore power path.

start at the pedestal and use a meter to check for voltage. then move to the next junction point and check again. keep moving and checking until you find where power disappears. it would probably take less time to do this than to read and create all the posts about the problem.

there's no sense going at things in a willy nilly fashion.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #29

No one mentioned that when checking the voltage at the pedestal, make sure hot and neutral are not reversed. You would still measure 120V and never notice.

Jim M.
Attached Images

jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #30

Did you look?

Quote:
The pedestal is putting off 110 volts and it's a double 30 amp breaker but only one breaker is wired
Single 30 amp breakers are readily available. Did you see this one? Might be that the panel in the home is not one of the common ones.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:20 PM   #31
Part-Time Campground Host

Watching.
Hope the OP posts back with the fix.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:15 PM   #32

I recently had a 30 amp outlet installed as well, I had to show the electrician a wiring diagram he wasn’t familiar with RV outlets.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:24 PM   #33

Call your electrician back. Dare them to lie to you. Your charger is now blown up because of 220 volts
Storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #34

Are you using a surge protector with an EMS? If so, are there any codes from the EMS?
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:57 PM   #35

Wise Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I recently had a 30 amp outlet installed as well, I had to show the electrician a wiring diagram he wasn’t familiar with RV outlets.
Wise move!
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:36 PM   #36

Perhaps you should invest in a good surge suppressor for your camper. The good ones do several of the power at the pedestal and will let you know everything is good ... or will tell you what is wrong. There are plenty of problems at parks as well so it is great to have one of these to make sure your camper is protected.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:03 PM   #37

Send a message via Skype™ to SalP
Quote:
MODERATOR NOTE:
The errors in this post have been pointed out/explained/corrected in post #39. Please take notice.

If you have a double 30amp breaker and only one breaker of the two is wired, then you don't have 30amp service. You need two hot leads, one from one side of the breaker and one from the other side of breaker to the hot terminals on the 30amp receptacle. Then you also need a neutral from the neutral bar in the panel to the neutral post on the receptacle.

From what you stated it seems like you only have 15amps (one hot from the breaker) and maybe the neutral wire. Make sure you have three wires from the panel to the 30amp RV receptacle. If you only have two, then you have 15 amps and that's what keeps tripping the breaker, too much draw on too little supply.

Just a guess here, not an electrician, but I just wired up my 50amp circuit with a double breaker (50amp) and I have each hot lead wired into each of the 2 breakers making up the double breaker. I don't even see how a single 30amp breaker would work in this situation unless it has a place to wire in two hot wires.
SalP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:06 PM   #38
Site Team

It's been about a week since the OP last posted. I think, at this point, we should wait on commenting until they return.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:18 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalP View Post
If you have a double 30amp breaker and only one breaker of the two is wired, then you don't have 30amp service. You need two hot leads, one from one side of the breaker and one from the other side of breaker to the hot terminals on the 30amp receptacle. Then you also need a neutral from the neutral bar in the panel to the neutral post on the receptacle.

From what you stated it seems like you only have 15amps (one hot from the breaker) and maybe the neutral wire. Make sure you have three wires from the panel to the 30amp RV receptacle. If you only have two, then you have 15 amps and that's what keeps tripping the breaker, too much draw on too little supply.

Just a guess here, not an electrician, but I just wired up my 50amp circuit with a double breaker (50amp) and I have each hot lead wired into each of the 2 breakers making up the double breaker. I don't even see how a single 30amp breaker would work in this situation unless it has a place to wire in two hot wires.

This is not correct on many levels. A 30 amp RV service, is never a 120/240 volt service like a 50 amp service is. It NEVER uses two hot legs and is always 120 volt service only. If properly wired, it's supposed to be a single pole 30 amp breaker, but one half of a double pole 30 amp breaker would accomplish the same thing (although not really a proper way to do it).

Also when using half of the double pole breaker does not "half" the amps provided (as you stated would be 15 amps). It would still be 30 amps in a 120 volt scenario..

Here is a great website to help understand the differences between 30 amp and 50 amp service.

https://www.myrv.us/electric/

Here is a link to a sticky thread we keep in the FAQ section on how to properly wire a 30 amp RV outlet:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...let-27223.html

and this diagram may help too:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:25 AM   #40

Absolute bs - do not do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalP View Post

50 A is split phase 120v. What you just described is 220V and WILL toast the trailer. Only 50 amp with one leg from each side of the panel and a neutral will be correct. If you don't know, don't comment.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power, power, shore power