Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

no screws on AC outlet plate

Probably a dumb question, but my GFCI is the only outlet with screws on the faceplate. I'm trying to track down a loose wire on my other outlets, but the faceplates have no screws. I'm assuming you use a knife to pry them loose, but where should I apply pressure so I don't make matters worse by breaking the plate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170627_110104.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	142888  
SARDogDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #2

The faceplate snaps on and off. Just gently pull and it will pop off. If you want to remove the outlet itself, you'll need to loosen the screws and make sure the little tabs behind it are moved out of the way. You can then pull the outlet out to check the wires. In almost all cases the outlets are the push-in type for the wires.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Lacking a reset button, that outlet is merely gfci protected not the gfci control outlet.
What's the condition that you suspect a loose wire?
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDogDad View Post
Probably a dumb question, but my GFCI is the only outlet with screws on the faceplate. I'm trying to track down a loose wire on my other outlets, but the faceplates have no screws. I'm assuming you use a knife to pry them loose, but where should I apply pressure so I don't make matters worse by breaking the plate?

That receptacle is GFCI "protected", not an actual GFCI receptacle itself. It is a regular receptacle that is connected to a GFCI upstream somewhere.

If it does not have power, you need to find the GFCI receptacle that it is connected to and make sure that GFCI receptacle is not tripped.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

Looking for a loose wire in one of the others, not the GFI outlet.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Looking for a loose wire in one of the others, not the GFI outlet.
Our point is it's probably not a loose wire anywhere, but more likely a check of the the main gfci to make sure it's not tripped, and if it is, resetting it will prob ably fix his problem.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #7

That was not how I read it, but I could be wrong!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
That was not how I read it, but I could be wrong!

You are correct in saying he is searching for a loose wire in another outlet. But, in essence what the others are saying is he may just have a "tripped" GFI switch that controls power to the others on that same circuit, resulting in a faulty switch / plug. Therefore by resetting the GFI on the same circuit line corrects his problem.

In addition, last week I was pulling out a cord plug from the Outlet in the kitchen area, and then, and only then, did I realize how cheap these outlets are made, installed and secured. Rather Crappy!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
You are correct in saying he is searching for a loose wire in another outlet. But, in essence what the others are saying is he may just have a "tripped" GFI switch that controls power to the others on that same circuit, resulting in a faulty switch / plug. Therefore by resetting the GFI on the same circuit line corrects his problem.

In addition, last week I was pulling out a cord plug from the Outlet in the kitchen area, and then, and only then, did I realize how cheap these outlets are made, installed and secured. Rather Crappy!
Exactly.! Last year when i was living in our tt while or new home was under construction, all my ac outlets were dead.Our one gfci outlet could not reset. So, i replaced it--fixed the problem. I guess it could be a loose wire, but i really doubt that's the problem.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Exactly.! Last year when i was living in our tt while or new home was under construction, all my ac outlets were dead.Our one gfci outlet could not reset. So, i replaced it--fixed the problem. I guess it could be a loose wire, but i really doubt that's the problem.

Totally agree.

I've had GFCI receptacles last decades and some don't make it a week. I just replaced a GFCI on a pedestal that was less than a year old.

Definitely should start at the GFCI and go from there.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #11
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post

I replaced all of mine with these from HD.

Rocker Switch Plates - Switch Plates - Wall Plates - Wall Plates & Jacks - Electrical - The Home Depot

used small drywall mollies (plastic ones) to hold these in securely.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #12

I have replaced the actual GFCI. It did not solve the problem. I have AC going up to my breaker panel, but have randomly been unable to get power to my appliances and outlets after traveling. I figured there might be a loose wire along the chain. Usually I'd tighten all wires at my GFCI, reinstall it, and plug my shore power back in and it would work. Not this time. Thus the new GFCI. When I first installed it, I plugged the shore power in. Everything worked. I unplugged shore power. I put the outlet back in the wall, put on the faceplate. Plugged shore power back in. Turned on all my breakers. Nothing worked. I'm at a loss.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #13

Are they push in wires on the GFI? It might be the tight space that it fits into. Just a guess. I thought reading your first post that you had it out. Maybe just enough pressure on the wires in the holders to cause an open and not work.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #14
Site Team

IF you are having intermittent 120 AC in more than one circuit it must be
at or near the main panel. Start with the shore power cord itself.
Is it damaged possibly or a loose connection where the cord connects to
the main panel.
IF it's all good there and the main breaker has power coming out but your
appliance and GFI outlets are dead it's still gotta be right there in the panel.
Possibly a loose neutral buss??

It's in the panel IMO.

Good luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Are they push in wires on the GFI? It might be the tight space that it fits into. Just a guess. I thought reading your first post that you had it out. Maybe just enough pressure on the wires in the holders to cause an open and not work.
He says he installed the new one -- everything worked! Then he put it back in the wall??? and nothing worked. How can that be? Now I'm at a loss!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
He says he installed the new one -- everything worked! Then he put it back in the wall??? and nothing worked. How can that be? Now I'm at a loss!
I read that he changed it. I noticed mine were very tight in the wall with a spacer for the GFCI. Thats why I asked if they were push in. Same as I thought he had it out from the first post. Since they breakers were off ,shore power disconnected, pluged in turned on and didnt work, has to be at power panel. Circuit breaker connection or the ground conn. on the panel. Id check everything there next.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #17

Before you start fishing for wires, if you are comfortable with working on the breakers, disconnect power from the RV. Pull out the breaker for the line you want to check and make sure the wire in the back is actually securely attached. On the initial voyage for one of my trailers, it had a wire just laid into the back of the breaker. Therefore, I would get intermittent power on that line. The breaker would trip occasionally, but during that trip, I was on 30-amp, so figured it was because I was trying to run too much. However, it got worse.

I only found the root cause, by smelling melting wire insulator. I immediately disconnected the power and started tracing the smell. It was strongest at the converter box, so I felt the front of each breaker. One was very hot. I pulled that one out and when I did, the burnt wire fell out of the back of the breaker. I drove to Lowes, and bought a breaker, removed the charred portion of the wire, reconnected it, and reinstalled the breaker. Problem, solved.

Yes, the dealer reimbursed me for the cost of the breaker.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #18

I think my next check will be to pull breakers and check wires, starting with the main.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #19

All my breakers appear OK. Something new, I noticed, is my battery no longer appears to be charging with shore power plugged in. I removed my GFCI, wires intact from the wall, to see if the power would reengage when I plugged in shore power. No go. What would keep the battery from charging? That may be the culprit for the whole issue. When it sporadically exhibited this before, the battery may not have been charging before, but it was never off for more than 24 hours.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #20

You should have a converter to charge bats. Check the fuses for the converter, they could be blown. They would be the big fuses.